Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

economics and scoiety exam

Options
  • 15-02-2011 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

what is the stuff i should be lookin at(mid term exam)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Go to your lectures Mr. Troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

well obvious lecture material will be up on it but specifically

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

You'll probably have to spell society

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭corkman123

Is it mcq based questions???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

partyndbs wrote: »
    well obvious lecture material will be up on it but specifically

Specifically go to your lectures and you would know whats most likely to come up.

They rarely teach you something that's not examinable so the answer is... everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

I took this module last year, and it is very much doable, but you must attend the lectures as Colm rarely makes the slides available on BlackBoard, and whatever slides are available - are condensed versions.

The exam consists of 6 questions, all of which must be done.
    What tends to come up?
    • Comparative advantage table - you just pick random numbers which illustrate CA as required by the question.
    • Trends in population and population distribution over time
    • Tax types (progressive, regressive, neutral) - you may or may not be asked to comment on WHY the answer is such.
    • Socioeconomic theories and concepts (the reason why you must attend...)

As you can see, most of the exam is essay/short-note -style questions. The odd time you will get an MCQ part to it, and again, you may or may not be asked to comment on why you chose that particular answer.

Attendance will generally peak on the first and last lectures of a block, and I highly recommend that you attend them, as you are very likely to get tips for the exam. The issue might be that this last lecture is probably is 9am on a Friday, as was the case when I took the module :P

Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This exam use to have a serious fail rate a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Economics and Society. That takes me back. I did the module years ago so probably wont be any help. We had Moore McDowell / Cormac O Grada and Colm McCarthy running it jointly. Are they still doing it? I think the year we did it it had a 70% fail rate.

I'll never forget Moore McDowell's wise words:

"I have been teaching in this University for over 30 years and I have never ever seen a group of students as bad as this". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

Economics and Society. That takes me back. I did the module years ago so probably wont be any help. We had Moore McDowell / Cormac O Grada and Colm McCarthy running it jointly. Are they still doing it? I think the year we did it it had a 70% fail rate.

I'll never forget Moore McDowell's wise words:

"I have been teaching in this University for over 30 years and I have never ever seen a group of students as bad as this". :)

Ha, i was there for that.

How boring was that module! Though witha small bitta study it was fairly easy to pass... i was one of the few who passed, got like 53% and it was considered high....what a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

Yeah, both Cormac O'Gráda and Colm McCarthy are still doing the course.
    The reason that the failure rate is so high for this module, is that the attendance is usually around the 40% mark - i.e. more than half of the people registered for the module never attend it, with the exception of the start and end lectures.

Yes the module may have been slightly boring at parts, but purely based on attendance, it is possible not only to pass, but do reasonably well in the module.
    To be honest, I didn't read any of the assigned readings, nor studied for this module coming up to the final exam (which was 100% for us since the midterm was cancelled due to the Swine Flu scare), and still got a B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

Hoku wrote: »
    To be honest, I didn't read any of the assigned readings, nor studied for this module coming up to the final exam (which was 100% for us since the midterm was cancelled due to the Swine Flu scare), and still got a B.

sucha lej

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

*Sticks old man hat on*

"Well it was much harder in my day" :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Hoku wrote: »
    I took this module last year, and it is very much doable, but you must attend the lectures as Colm rarely makes the slides available on BlackBoard, and whatever slides are available - are condensed versions.

The exam consists of 6 questions, all of which must be done.
    What tends to come up?
    • Comparative advantage table - you just pick random numbers which illustrate CA as required by the question.
    • Trends in population and population distribution over time
    • Tax types (progressive, regressive, neutral) - you may or may not be asked to comment on WHY the answer is such.
    • Socioeconomic theories and concepts (the reason why you must attend...)

As you can see, most of the exam is essay/short-note -style questions. The odd time you will get an MCQ part to it, and again, you may or may not be asked to comment on why you chose that particular answer.

Attendance will generally peak on the first and last lectures of a block, and I highly recommend that you attend them, as you are very likely to get tips for the exam. The issue might be that this last lecture is probably is 9am on a Friday, as was the case when I took the module :P

Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat!

That's the final exam though, right??!

I haven't been to most of the lectures this term, to be honest, but the slides on Blackboard seem to cover quite a bit so hopefully the exam tomorrow won't be too bad....

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NU8

That's the final exam though, right??!

I haven't been to most of the lectures this term, to be honest, but the slides on Blackboard seem to cover quite a bit so hopefully the exam tomorrow won't be too bad....

Just make sure you are looking at the slides "DM - Topic 1" etc.
    All the others are ones from previous semesters that were never taken down.
    There are also two pdfs of readings that we given for the course this semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

So how'd you find it guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

alright kinda waffled/cheated

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

partyndbs wrote: »
    alright kinda waffled/cheated
    Cheated? How? There were four invigilators (including the lecturer).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

I'd be hoping for about 15% of the 30 on offer. Not too bad.

Advertisement