Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Valencia v Schalke 04, 15th Feb Match Thread.

• 15-02-2011 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

I didn't see a match thread for this, so thought I would put one here for anyone who may be interested in watching this ahead of the AC Milan vs Spurs match!

I will be at this one tonight (I know its strange, seeing as I'm a Spurs fan! I live in Valencia), I'm quite looking forward to it! This marks the return of Raul to Spain, and he is not very liked in these parts so I expect a very hostile reception for him.

Possible Valencia starting line-up:

Guaita
    Mathieu--Costa--Stankevicius--Miguel/Bruno
    Alba/Pablo--Tino Costa--Ever Banega--Joaquin
    Mata
    Aduriz/Soldado

Emery likes to play one up front, and its always tough to know who it will be each week!! If Mata is still injured, then he will go for both Aduriz and Soldado. I'm still not sure what Miguel's trouble with the police in Portugal is, and whether or not he is able to play. Pablo has been injured, so I'm assuming Alba will start on the left. Joaquin and Tino Costa have both been in fine form, and are definite to start! Emery has also said that Cesar Sanchez is available, although I think this game is too important, and Guaita has been in good form the last few games.

Valencia have only won once in the last 12 games against German opposition, that coming against Schalke in 07/08. They have also been held to 7 draws by German teams in the Champions League, so if anybody is betting on this game I would be careful. One thing regarding betting on this, though, is that Valencia are currently on a fine run of form in the league, and are now sitting in 3rd place above Villareal who have hit a partial slump - my money would be on Valencia for this one, being at home, as Schalke have failed to score in 8 of their last 14 away games in Europe.

Mods, sorry I couldn't jazz it up with crests etc!! If any Schalke fans have any input on their team for tonight, I'd like to read it!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Potential to be a cracker, really hoping Valencia go ahead and consolidate their place in the quarters, be very interesting to see how Raul back in the Mestalla!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Should be an interesting game, will be flicking over from the Spurs game at times. Reckon Valencia will win a close one, 1-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I don't think some realise how big these clubs actually are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

1-0 at half time to Valencia, Soldado with the goal.

I was thinking of posting about Soldado here before the match. I have seen him play in Madrid and he always looked good at the top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Raul just made it 1:1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Great result for Schalke that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Jamie Redknapp just gasped in surprise at seeing Raul in a Schalke jersey. Those guys are so unbelievably clueless at times, it makes my blood boil. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

DubDani wrote: »
    Raul just made it 1:1.

I bet the home fans loved that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I have to say, I've never been in a stadium that was put into silence upon a goal being scored...until Raul popped up with that one!!

From my point of view, Valencia deserved to win the 1st half, they started rough but found their feet after about 10 or so minutes. Played some good football, and both full-backs (Mathieu and Miguel) looked great.

Schalke dominated the 2nd half, and thoroughly deserve a point from that game. Wasn't sure what happened with the red card at the end, though, if anybody can bring light on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Cianan2 wrote: »
    Schalke dominated the 2nd half, and thoroughly deserve a point from that game. Wasn't sure what happened with the red card at the end, though, if anybody can bring light on that?

The ref deemed he kicked the ball away but it didn't look like that to me, he passed it back for the freekick but it ran right past the Valencia player and he was shown a second yellow. Ref forgot that he booked him earlier in the game though :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    The ref deemed he kicked the ball away but it didn't look like that to me, he passed it back for the freekick but it ran right past the Valencia player and he was shown a second yellow. Ref forgot that he booked him earlier in the game though :D.
    Ya funny to see the assistant ref run onto the pitch to talk to the Ref to let him know Schalke will be much the happier team after that result.

Advertisement