Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know how to apply for job as invigilator

• 15-02-2011 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Does anyone know when, where and how to apply for a job as invigilator for exams?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭AD61

Recruitment for the position of Superintendent at the 2011 Certificate Examinations has now ended. The closing date for receipt of completed applications was the 17th December 2010.

It is anticipated that recruitment for the 2012 Certificate Examinations will commence again in October/November 2011.
    Source: http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=re&sc=su

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Does anyone know when, where and how to apply for a job as invigilator for exams?

Do you mean the student that sits outside the exam centre and brings tea and biscuits to the supervisor?

They are usually appointed internally by the school. In the school I work in a notice is put up on the main notice board in April or May and students can apply to the principal for a position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I don't think they're called invigilators? ... certainly that's not what they do!

Attendants, maybe?

RBT is right, ask your Principal / Deputy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

In my school, you'd get the job by hanging around the staff room with tea for jaded teachers, being a prefect and being bosom buddies with the principal. Good luck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's usually the Examinations Secretary in a school who gives out those jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Gallimh girl

AD61 wrote: »

this is what I was looking for thanks for posting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 studentrm

i was an 'attendant' at the exams last year... when i finished 5th year... we helped the exam superintendents like getting tea and biscuits or supervising toilet breaks...

Talk to the teacher in charge of the exams, exam superintendent or whatever they're who decides who does it.

id recommend trying to do separate centers, which is the people who need like a reader or something, you do the whole 3 weeks so get paid more, and you get your cheque from the school who claim it so they can put you in for the over 18 rate!! i got 580 euro!! whereas the guys in the main centres most only got half of it cos they were only in some days... just a tip!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

There usually isn't attendants for the seperate centres from my experience.If a candidate needs to go to the bathroom an attendant from the main centre goes with them.

However if a person is appointed as a reader or supervisor for a specific candidate they are only working for the exams that the candidate is taking but get paid per day. Where as attendants get paid per hour so if if I'm correct being appointed to the main centre with the candidates taking a variety of different exams will result in more hours and more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 studentrm

There usually isn't attendants for the seperate centres from my experience.If a candidate needs to go to the bathroom an attendant from the main centre goes with them.

However if a person is appointed as a reader or supervisor for a specific candidate they are only working for the exams that the candidate is taking but get paid per day. Where as attendants get paid per hour so if if I'm correct being appointed to the main centre with the candidates taking a variety of different exams will result in more hours and more money.

I can't say for your school, but at mine we had 8 attendants specifically for separate centres, we had to get extra paper from main centre, supervise toilets and get tea to the readers/scribes... We were also paid per hour. Also, an attendant from main centre couldn't be anything to do with separate centres as they are completely different locations!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depends on the number of centres and the layout of the school.

• Advertisement
Advertisement