Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 month old won't eat

• 15-02-2011 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

My little girl is a 10 month old dustbin....or was....

The last number of days she wont eat. She eats her breakfast in the morning for the most part, but usually spends more time hitting the bowl or looking anywhere but at me.

The foods she usually loves she wont touch. She hardly eats dinner or lunch. Last night after not eating chicken and broccoli and potatoes she wanted some of my neighbours dinner (chips)

I'm not sure if it's just teething or maybe she wants to start feeding herself?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is she ill? If you are concerned for her health, do talk to your nurse / doctor.

Be wary of over-feeding or giving too much to drink during the food - try to give it at the start / end. If baby isn't hungry, its difficult to get anything into them.

Are you doing all the feeding? Why not get her some suitable finger food, e.g. some boiled egg, a toasted waffle, pieces of soft vegetable or fruit - all cut to a suitable size / portion and let her try that. It still needs to be a balanced diet, of course.

My sister's friend had about 5 kids under 10 and the 1 year old was mostly capable of feeding itself once the food was put in front of it - a matter of eat or starve! Someone else who had only one child at age 3 was still doing all the feeding and the child would have starved if it wasn't fed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

James went through a few periods where he didn't want to eat very much at all. He had colds and teething pain. It started around the 10 month mark as well.

My new philosophy is that he'll eat when he's hungry, and he does. He's back eating lots again now.

It is annoying serving up meal after meal only to have to throw it out though I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Our little man went through something similar at 10 months, it was teething. You can imagine how sore their little gums are when teeth are breaking through, the last thing she would feel like doing is chewing. He went off his food for about a week or so but then went back to his old self, eating all around him. maybe try her with something soft, like mashed banana and see if she eats that.

If you think it's something else that's causing it though, might be best to ring the doc for advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Elisha has been the same for last two weeks, last week she was off food this week its bottles. I tried everything but all she would eat was yoghurts. This week now she'd eatting two dinners and a breakfast and a dessert but wont drink bottles.

She's cutting two top teeth and another bottom so i reckon its all to do with this.

Be careful though if her cry sounds hoarse or anything like that she could have a throat infection Elisha had one 6/7 weeks ago and wouldn't eat then either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

If she's teething a great thing for her would be a piece of apple or pear from the freezer. If there's a choking risk you could wrap it in a piece of muslin. Either way she can hold it herself. At around this age both my kids refused to be fed and wanted to do it all themselves. I put an oilcloth (or newspapers) under the highchair and had a specific hideous 'eating dress' that I wore myself and let them get on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Teething or tonsils.....she might be hatching something! She sounds like my guy, would eat the hand of God!! Only time he doesn't is when he has a sore throat or teeth hurt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 hibride

Hi,

My daughter almost stopped eating solids when she was around 12 months old. I was worried, but nontheless she was healthy, still playing, laughing, etc. Then I found out that it's so normal, they grow sooo much the first months that they need a lot of food, but as soon as the growing slows down, they simply stop eating as they did before. Maybe that's your baby's case?

This is a translated text from a Spanish pediatrician, hope it helps. I wish I had time to translate for you, but I had to use Google Translator and it has many errors, but still some parts are understandable. He basically explains how most babies stop eating at around 12 months, some at around 9, some later than 12 months, and that even some never stop eating, all perfectly normal. He talks about calories and food and why your baby may be refusing vegetables, etc

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.paraelbebe.net%2Fmi-nino-no-me-come%2F

Advertisement