Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC desire owners what phone will you upgade to? (poll)

• 15-02-2011 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭

I'm really disappointed with the new "upgraded" HTC phones, I'm just wondering what phones people will upgrade to ? And it looks like old desire owners won't get 2.3 Gingerbread update until 2 months after the HTC desire S comes out in Spring :( I thought my next phone was going to be a HTC but now I'm having second thoughts.

So far these are the phones that most people will consider (not in any order)

1) HTC Desire S
    2) LG Optimus 2X
    3) LG Optimus Black
    4) Motorola Atrix
    5) Samsung Galaxy S II

What phone will you update to this year ? 41 votes

HTC Desire S
    0% 0 votes
    LG Optimus 2X
    26% 11 votes
    LG Optimus Black
    7% 3 votes
    Motorola Atrix
    2% 1 vote
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    19% 8 votes
    Other phone (please let us know what it is :)
    43% 18 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Tbh I am still very happy with my Desire. Probably will not upgrade for another few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

Where have HTC mentioned that the Desire is getting Gingerbread 2.3 in the Spring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm going to wait for a decent dual core phone and at the moment the one catching my eye is the Galaxy S 2.
    I'll probably wait until the end of the year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Fair happy with the dhd at the moment. I'll have a proper look around before i upgrade. Won't be the desire s anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Will be holding onto the Desire HD for at least a year before even thinking about upgrading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Have my desire since May, will probably just hang on to it for another while.

Don't see anything from HTC worth the upgrade and I like Sense too much to jump to another manufacturer.

I think my next tech 'investment' will be a Kinlde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Don't have a Desire myself, have an Xperia X10 and was looking forward to today's announcements. However, like most, I have been severely disappointed.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 seems like the one I will upgrade to but that will depend on its build quality. Didn't like the Galaxy S [both my brothers had it and it felt a bit cheap].

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

ongarite wrote: »
    Where have HTC mentioned that the Desire is getting Gingerbread 2.3 in the Spring?

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/htc-desire-owners-face-long-wait-for-android-23-gingerbread-update-50002752/

2 months after the HTC Desire S is released so that means some time in summer hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

have a desire since april or may myself and recently was offered upgrade to dhd. no interest though, phone does what i need it to and the build quality (and perhaps more care on my part) means that its in perfect nick.

I might upgrade to the desire S when it drops in price down the line but more than likely will hold out for something dual core or head the tablet route instead. its actually funny as in years gone by id be begging for my yearly upgrade early so i could get the newest available phone

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Sadly there's still nothing that's really impressive enough to warrant an upgrade. Most people were hoping HTC would try to compete with LG and Motorola and create some high end dual core phones but without any major alterations to Gingerbread or the way it functions. Obviously that didn't happen so all that's left is the SGS II. As impressive as it it's hardware is, there's no point in getting it when you're still going to be stuck with Kies and all the software issues that go along with it.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Voted for 'Other Phone' but in fact think I will be sticking with current Desire as very happy.
    Might go down the tablet root instead of upgrading as I am contract free so I can pick and choose my upgrade when i spot something nice. Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 looks nice but will be waiting for a price drop before I fork up for anything

Maybe you could add a choice of 'will not purchase' or something like that to the poll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Galaxy S ll by the looks of it, have to wait and see what the real world reviews are like first....have my desire about 8-9 months, getting that upgrade itch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Larsist

Voted for 'other' because I haven't seen anything I want to upgrade to yet. Still very happy with my Desire. NFC will be cool when there are more uses for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Wouldn't buy a dual core phone unless it was launching with 2.4 which will be the first iteration of Android for phones to support using dual cores properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Honestly don't know :p

Still very happy with the original Desire and as of yet just see no reason to spend money for an upgrade I just don't need atm.

Have to say I'm disappointed with the new HTC phones tho as this lack in foresight or hardware development could end up biting HTC in the ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It really says a lot for a handset that i've recently heard described as old that a lot us desire owners are still completely content with the handset almost a year after it was launched. I too have no interest in upgrading any time soon, this phone is still the sh!t - and since i went 2.3 the battery has been much better :D

the galaxy 2 is the only handset announced that even peaks an interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

I don't think that ill be upgrading to a new phone any time soon. I'm quite happy with the desire at the moment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm going to wait for a decent dual core phone
    Just out of interest, why all the excitement about dual core phones? I have the Desire and I find it lightning quick, I cannot really see any reason why I'd need a particularly faster phone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I have a Desire and so these "S" phones give me no reason to upgrade. I think i'll get the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 instead and then see if HTC get their act together and bring out something good at the end of this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Chose other. The main one i would consider would be the SGS2. But i find it so damn ugly that its just a no no :) Dont see the point of Atrix in there at all cause it probably wont be coming here. And LG isnt my cup of tea at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

Can't really see myself upgrading my Desire for at least another year, and the choice of prospective upgrade options will, I expect, be very different again by then from those listed above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

calum wrote: »
    Can't really see myself upgrading my Desire for at least another year, and the choice of prospective upgrade options will, I expect, be very different again by then from those listed above.

The same for me, the new devices from HTC are pretty underwhelming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

My desire is a great phone. The screen is lovely (I'm not a fan of the overtly vibrant, IMHO) SGS S-AMOLED screen, it's very fast and I can live with the design. The Atrix has not had great reviews, the web top seems like a great concept, just poorly executed (surprise!)and horribly overpriced. $700 in the states + 100/month contract - for two years!

