If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surround sound system advise - PS3/50" TV

Options
  • 15-02-2011 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have been looking into getting a surround sound system for my living room the last few weeks and it looks like the guys on boards swear by you. Could recommend me something?

I have a budget of about 700 euro to spend and my TV is an LG 50" full HD. I use it mostly for watching BR's and playing games on my PS3 so I am looking for something to really show off the sound... I also use it for digital UPC but this isn't as important as getting the sound right for the PS3 BR's and games.

From doing a bit of research it looks like I would need a receiver and also 5.1 speaker set (2 front, 2 back, 1 middle). I am a fan of the floorstand speakers but not sure if these are essential (for hi fi only?). The soundbars look great too but again not sure if this would be needed.

I would also like the receiver to be scalable to 5.1+ so that in a year or two i could splash out on some additional fancy speakers if i needed.

I'd also be looking for delivery to Dublin (not sure if this is an issue)

Any insight you can provide would be great.

Thanks,

OR

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

OmegaRed wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have been looking into getting a surround sound system for my living room the last few weeks and it looks like the guys on boards swear by you. Could recommend me something?

I have a budget of about 700 euro to spend and my TV is an LG 50" full HD. I use it mostly for watching BR's and playing games on my PS3 so I am looking for something to really show off the sound... I also use it for digital UPC but this isn't as important as getting the sound right for the PS3 BR's and games.

From doing a bit of research it looks like I would need a receiver and also 5.1 speaker set (2 front, 2 back, 1 middle). I am a fan of the floorstand speakers but not sure if these are essential (for hi fi only?). The soundbars look great too but again not sure if this would be needed.

I would also like the receiver to be scalable to 5.1+ so that in a year or two i could splash out on some additional fancy speakers if i needed.

I'd also be looking for delivery to Dublin (not sure if this is an issue)

Any insight you can provide would be great.

Thanks,

OR

OR,

apologies for the delay getting back to you and thanks for the opportunity to quote!

I really agree with you about floorstanders - if you can fit them they look great and of course they sound W A Y better - however they do generally cost more :).

I have put together a Cambridge Audio / Denon system as follows (Which does break the budget I'm afraid)

Subwoofer: Cambridge S90
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/subwoofers/cambridge-audio/s90/camb-s90-blk

Floorstander speakers * 2 Pairs: Cambridge S70
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/cambridge-audio/s70/camb-s70-blk

Slick looking centre speaker Cambridge SL40:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/centre-speakers/cambridge-audio/sl40/camb-sl40-gls-blk

AV Receiver - Denon AVR1311:
    http://denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=83742842-dc75-4090-b169-b916700fd158&SubId=43eadffa-05fc-430a-a586-b5137428cc5f&ProductId=04c11b6e-f41b-42a1-8159-c648ccb177cc

Now comes the nasty bit - that all comes to £869.95 / €1049.99 which I acknowledge busts the budget - but it will sound excellent!

The options, to get closer to the budget, you could substitute one pair of the floorstanders at the rear to the Cambridge S30 and the system price would come down to £769/ €899

http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/cambridge-audio/s30/camb-s30-blk

Or if you want to keep the floorstand theme we could replace the S70's with 2 pairs of the Wharfedale CR30.4 and that would save you £180 to take the system price to £690/ €829.99 (and it would all sound great as well!)

http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/wharfedale/cr30.4/whar-cr30.4-blk

Hope the above does not confuse you - also you will need some leads ie HDMI & Speaker cables to get you up & running which we will do you a great price on if you can tell us what lenghts etc you need.

Apologies again for keeping you waiting and drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Ok, lets say that I could stretch my budget (Damn you and your sound goodness...:))

If I went for the 1st option ( £869.95 / €1049.99) could you give me a price that includes cables? I would need:

1 meter for the front L/R
    1 meter for center
    1 meter for Sub
    6-8 meters for rear
    plus anything else you think I would need (HDMI, UPC-cable speaker IO cable's, etc)

Also, I presume would this be located in Dublin or is it Belfast? I could pick up in Dublin and at a push I could head to Belfast to pick up. I would also be paying cash so I hope that can be taken into consideration here :) Feel free to PM me

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Ok, lets say that I could stretch my budget (Damn you and your sound goodness...:))

If I went for the 1st option ( £869.95 / €1049.99) could you give me a price that includes cables? I would need:

1 meter for center
    1 meter for Sub
    6-8 meters for rear
    plus anything else you think I would need (HDMI, UPC-cable speaker IO cable's, etc)

Also, I presume would this be located in Dublin or is it Belfast? I could pick up in Dublin and at a push I could head to Belfast to pick up. I would also be paying cash so I hope that can be taken into consideration here :) Feel free to PM me

OR,

thanks again and apologies for the post - and apologies for driving up the budget - I'm only trying to help the economy ;).

Option 1 will sound spanking with those nice floorstanders and a decent subwoofer as well (don't tell the neighbours in advance..)
    1 meter for center
    1 meter for Sub
    6-8 meters for rear

Thats about 10 Mtrs of cable - I normally try to give Boardies who are buying a system 20% discount on cables & interconnects so I'll do the excellent Cambridge Symphony 200 at £1/Meter instead of £1.49/Meter ( I know thats more than 20% But I'm too lazy to get the calc at the moment) so 10 mtrs would be £10

On the Sub cable if you only need 1 meter we can do the SWA6305 1.5 mtr cable (which is silly value at £12.99) for just £10.

You will need a couple of HDMI cables as well and we have the Tech Sol 1.4a 1.8 Meter HDMI's at £9.95 which I'll do at £7.99 each - so your cable total would be £35.98 (call it £35!)

Keep me posted and apologies again for the delay,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.