Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

600 Points in the Mocks?

• 15-02-2011 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I'm just wondering, have any of you, or anyone you know, got 600 points in the mocks. I'm thinking it must be doable for some, but I certainly have never heard of it. Failing that what's the best any of you have gotten in the pre, and did you get the 600 when it came to the LC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 keeirs

yeah a girl in my school from last year did. she got an A2 or something in english & got it rechecked & yeah..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Friend of mine got the 600 points. He educated himself for the most part and was well ahead of his entire year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Noone I know ever got 600 in the Mocks. One friend got it in the Leaving but he got about 500 in the Mocks. i guess it's less common cause some of the course content isn't covered yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

No. However I do know a girl who got 240 in the mocks and 560 in the LC!!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Cousin got 320 in mocks and then 7 A1s...she did them without any tips or hints etc and had loads left to study when she did them though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

A guy in my school last year got 600 in the mocks, and ended up with something like 570 or 580 in the Leaving. I'd imagine up to two, or even three people will get 600 in the mocks in my (mega nerdy) year :-P

Alas, due to a stupid number of stupid mistakes I made in the stupid maths paper, I certainly won't be one of them :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AgathaK

600 points... Oh, the dream... :P
    I feel that I am average, so I'd need to get my butt together and study for the remainder 3 months! At least 530 points badly needed, with my inability to do history, english, in pass maths and doing LCVP... :P Super.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Actually, I think getting 600 points in the Mocks would be a disaster!

Firstly, the pressure! ... parents, teachers, friends, etc., all expecting 600 in the real LC ... imagine getting 590 in the LC and seeing disappointment on your parents' faces, how crazy would that be!

Secondly, 600 in the mocks would only encourage you to take your foot off the pedal, even if only subconsciously.

So ... I sincerely hope NONE of you get 600 in your Mocks! :p

I agree, but I already feel pressure from my parents, even though it's only the mocks. :(
    They think that mocks are a big reflection of one's ability... And on top of that they don't understand the CAO system.
    me: i think I failed maths today.
    mom: well that'll be 60 points off your CAO!
    me: but you count the best six subjects, mom... (-..-')
    mom: but it is 60 points!

:P

I already feel that I am going to do very badly in the mocks, even though I am an A-B student. Timing is a disaster for me. So hopefully if the mocks don't go too well I will be only encouraged to work harder!

AgathaK wrote: »
    They think that mocks are a big reflection of one's ability... And on top of that they don't understand the CAO system.
    me: i think I failed maths today.
    mom: well that'll be 60 points off your CAO!
    me: but you count the best six subjects, mom... (-..-')
    mom: but it is 60 points!
    Tbh, my experience from these forums is that lots of the students / applicants don't understand it either, so don't be too hard on her! ;)

There's a reason why the CAO sticky at the top repeats the same message 3 times in 3 different ways! >_>

Why, I don't know ... it's not that complicated. I reckon laziness to actually read their handbook is the main reason tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I suspect many CAO forms are filled in by mammies.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

spurious wrote: »
    I suspect many CAO forms are filled in by mammies.
    This is very very true.

I have known someone who got 560 in the mocks and 505 in the real thing...madness. Mock examiners seem to be real examiners except tripping on acid. They either mark everything wrong or give you an A for writing your name on the exam booklet. The mocks are more for the experience of sitting the exam, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dannnnn

I heard of some girl who got 600 points in the mocks, then failed everything in the real Leaving Cert exam. Whether she studied like a beast for the mocks and then did nothing for 5 months and smoked crack on the day of the L.C. exam, nobody knows.

But yeah, it's entirely possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Dannnnn wrote: »
    I heard of some girl who got 600 points in the mocks, then failed everything in the real Leaving Cert exam..

I'm finding it hard to understand how she got 600 points in the mocks and 0 points in the Leaving cert. Are you sure it's not the other way around? :confused:

I heard of some girl who got 600 points in the mocks, then failed everything in the real Leaving Cert exam. Whether she studied like a beast for the mocks and then did nothing for 5 months and smoked crack on the day of the L.C. exam, nobody knows.

But yeah, it's entirely possible.
    No offence, Dannnn, but that sounds like one of those urban myths which go around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

No. However I do know a girl who got 240 in the mocks and 560 in the LC!!

EPIC!It is do-able...4 months is a hole lot of time to get down and serious with the LC. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

couple of years (ok, many moons) ago when i was doing the LC, some lad got about 200 points in the mocks and (i think) 410 in the real thing. Nearest to 600 in the mocks was around 540 i think.

I don't know how people manage to pull off an A from English. To me it is like mission impossible. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

AgathaK wrote: »
    I don't know how people manage to pull off an A from English. To me it is like mission impossible. :P

I always get A's in English.

But other than that I can't get an A in any other honours, but the odd time I might get a B.

I'd say someone in my school WILL get 600 in the mocks this year. Some lads in my year are just braniacs, but I guess if they get cocky its their own fault.

I'll be happy if I get about 400 now and maybe closer to 500 or higher in the real thing.

English really depends on the corrector... I got an A in the JC for mocks, did not stop working, got a C in the real thing... I had different teachers in 5th and 6th year, one graded me in As, Bs, now with the teacher I have I'm happy with a C3.

Same here. I already feel that I'm doing pretty bad in these mocks. But I have got to get 500-520 in the real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Dannnnn

No offence, Dannnn, but that sounds like one of those urban myths which go around.

Urban myths are real.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Failing would not lead to zero...feeling so well capable after skills class, such a good time to do one, bang on target before the mid-term! Here's to a productive week!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

Ive never heard of someone getting 600 in the mocks but I just finished my mocks last week and I've got 580.. It's probably a bad thing not a good one. Also it doesn't include Japanese which im doing outside of school and is probably my best subject. And I was one mark off an A1 in accounting so I wasn't far off the 600 at all... It makes me worried and not happy though.. I just feel like I won't be able to repeat this in June at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Mocks are good for getting the timing of exams right but until Trinity and UCD accept mock points for their courses that's all the mocks are going to be useful for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

ruadhan wrote: »
    Ive never heard of someone getting 600 in the mocks but I just finished my mocks last week and I've got 580..

You got all of your results back already?:confused:

Urban myths are real.
    I have yet to have a baby alligator hop out of the loo and take a snap at my dangly bits! :P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

NotExactly wrote: »
    You got all of your results back already?:confused:

All except English. Most of my classes are quite small you see so a week is long enough for the teachers to correct them as ling as they're not lazy.. Oh yeah we don't send our ones away to be corrected like some schools do. I would say I wouldve done worse if we had though.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭danoboy254

NotExactly wrote: »
    I'm goin' to have to disagree with you on that one, boy.
    I think 0 points in the mocks would be the WORST thing possible :D

Granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

i got 540...results came home yesterday... i feel so relaxed! like i don't need to study but i do...so i do suppose high points is a bad thing in the mocks :)

109 days till the lc btw ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

brownlad wrote: »
    i got 540...results came home yesterday... i feel so relaxed! like i don't need to study but i do...so i do suppose high points is a bad thing in the mocks :)

109 days till the lc btw ;)

Quiet you!

Advertisement