Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cancellation

• 15-02-2011 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I had UPC 20 meg, completed my contract with them last year and then just continued on a month by month basis.

The straw broke recently and I wrote a letter of cancellation in the 3rd week of Jan (they should have received that week). They said 30 days from receipt to cancel, but on the 4th Feb they charged me for 2 months usage.

Do i stand any chance of recouping half of this considering 30 days from receipt would only be 20 days into the month?

Anyone know if it's worth getting the regulator involved?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you pay by direct debit you can (apparently) ask your bank to refund you what they have overcharged.

not sure what the criteria are for 'overcharged' but it's got to be worth a shot. IMHO, going by past experiences you'll be a long time waiting for UPC to give you your money back otherwise, but ring them and see first before you whip it out from under their noses. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

vibe666 wrote: »
    if you pay by direct debit you can (apparently) ask your bank to refund you what they have overcharged.

not sure what the criteria are for 'overcharged' but it's got to be worth a shot. IMHO, going by past experiences you'll be a long time waiting for UPC to give you your money back otherwise, but ring them and see first before you whip it out from under their noses. :)

They would appear to be mindbogglingly inefficient when it comes to cancelling an account.

I cancelled on the 15th December last and continue to be harassed for money (another phone call this evening exactly two months after my email to them! Imagine they threatened to cut me off which is what I have been asking them to do for the last two months!!) you would think that they would be only too happy to get rid of me of all people.

When you cancel any service you should make sure to cancel your direct debit. Did you do this?

In the normal course companies who have charged in advance, as all utilities do, should issue a final "bill" and if there is credit remaining they should refund you. You would be liable to pay them up to the third week in February anyway with having to give the months notice.

Certainly in my recent experience noone in there appears to know what anyone else is doing (and that would lead you to wonder does anyone know what they themselves are doing).

Full information on your rights in respect of the dd scheme is available here;

http://www.ipso.ie/section/DirectDebits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Thanks very much for the help advice you two!

I didn't cancel the direct debit and should have, it'd be happy enough to pay for 1 month but they normally charge for 2 every 2nd month, so they took 99.50.

According to my reasearch i can go back to the bank, inform them i've been overcharged by 49.75 and they'll refund my account, they then seek the difference from Chorus NTL.

Advertisement