Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver- Custom Fitting

Options
  • 15-02-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone knew of places in Dublin where you can hit a wide range of different driver shafts on a Launch Monitor?

Have been to Foregolf and they are excellant but you have to buy from them to get the results and the price of shafts here is way higher than abroad/ web.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

mcguirks kinsealy driveing range i got custom fitted there for about 30euro gave me the info needed and a price of the driver no pressure to buy it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Fore Iron

I wasn't aware that foregolf were not giving you the results. Is that not a bit out of order? You pay for the fitting don't you?

Most places will charge for the fitting but if you buy from them then the fitting is free, and they use that as the incentive to buy there stuff.

edit:

Actually, just thinking about it - not giving you the results is crazy. You pay for the fitting and leave with nothing. You are forced to spend a large amount of money to get your hands on the results by which time it is too late since you have just ordered a club from them. Surely that can't be right??

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mr.mickels

What exactly is involved in fitting services? The equipment has moved on ALOT since I used play, it used be a case of pick the club that felt nice. Drivers seem to offer a few shaft options, besides the stiff regular.

What drivers are most recommended these days, I am considering buying a new club myself, would like to know something about the shaft options, what each mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Fore Iron wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that foregolf were not giving you the results. Is that not a bit out of order? You pay for the fitting don't you?

Most places will charge for the fitting but if you buy from them then the fitting is free, and they use that as the incentive to buy there stuff.

edit:

Actually, just thinking about it - not giving you the results is crazy. You pay for the fitting and leave with nothing. You are forced to spend a large amount of money to get your hands on the results by which time it is too late since you have just ordered a club from them. Surely that can't be right??

That's not right. At the end of the session you are given a print out of whatever Foregolf recommends along with prices.

That's not right. At the end of the session you are given a print out of whatever Foregolf recommends along with prices.

Janey that's what I thought! Phew! They are said to be the best on the planet for fitting. I would love to go to them one of these days, but I know from talking to them that I simply can't afford their prices on clubs and shafts. At least I know you can go there get a fitting and get the results and decide what to do next later on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭pinseeker

with regards fore golf you get print out of clubs they recommend and price but you do not get the details of what lie they recommend or length.so trs30 is kinda right with regards having to buy from them as you cant go elswhere when not aware of spec.when i got fitted dave was reluctant to tell me during fitting what lie i was trying,did tell me i was hitting inch longer shaft however.i was fitted for 2degrees upright and in print out it did not state that so wouldt be much use to go elsewhere.that being said i found it superb and would recommend them to anyone looking to be fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Garda S Horgan

Sounds brutal to be honest.
    If you pay for a fitting, then buying the club should be completely seperate.
    They should be giving you every single scrap of information that you are payng for, up to the point of suggesting the exact make/modle/lie/length/weight/torque/grip size/kick point etc etc. If you want to buy the club from them then they need to price is properly or knock the fitting price off the club.
    If thats not whats happening then I can't see how they can be recommended/
    Yes, they may be the best at fitting, but if it's really about holding the information so you'll have to get the club from them then it's not right.
    What are the facts here? Are people getting fitted and leaving with every single scrap of information a fitter can provide? or not?

My own view is that unless you're off 5 or less it would suffice to go to somewhere like mcguirks or halpennys and go to the range and hit a wide variety of clubs and shafts. Getting custom fitted will match a club to your swing on that single day. If you are not good enough to replicate that same swing every single time, then the custom fitting is pointless.
    I've got custom fitted for irons and all that happened was I hit a lot of brands and shafts and just ruled out those that had a bad ball flight when I thought I made a decent swing, not killing the ball. For driver, people tend to stand up and lash balls so they end up getting a shaft that is too stiff for them on the course.
    My 2c.

Yours in wonderment,
    GSH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

pinseeker wrote: »
    with regards fore golf you get print out of clubs they recommend and price but you do not get the details of what lie they recommend or length.so trs30 is kinda right with regards having to buy from them as you cant go elswhere when not aware of spec.when i got fitted dave was reluctant to tell me during fitting what lie i was trying,did tell me i was hitting inch longer shaft however.i was fitted for 2degrees upright and in print out it did not state that so wouldt be much use to go elsewhere.that being said i found it superb and would recommend them to anyone looking to be fitted.

This is similar to my experience.

First let me clarify, Foregolf are excellant at fitting. You do not become World club maker of th year for nothing. However, when I went to them I knew the club I hit best but was not given the specifics of lie, shaft length etc till I had agreed to pay. When I then checked the price of the clubs online I was paying a premium of about 20%. Some online places will adjust lie, loft, shaft length for free.

I am looking for a shaft to put in my driver to try and get the best launch angle, spin rate etc to maximise length and accuracy. Some of the after market shafts are expensive but can be picked up much cheaper second hand, online etc.

All I want is to go hit a number of different shafts, with someone who can tell me which one is best and then I can go and buy it. I am happy to pay for this but not pay over the odds for the shaft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

So I presume once you have paid for clubs from them they will then realese all details regarding lie, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Sounds brutal to be honest.
    If you pay for a fitting, then buying the club should be completely seperate.
    They should be giving you every single scrap of information that you are payng for, up to the point of suggesting the exact make/modle/lie/length/weight/torque/grip size/kick point etc etc. If you want to buy the club from them then they need to price is properly or knock the fitting price off the club.
    If thats not whats happening then I can't see how they can be recommended/
    Yes, they may be the best at fitting, but if it's really about holding the information so you'll have to get the club from them then it's not right.

+1 - everyone should have the choice to buy the finished product wherever they want.

Most of us think like this now and are looking to shop around. What I normally weigh up is do I want to bother spending time scouring the net, buying from the US/UK, dealing with shipping / delays / potential customs costs etc. etc.

For some items the answer is yes, for others I may want to keep it local and pay someone like Foregolf to provide me with what I want there and then.

However - WE (the customer) should decide this and not companies like ForeGolf. Poor form indeed.

• Advertisement

since its a driver your looking to get fit for trs30 ive been thinking is fore golf still the way to go,reason being is our experiences have been with irons,the print out did state shaft and model but not the important things like lie and length.but if you go hit driver and you get shaft and model that best suits you printed then that all you need to go elsewhere.just make sure you have peek at loft on the head ha...mind you if your hitting new heads like 910 and r11 they might be setting it up in the bloody umteen positions and not tell you on read out which way they had it set up for best results.now that would be annoying.

since its a driver your looking to get fit for trs30 ive been thinking is fore golf still the way to go,reason being is our experiences have been with irons,the print out did state shaft and model but not the important things like lie and length.but if you go hit driver and you get shaft and model that best suits you printed then that all you need to go elsewhere.just make sure you have peek at loft on the head ha...mind you if your hitting new heads like 910 and r11 they might be setting it up in the bloody umteen positions and not tell you on read out which way they had it set up for best results.now that would be annoying.

I would say that you would not get the the details on spin rate, swing speed, ball speed etc unless you buy the shaft from them. However I could be wrong and would be interested in hearing from anyone who has gone for a driver fitting.

My Foregolf experience seems to be at odds with everyone else. I was given a print out of the shaft/club specs and prices after my session.

In terms of lie etc, that was all explained to me during the session. Through the combination of the two, i'm able to go off and source the clubs/shafts i need from wherever i want.

TRS30 wrote: »
    I would say that you would not get the the details on spin rate, swing speed, ball speed etc unless you buy the shaft from them. However I could be wrong and would be interested in hearing from anyone who has gone for a driver fitting.

i was told when hitting my own driver that he would not bother having me hit another driver as was hitting it well but friend also got fitted same day and had to ask few times to to be told swing speed,i never was told for either 6iron or my driver which is shame as would have liked to know.i think its just case of Dave being more interested in just the visual aspect of how ball reacting.he did mention that to me about being at it so long he just needs to see the flight of ball and maybe feels all the figures would be meaningless to some.again to be fair the results speak for themselves.

did you give impression mister sifter that you were there to buy on day,maybe that's why he gave so much info.i asked was i going more upright and just got smile and told just trying diff things.

did you give impression mister sifter that you were there to buy on day,maybe that's why he gave so much info.

No, not at all. In fact he was very easy going in that respect, which is why i'm surprised at some of the comments on here. I didn't get the impression at all that i was under any obligation to buy from them and didn't really commit either way in terms of how i was going to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

No, not at all. In fact he was very easy going in that respect, which is why i'm surprised at some of the comments on here. I didn't get the impression at all that i was under any obligation to buy from them and didn't really commit either way in terms of how i was going to buy.

When did you get fitted though? It seems to me that withholding the precise specs is a recent development designed to stop people buying elsewhere.