Dual-core is a waste (until 2.4, at least) and gimmicks like 3D holds no interest. What I would like to see is a manufacturer making battery life longer than 8-10 hours. That's my only gripe with the Desire, I don't think the S fixes that.

Actualy alot of reviews of the Atrix dock was that it was slow and choppy at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I have mine since April, nothing there to tempt me yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

JustinOval wrote: »
    I have mine since April, nothing there to tempt me yet.

Likewise,

I don't like the plasticy feel of the SGS so that rules them out, and I do like the aluminium unibody feel of the HTC's so that is a nice feature (for me) of the new S. However, I think I can afford to skip a generation (or 2 at this rate) as the normal Desire is fit for purpose at present.

I do like the look of the HTC Tablet though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

The poll needs an option for "I'm not planning on upgrading so far".

I've a Desire HD after switching from a Galaxy S at the end of last year. The Galaxy S annoyed me so Samsung isn't a major contender for me.
    The Desire HD has loads of memory, is fast and is reliable so they're the most important criteria for me.
    There's nothing currently around that is too tempting. Dual core might be nice but why bother at the moment. It's not like I'm ever waiting on the apps on the current phone. Maybe when the new apps or version of Android support it, it'll be more compelling.

The new batch of HTCs don't give a HD user a reason to move.

So at the moment I've no plans to move to a different phone. I'd be pretty sure that around Oct or November there'll be some great new models so maybe do the poll around then again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i love my desire, but as everyone has said there's nothing new on offer from HTC this year.

The only device i've had any interest in are the new Xperia Pro or perhaps the arc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

bd250110 wrote: »
    Dual-core is a waste (until 2.4, at least) and gimmicks like 3D holds no interest. What I would like to see is a manufacturer making battery life longer than 8-10 hours. That's my only gripe with the Desire, I don't think the S fixes that.

Think i read that the dual cores should use less battery which is my main reason for holding out til htc release one.
    as i said current desire is perfect for my needs other than the camera which i never use for anything important anyway. voted for other phone but an option to keep existing should really be on the poll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Daith

Desire with a great camera would be my ideal phone. Other than that no plans to upgrade for at least a year. My Desire is only brilliant! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm happy with my Desire too just wanted to see if I was missing something better out there. I think HTC are playing it safe with the phone by not changing too much over the original desire. The screen resolution staying the same was the biggest disappointment for me.

Not changing the poll btw, if you're not planning an upgrade just click on other phone or don't vote :P (my mistake I should have added it at the start)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I just got my HTC Desire on Saturday on bill with Meteor for 12 months, so to answer your question, the phone I will upgrade to hasnt been released yet! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

Still loving my Desire.

I'd like a better camera on a future upgrade,but that's
    no reason to switch for anything else currently available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I'd consider maybe moving to an Incredible S or maybe a Desire S from my current desire.
    I love my current desire and have no reason to change other then work will pay for the upgrade.

As an aside what is the difference between the DHD and the Incredible S? they seem to be pretty much the same specs wise, does the incredible have an aluminium shell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I thought the incredible was just another name for the dhd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'm happy enough for now. Will probably wait until 2012 to upgrade at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Yeah really like my phone, not in any great rush to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭DRice

can someone actually clarify , is the incredible s an upgrade of the DHD or is it a smaller version? a halfway house version of the s and the DHD?

I dont think were gonna see the incredible. It was a phone for the american market. Im sure were only gonna see the desire and wildfire s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I dont think were gonna see the incredible. It was a phone for the american market. Im sure were only gonna see the desire and wildfire s

Incredible S only in the CPW http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/news/coming-soon/htc-incredible-s
    But will we see it in Ireland?? Not so sure as the .ie version of the CPW site is a long shot off the UK version I am not sure they even get the same stock

• Advertisement

Well if its exclusive i would expect it to come.

Sadly actual CPW shops dont control what stock to bring in. Its all automated and only certain stuff that is on the list if requested by a customer. At the end they might decide either to make some phone on the stands redudant and put the increadible s on or not bring it in at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Keeping my Desire HD for at least another year. I only upgraded to this after a year because I wanted a bigger screen so am content.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 xRodge

I'm in the (sizeable, it seems) camp of loving my Desire and not even thinking of changing yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I love mine too but sometimes kinda wish it had a bigger screen. Not too sure how much I'd like the extra bulk to carry around and in my pocket etc though, still the new desire looks lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I'm still very happy with my Desire HD and hope we have a very long and satisfying relationship...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭joanofarc

how do you know when your due an upgrade and what is it based on...time you have the phone or cost etc? love my desire but would upgrade if the camera was better and the volume could be impoved (not loud enough )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

It's stipulated in the contract but usually after 75% to 100% of the contract has elapsed.
    I know I'm on an 18 month, and I get an upgrade at 14 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭joanofarc

thank you navore;)

Yeah I think it depends on your spend etc. If you are spending over €100 a month they love you apparently, and would rather give you a new phone and lock you in for another year than potentially lose you to another network.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭love that turbo

Just cannt see anything I fancy, I'll stick with my rooted desire with gingerbread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement