Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food for babies

Options
  • 15-02-2011 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading an piece in the Sunday papers that said some babies in the uk were given things like minced Chinese take away for their dinner and that toddlers were given crisps and coke and that parents didn't seem to realize that the amount of salt in foods like that could damage a babies kidney.
    The problem was that the parents didn't know how to cook!!!
    how could people not cook for their children and how could they not realize that they were harming their children by giving them take aways.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Because some people had parents who thought/did the same thing and it didn't do them any harm...and grandparents who thought/did the same things and may well have been surrounded by people completely ignorant about food and nutrition.

I'd hazard a rough guess that not many of those who give babies minced chinese read the sunday papers....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Ive seen many babys ( 6 months +) given snacks (taytoes) to suck on. Its not just the English.

Prehaps the toddlers who were having coke were diabetic and needed a sugar rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Ive seen many babys ( 6 months +) given snacks (taytoes) to suck on. Its not just the English.

Prehaps the toddlers who were having coke were diabetic and needed a sugar rush.
    I can't see anything wrong with giving a baby(at the right age of course) the occasional treat like a soft crisp if supervised.
    A little bit in moderation is they key IMO.
    I'm not advocating plying a child with rubbish food.
    A little bit of common sense i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No sense in forbidding junk food altogether - for the right age obviously - and building up the mystigue. Our toddler gets biscuits or crisps as a treat sometimes even if the majority of his snacks are healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I might give my little one a couple of noodles or something from the chinese if I had one but to mash it up for their dinner....ffs!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

To be frank I think that that part of the article is a bit sensationalist, making out like it's common practice, I very much doubt it is.

There are more obese children because there are more obese people in general, children usually follow in their parents pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Does anyone else recall the story of the parents in uk who fed their 3mnth old Reddy Brek instead of baby food and it died?
    Too much salt I seem to remember..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

BengaLover wrote: »
    Does anyone else recall the story of the parents in uk who fed their 3mnth old Reddy Brek instead of baby food and it died?
    Too much salt I seem to remember..

Oh god! I don't remember that! If the baby died from too much salt in reddy brek that would also mean that the baby was getting next to nothing to drink either :eek:

Here's the article!
    http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-60353862.html

Ignorance really, poor baby.

Em, there is no added salt in Ready Brek. It is more likely it was the other elements of the diet that caused the problem. Ready Brek is grand after 6 months (not recommended before due to gluten)

• Advertisement

The coroners report said otherwise... Maybe Reddy Brek reduced the sodium content after the death. And the baby was a lot younger than 6mths.

BengaLover wrote: »
    The coroners report said otherwise... Maybe Reddy Brek reduced the sodium content after the death. And the baby was a lot younger than 6mths.

Did you read the cororner's report?

Ready Brek is and always has been 100% milled oats.

I see mention of gravy in the partial article linked there.

It seems weetabix took action against the report: http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/home/ready-brek-acts-to-clear-death-salt-charges/2052321.article

Can't find the outcome.

This was all in 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

I remember that story. Wasn't it Smash and gravy made from gravy granules that pushed up the salt to lethal levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Isn't three months a bit young to feeding a baby solids although I remember when I was a child seeing young babies with the top of the teats cut off the bottles and the bottles filled with milk and rusks. They were generally sumo babies.

There was a traveller lady in the childrens ward of the hosp a few weeks ago came in with a baby about 3/4mths, opened a carton of instant custard, poured it into a bottle, added some water and handed it to the baby..
    Her 2 yr old got same also..:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

sudzs wrote: »
    I remember that story. Wasn't it Smash and gravy made from gravy granules that pushed up the salt to lethal levels?

I remember that story too it was when I was expecting my first, born Nov' 99. You're right it was smash and gravy plus other adult food, I remember they said that they couldn't afford baby food. Its just so sad that people are so ignorant about nutrition and cooking, a spud and a carrot cost a lot less than a packet of smash.

Advertisement