By the way when I asked them directly about this I was told it was so they could "control the quality and If they gave out specs and people bought elsewhere there could be no comeback of the customer saying ' you said this would work for me but it doesn't'" which to be fair is bull**** If I went and bought elsewhere then I understand that it's my problem if the product does not work.

I think it's really bad form to be honest. I mean, you're paying a premium price for the fitting. To come away from that and to be told brand X driver with Brand Y shaft is the best fit for you is about as useful as an ejector seat on a helicopter. Not Impressed at all:mad:

I must say I am thouroughly disgusted at this. I had the utmost respect for foregolf given their record. But the latest stuff on here really is very poor.

If anyone is not being given their specs after a fitting when asking for it then that is absolutely terrible. And finding out what the specs are after you agree to pay is more than a little late.

They are providing a service - custom fitting - and as such such be obliged to give you all the information that is gathered in the delivery of that service. Imagine your gas man servicing your boiler but refusing to tell you what condition it is in, unless you agree to buy a new boiler. It's pretty pathetic actually. There is always a chance that the spec of your existing clubs turn out to be very close to perfect. So foregolf think it is OK for you to find that out after you agree to pay for a new set?

"Hi, I'd like a custom fit please"

"Sure thing, come on in."...."There we are. All done. That will be 50 quid"

"How did it go, what did you find out?"

"I'm not telling you. That will be 50 quid please"

Just mad.....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

Was planning to head out in the next couple of weeks with a mate for fitting but we where under the impression we could have all the data and recomendations. No point in heading now as no intention of buying from FORE.

Has anyone been to Carton House for a fitting??

Jasonw wrote: »
    When did you get fitted though? It seems to me that withholding the precise specs is a recent development designed to stop people buying elsewhere.

By the way when I asked them directly about this I was told it was so they could "control the quality and If they gave out specs and people bought elsewhere there could be no comeback of the customer saying ' you said this would work for me but it doesn't'" which to be fair is bull**** If I went and bought elsewhere then I understand that it's my problem if the product does not work.

I think it's really bad form to be honest. I mean, you're paying a premium price for the fitting. To come away from that and to be told brand X driver with Brand Y shaft is the best fit for you is about as useful as an ejector seat on a helicopter. Not Impressed at all:mad:

I was fitted at the start of this month.

Seems my experience is a lot different (better) than everyone else's. If it's as bad as what people on here are making out, i'm amazed people are simply moaning about on here (presumably months after) and haven't taken Foregolf to task on it.

If i'm not happy with a service i wouldn't pay or would ask for a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Garda S Horgan

They are the best in the world at club making. That was the award.
    If the plan was to go and get custom fitted but not ask them to build your clubs for you then it's just a custom fitting and I reckon for 99% of golfers a custom fitting at any range with a large selection of heads and shafts would be fine. A normal fitting centre will be able to tell you all the inforamtion you need. If you want clubs to be built then the best in the world is foregolf.
    Unless you are looking to have clubs made for you, then no need to go to a clubmaker?

Yours etc,
    GSH.

• Advertisement

Foregolf were considered the best around for custom fitting long before the clubmaker award came along. I've had two 'normal' custom fitting sessions before, and one with Foregolf. Derek Murray's knowledge of clubs etc was phenomenal on the day and the choice variations given to me also. So far above the half-arsed efforts offered by McGuirks and co.

They might not have an award for 'custom fitter of the year' or whatever, but, in my experience, when it comes to identifying which clubs/shafts/combinations suit your game best, Foregolf is the best around. And i know many others who agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Seems my experience is a lot different (better) than everyone else's. If it's as bad as what people on here are making out, i'm amazed people are simply moaning about on here (presumably months after) and haven't taken Foregolf to task on it.
    If i'm not happy with a service i wouldn't pay or would ask for a refund.

I'm in agreement here too. I was delighted with my fitting and I had problems too regarding my shaft selection after fitting. I was asked to comeback for a refit and was then given a new shaft and it was replaced foc with a new grip. The replacement shaft then had a small crack and was replaced foc with a new grip and never questioned. Derek in Foregolf was always asking me during the fitting process what I felt and was I happy, did I have questions and relayed my spin rate, launch angles and shafts I was trying. He was constantly explaining why he was trying different shafts and what his objective was. At the end of the session I was given a print out with choices. The fitting was so comprehensive and detailed I was left knowing exactly what it was I needed. My experiences conflict with most of the negative comments being posted? I would recommend them to anyone without hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

L.O.F.T. can you tell us how much you spent on clubs there?

