Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael Bisping has the best agent in sports...

• 15-02-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭

We mostly have the same opinion of Bisping. Loud mouth, arrogant etc. And an average fighter. Maybe a bit above average but never a title contender.

Scary then that he earns so much money! Not all wage info is available but the Nevada ones are;

UFC 66 (Eric Schaefer) - $24k

UFC 70 (Elvis Sinosic) - $24k (not sure if that's accurate, didn't think they released figures for UK events)

UFC 75 (Matt Hamill) - Unknown

UFC 78 (Rashad Evans) - Unknown

UFC 83 (Charles McCarthy) - Unknown

UFC 85 (Jason Day) - Unknown

UFC 89 (Chris Leben) - Unknown

UFC 100 (Dan Henderson) - $150k!

UFC 105 (Denis Kang) - Unknown

UFC 110 (Wanderlei Silva) - Unknown

UFC 114 (Dan Miller) - $325k!!! (175 to fight + 125 to win)

UFC 120 (Yoshihiro Akiyama) - Unknown

So he went in against Miller at 114 after going 1-2 in his last 3, and made $325k...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Only GSP (officially) earned more in 2010 Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Only GSP (officially) earned more in 2010 Link

Well as you said (officially) that doesn't include the PPV cuts that the big boys like Lesnar, Couture, Liddell etc have in their contracts.

But it's figures like $325k for beating Miller at 114 that are unreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

DrPhilG wrote: »
    UFC 100 (Dan Henderson) - $150k!
    ...aaaand a 4x4 for coaching TUF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

for all you Bisping fans out there ESPN classic is starting the UK v USA TUF series this week. Just so ye can fall in love with him all over again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

They market him to the brits. Him as the english face of the ufc bring in the money more so than hardy.

• Advertisement

They market him to the brits. Him as the english face of the ufc bring in the money more so than hardy.

But bring in the money where? Most of his fights have been in the UK which are not on PPV, and his headline US show against Evans only did 400k buys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

But bring in the money where? Most of his fights have been in the UK which are not on PPV, and his headline US show against Evans only did 400k buys.

long term thinking by the UFC, get new fans in.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    long term thinking by the UFC, get new fans in.

That makes sense to a certain extent, but not for that money. Compare him to recent MW title challengers.

Sonnen in his last 3 fights has been on a standard basic + win bonus, with the figure around $27-$35k.

Dan Henderson was on around $100k per fight + win bonus, but bear in mind that he came into the UFC as a 2 division champ and was eventually let go because he wasn't worth the money!

Demian Maia was on similar to Sonnen, around $28 - $35k fight + win. That stayed the same for his first fight after the title shot.

Marquardt (going back a bit to his title shot but still a more relevant fighter than Bisping) jumped from $28k to $40k after his win over Kampmann.

Even the UFC's golden boy, Forrest Griffin has only been making about $250 per fight (including win bonus), that's still less than the $325k Bisping made at UFC 114! I don't think Griffin has a PPV deal.

He was the original face of the english mma fighter in the ufc. He got pushed, is seen by the general english as quite likeable. English fight fans will buy anything with a fighter they like ( Haye vs Harrison) Mike Bisping hasprobably brought in more money to the ufc than any other english fighter.

Dana white is not a stupid businessman, if he's paying that money per fight you can bet he's making much more than he's paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭p to the e

He was the original face of the english mma fighter in the ufc.

You're forgetting Ian the Machine Freeman

• Advertisement

p to the e wrote: »
    You're forgetting Ian the Machine Freeman
    I said the original face, not the original. Do you honestly think Ian freeman was marketed to the english people the way Bisping has been?

He got pushed, is seen by the general english as quite likeable.

:D Source? Most I've spoken to don't like him. He's an arrogant bugger. Scud from here can testify to that as far as I remember. Plus the more he's pushed as the main event name in the UK, the more the fans resent him because it's an insult to the fans to expect them to swallow MB as a top name.

Dana white is not a stupid businessman, if he's paying that money per fight you can bet he's making much more than he's paying.

Maybe so. I expect him to be well paid because of who he is, but $325k just blows my mind. Forrest Griffin being the best example, he's done far more for the UFC in terms of boost to their popularity, most would say his fight with Bonner saved the UFC. Plus he's actually got talent to back it up and has won the LHW title. Yet he's not earning as much as Bisping?

MB can't be far from the highest earner in the MW division. Silva is on $200k without a win bonus, but I'm sure he gets a PPV cut too, (although he's not that big a draw). Belfort got $275k for his last fight but no idea if he would have made a win bonus or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Like it or not, Bisping is a big deal in MMA. Had it not been for his success there would have been no TUF 9, and therefore no Pearson, Wilks, Winner or Oszipsak.

And realistically, Bisping is a WWE style heel, a wind up merchant. As far as british fighters in the UFC go, he's not as big an offender as Lee Murray or Paul Daley :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

I like Bisping,met him twice and was cool, people hate the man because he talks a lot of crap (even though lately hes cut back a bit on that). Hes doing well in the UFC and if they want to pay him 200k+ per fight then let them at it.
    Having sai that i dont see rivera as a big step up, he needs to be fighting marquardts and okamis etc, if he beats rivera he needs either one of these 2, cant hold him back forever!

Scud was organising the Fight Club party before UFC 93, he approached Bisping to see if he would attend and Bispng's only concern was how much of a fee he would get...

And this was back when his latest wins were McCarthy, Day and Leben.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Scud was organising the Fight Club party before UFC 93, he approached Bisping to see if he would attend and Bispng's only concern was how much of a fee he would get...

And hes dead right too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

it's not his shows that add value to the UFC, its the other 20 shows a year that fans he brings in buy.
    Cain is worth huge value to the UFC for a similar reason, mexican/latino market. (on top of being a huge draw in his own right).
    George Sots is worth a lot too given the aussie market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Not entirely true, it was Fangy who was organising one of the other parties, he mailed Bisping, explaining that it was an FC party etc and all he wanted to know was how much he would get paid for appearing.

I first met him in the Bar at the Hilton in 72, he was cool then, since then though i've run into him 4/5 times, and each time he's got more and more obnoxious

scudzilla wrote: »
    Not entirely true, it was Fangy who was organising one of the other parties, he mailed Bisping, explaining that it was an FC party etc and all he wanted to know was how much he would get paid for appearing.

I first met him in the Bar at the Hilton in 72, he was cool then, since then though i've run into him 4/5 times, and each time he's got more and more obnoxious

Ah fair enough, got my wires crossed.

Principle is the same though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

As much as it kills me that he gets paid so much, Dana White is paying for a market! He pays that much because UFC need a face in the UK. Sure they're not even pretending he's a top guy anymore, they're putting him against the likes of Rivera to protect the investment that's all.

And UFC do it because they CAN do it! It happens in a lot of sports. Manchester United pay Park Ji Sung approx £75,000 a week. He rarely plays close to half of Man Utd's league games, but he's a tool for the Asia market.

Darren Fletcher was earning a reported £30,000 a week up until a pay rise about 2 years ago. Now he earns around the same as Park. Fletcher has long been a First Team regular at Manchester United. But he's not a marketable player.

Sometimes it's about smart business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

(PS: This guy has the best agent in sports!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

God dam agents ruined the game...etc.

Advertisement