Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

600 Points in the Mocks?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

AgathaK wrote: »
    I agree, but I already feel pressure from my parents, even though it's only the mocks. :(
    They think that mocks are a big reflection of one's ability... And on top of that they don't understand the CAO system.
    me: i think I failed maths today.
    mom: well that'll be 60 points off your CAO!
    me: but you count the best six subjects, mom... (-..-')
    mom: but it is 60 points!

:P

I already feel that I am going to do very badly in the mocks, even though I am an A-B student. Timing is a disaster for me. So hopefully if the mocks don't go too well I will be only encouraged to work harder!

Good God I think I just found my twin!! :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

brownlad wrote: »
    i got 540...results came home yesterday... i feel so relaxed! like i don't need to study but i do...so i do suppose high points is a bad thing in the mocks :)
    DON'T fall into the trap!!

Esp. as I recognise the name from the Mocks thread! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

DON'T fall into the trap!!

Esp. as I recognise the name from the Mocks thread! :p

Nah man.. I was on the first page of that thread lol cause I was posting hints not taking hints... And I was one of the first to have the mocks... So it was all me brah ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Nah man.. I was on the first page of that thread lol cause I was posting hints not taking hints... And I was one of the first to have the mocks... So it was all me brah ;)
    Fair enough, and good for you!

I still say "don't fall into the trap!", however.

You probably deserve a nice relaxed mid-term though! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 seriousman

Does anybody think i still have time to achieve a good grade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

seriousman wrote: »
    Does anybody think i still have time to achieve a good grade?

I don't even know your name nevermind your aptitude , motivation levels and where you stand with your subjects ATM , but I sapose yes there is still time if you work very hard that is.

Fair enough, and good for you!

I still say "don't fall into the trap!", however.

You probably deserve a nice relaxed mid-term though! :p

nah man gota keep focused only 109 days left ..2616hrs left to study :D ......156960 mins :p 9417600 million seconds as of 12.00am on the 20th of feb :eek: ..............SURE PLENTY OF TIME ;)

nah man gota keep focused only 109 days left ..2616hrs left to study :D ......156960 mins :p 9417600 million seconds as of 12.00am on the 20th of feb :eek: ..............SURE PLENTY OF TIME ;)

Haha how sad if you actually calculated that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AgathaK

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Good God I think I just found my twin!! :O

Oh Gosh, I thought I'm on my own. :P

Anyways I've got to improve that maths grade, I need at least B3!

AgathaK wrote: »
    Oh Gosh, I thought I'm on my own. :P

I have serious timing issues too! Apparently I'm "gifted" (:rolleyes:) at English, and I can't get the damn thing finished! Very upsetting!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

I have serious timing issues too! Apparently I'm "gifted" (:rolleyes:) at English, and I can't get the damn thing finished! Very upsetting!! :(
    Timing is a big bitch in English. Practise doing different parts of the course under time restraints. I used to not be able to do it in time without sacrificing a grade, but practise helps an awful lot.

mpdg wrote: »
    Timing is a big bitch in English. Practise doing different parts of the course under time restraints. I used to not be able to do it in time without sacrificing a grade, but practise helps an awful lot.

I'm definitely gonna have to start doing this. :) It's one of my A1 bankers, I can't let timing affect it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Im not in any way questioning your ability in English here but is it wise to bank on an A1 in English? The marking can be so subjective that you can never really be sure. I'm hoping it will be one of my top grades too but I refuse to count it as an A1 subject just in case I get an examiner that doesnt like my style.

NotExactly wrote: »
    Haha how sad if you actually calculated that out.

lol it took about 5 seconds to calculate....:Don a calculator obv

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Im not in any way questioning your ability in English here but is it wise to bank on an A1 in English? The marking can be so subjective that you can never really be sure. I'm hoping it will be one of my top grades too but I refuse to count it as an A1 subject just in case I get an examiner that doesnt like my style.
    Ay, there's the rub.
    It's hard to trust your teacher's corrections being a reflection of how you'll do in the real Leaving too. Some teachers are very easy markers in some respects, ie if you know the quotes they'll reward you, regardless of Purpose, which is more important. Some teachers mark you according to what they want you to get. Like, if a teacher marks a good student down just to get them to work harder.
    English for the LC is fecked anyway. I'm banking on it for an A1 too, as I want to do it in college, but to be honest, it doesn't reflect much about your ability.

Bbbbolger wrote: »

I get what you mean, it is very subjective, but trust me, I wouldn't bank on it if I thought I was getting ahead of myself in any way. I've had about 5 different teachers since I entered seconday school, and I've never been awarded anything less than 90%. All through 5th and 6th year, my lowest has been 92%. Everyone questions why I wouldn't pursue a career in it.

I have other subjects that I want top grades in too though, I need 520-ish points, so I'm aiming high all around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

I get what you mean, it is very subjective, but trust me, I wouldn't bank on it if I thought I was getting ahead of myself in any way. I've had about 5 different teachers since I entered seconday school, and I've never been awarded anything less than 90%. All through 5th and 6th year, my lowest has been 92%. Everyone questions why I wouldn't pursue a career in it.

I have other subjects that I want top grades in too though, I need 520-ish points, so I'm aiming high all around.

I think the likes of Anglo etc. have shown that banking on anything, including subjects, can lead to disaster :pac: No harm aiming high, but have a plan for your doomsday scenario!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Im in a similar situation. Aiming high all round. Did my worst case scenario out and scared myself :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I got 600 points in the mocks back in the day:pac:

They came with a health warning though, teachers had told us a lot of what would be on the papers.

In my experience, from seeing my own and other's results, the worst predictors of actual LC grades are results in Maths and English. That said, they should all be taken with a pinch of salt. The way they are corrected varies wildly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If your teacher is an experienced corrector and you're consistently getting 90%+, I'd be fairly confident. If they haven't corrected, then it's not really a mark I'd bank on.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    If your teacher is an experienced corrector and you're consistently getting 90%+, I'd be fairly confident. If they haven't corrected, then it's not really a mark I'd bank on.

She is a very experienced corrector, she's been correcting LC papers for 10 years I think. I'm fairly sure there's no harm in expecting an A1 in it.:) It's not like it's the only subject I want an A in either.:rolleyes:

It's not like it's the only subject I want an A in either.:rolleyes:

I want an A in every subject. I'm pretty sure every one does. :rolleyes:

NotExactly wrote: »
    I want an A in every subject. I'm pretty sure every one does. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:good point!

I'm being realistic though at the same time, I want B's in French, Home-Ec and Biology :p
    Not counting maths - I'm doing pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AgathaK

Got my first result, economics, 86%. Not bad, but I've been expecting A1. :P That will surely pick me up in the points, as I pretty much ruined all the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lu1993

I knew a girl that did... 600 in mocks and 600 in real thing. She was repeating though? Got 590 the year before and STILL didnt get medicine. Got it the next year tho :D

Advertisement