I have booked in for a fitting there and while I have no worries regarding the quality of the work and the service they provide, I am wondering whether the clubs they would sell me would have much a premium on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

I have absolutely no problem or question that when it comes to club fitting and club making they are the best in Ireland. That’s not what I have the issue with. My problem isn’t even a question of price as I’m a firm believer that all things being equal – you get what you pay for. I want, and am prepared to pay for the best.

In my case I have a bit of a moral dilemma. I would like to support my club pro in some way. He is a pretty good guy to have as a pro and has no problem letting you take out clubs to try out etc. So I’d feel pretty bad if I take advantage of this facility and then arrive back at the club with 2 grands worth of clubs that he made nothing on. I mean, Most of the clubs I’ll buy from Fore golf, you know, anything that might have an exotic shaft or whatever, but would it kill them to give me the exact specs of one or two of the clubs so I can buy them from him?

L.O.F.T wrote: »
    I'm in agreement here too. I was delighted with my fitting and I had problems too regarding my shaft selection after fitting. I was asked to comeback for a refit and was then given a new shaft and it was replaced foc with a new grip. The replacement shaft then had a small crack and was replaced foc with a new grip and never questioned. Derek in Foregolf was always asking me during the fitting process what I felt and was I happy, did I have questions and relayed my spin rate, launch angles and shafts I was trying. He was constantly explaining why he was trying different shafts and what his objective was. At the end of the session I was given a print out with choices. The fitting was so comprehensive and detailed I was left knowing exactly what it was I needed. My experiences conflict with most of the negative comments being posted? I would recommend them to anyone without hesitation.

Just to clarify, again. Foregolf are excellant at what they do. I had a great experience with Dave and he fitted me with a perfect set of irons. I asked before about specs and was told that I had to buy from them to get the details (not make or shaft, but lie angle, shaft length etc) so no issues there. It was after when I got home and saw that I could the same spec for a good bit less.

I would like to go hit a number of different high end shafts and see the numbers so know which best suits my swing and then go and get that shaft myself. I will contact Foregolf and see if that is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

Anyone else willing to put up spec and prices of golf clubs they have bought at foregolf? IMO there is little point recommending how "nice" the fitting was unless you also tell us how much you spent on the clubs (particularly if the data gathered at your fitting are not given to you).

Aesop wrote: »
    Anyone else willing to put up spec and prices of golf clubs they have bought at foregolf? IMO there is little point recommending how "nice" the fitting was unless you also tell us how much you spent on the clubs (particularly if the data gathered at your fitting are not given to you).

I'm willing to do it, but it will cost you €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kyleman

hi all. started late at golf and now playing for about 10 years. bought 4 sets of irons in that time all supposedly fitted for me and every time i traded them in got nothing for them. got down to 9 last year but was hooking a lot of shots so decided to head to foregolf and got fitted by dave.liked the iron he fitted me for so much i ordered them straight away so didnt ask for specs and dave told me my own driver was a perfect fit but 3 wood and rescue were to whippy . i told him i was only going to change irons at that time and he handed me a printout of specs and prices for both. i bought the irons titelist ap1 s for 660 euros which is a bit above some shops but for that i got irons i love with the grips of my choice. was in mcguirks last week and ap1 s are 599 euros . when i drove up to collect my irons derek asked me was i happy with the grips and as i was delighted with them he told me to bring in my driver 3 wood and rescue club plus my 3 vokey wedges and he also re gripped them and wouldnt take a cent extra. more importantly to me the hook is gone and best money i spent since i started

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Have you managed to reduce handicap since you got the new irons?

• Advertisement

A price of 660 versus 599 is not that bad really. You can get that much variation between other stores too.

I was quoted a price by foregolf of around 200 to 300 euro more for a particular set of irons last year compared to halpenny or mcguirks.

Whatever about the prices, I still can't believe that people are asking about whether the lie is upright or what swing speed etc and they're not being told. Such a shame, but foregolf have gone severly down in my estimation as a result. They are the best you can get for club fitting there is no doubt, but that really only counts if money is no object. I would like to have thought that people on a budget could get the benefit of foregolfs expertise in fitting and be allowed to shop around for the actual clubs.

Advertisement