Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunk In Work?????

Options
  • 15-02-2011 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

Was considering getting drunk in work one day for the hell of it
    (but of course am chicken)

Anyone ever do it and what resulted?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Depends what you mean drunk.. as in buckled, no I havent

However a few times in my old job id have 3 or 4 beers at lunch so might come back quite tipsy. So much so that id have to have a nap imn the afternoon...

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

You're not a heart surgeon or such by any chance? That would be very bad. Went back to work(bookbinding)once on acid. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

k4kate wrote: »

Do it and its immediate dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I remember we had a no uniform day in school when I was 16 and my and my mate had 3 pints for lunch, rest of the day was a pleasant blur :)

Never worked drunk though, hungover to bits of course, but drunk, no

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

What's your job?

and why would you bother?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭k4kate

D1976 wrote: »
    What's your job?

and why would you bother?

I am a pilot.

For fun:)

no intention of actually doing it wanted to see if anyone had

OOps are you my boss????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Don't. It simply brings the worst of both worlds.

Ye don't feel like lifting a finger. Yet ye can't just relax and enjoy being smashed. Mutual cancellation.

Been there. Done that. Same with a good smoke :(

Well, like I say I wouldn't really.

Too scared I would be caught.

Just wondered did anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭The Sewer Rat

I did once have an Irish Coffee or two on St. Patrick's Day (bummer having to work on Paddys day)

• Advertisement

Bummer having to work Padd's day, yeah

Also xmas day that happened me 3 yrs in a row

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07yVt7yHF7A

Here's a video of an interview following a fatal accident on a building site. The report is dealing with drunkenness in the workplace.

Don't do it!!! :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Was chatting to our posty today and he was telling me about one of his colleague who smashed the van while pi55ed, they paid for him to go to a drying out clinic, 3 weeks back in the job he was caught drinking again, he was sent off to the clinic again, he has again been caught on the booze while working and has now been suspended on full pay. :rolleyes:

Glug! Glug!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Worked airport security in Shannon drunk, lots of times. Used to start at half 5 every morning, so many nights i just left clubs/pubs and went straight to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

Melion wrote: »
    Worked airport security in Shannon drunk, lots of times. Used to start at half 5 every morning, so many nights i just left clubs/pubs and went straight to work.

the boys in the joy know where there getting there next shipment through!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Also depending on your job The old saying "you would need to be drunk" to work here is very much appropiate in these times..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Used to work in a Dutch company in Ireland.
    German and Dutch companies often have beer in work and so did we, fridge stocked full
    You have a bottle or several on Friday evening or if you're working late.
    Loved that job :D

As for going to work drunk, was a night porter for years, starting work at 11pm.
    Out to pub in shirt and slacks and head into work from the pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Back in my younger, wilder days i had a day where i did coke in work. I was a shop assistant and I wont lie, it was fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Melion wrote: »

sure there is enough security down there anyways
    happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

when i lived in london, yeah nearly every morning going in pissed and then top your self up at lunch time. everyone taught i was just the mad irish lad and it worked well.
    (i have to work in the morning should i stop drinking):rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

everyone taught i was just the mad irish lad and it worked well.

Funny you should say that.
    When I worked in Belfast and in the UK, liquid lunches were common, people went to the pub at lunchtimes and thought nothing of having a few pints.

For all the drunken Irish stereotype, that just doesn't happen here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Funny you should say that.
    When I worked in Belfast and in the UK, liquid lunches were common, people went to the pub at lunchtimes and thought nothing of having a few pints.

For all the drunken Irish stereotype, that just doesn't happen here

I'll have to call you on that one. I have personally worked shifts in a hotel/niteclub in Ireland , work 10am-3pm then down the road for pints, lunch and few games of pool then back to work at 7pm-2:30am.
    Always had to top up while cleaning the lounge as the hangover kicked in before moving to the nightclub bar to serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dutch1

When I used to work as a barman did it all the time scoops on yer break & then when you finish serving, it used to be great crack , loved it.
    Different story now working at a serious job wouldnt dream of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

RedXIV wrote: »
    I remember we had a no uniform day in school when I was 16 and my and my mate had 3 pints for lunch, rest of the day was a pleasant blur :)

Never worked drunk though, hungover to bits of course, but drunk, no
    did you by any chance go to cbc monkstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

came into work vary late and pi$$ed from over-doing it the night before, only in the job a couple of months - worst day ever...

It's a guy thing mostly isn't it?

Am on nights this week :(
    A sip or two of vodka would help pass the time.

Or boarding!!!:D

Thanks for all replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Happens quite regularly in London still amongst office workers. Far less relaxed attitude to it here. I recall a few years back there being a big fuss when a guy had a pint for lunch in town and was fired as a result for drinking on the job. There are places where on Fridays it's encouraged to have a few beers from 3pm onwards but generally Ireland is quite strict in relation to drinking on the job.

I was managing a team before where a couple of blokes were having a few bottles before getting stuck into a Friday evening after hours job and I was admittedly very unimpressed. Gave them some grief over it. Was physical work and they were slightly giddy and absolutely useless in terms of doing the work for the next few hours so others had to carry the slack. Didn't feel it would have been appropriate to look into official disciplinary action but drinking on the job will impair your performance and after a couple of pints you will smell of booze. Always run the risk of a fussy superior or a HR rep taking you down over it. If everyone is doing it and management is involved, you'll be fine. Do it on your own, you're playing with fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Every so often in my current job our team would go out for a proper meal at lunchtime on a Friday (say the Friday before Xmas or something) and have a glass of wine or two with lunch. And on expenses too :D Not pissed by any stretch but it's tough to get any work done when you're so sleepy.

Back in college I worked in a call centre (who didn't?) which had two great shifts on Saturdays - 2 till 8 or 4 till 10. So you'd roll out of bed late and slowly make your way into work. The supervisor would leave around 5pm and at my dinner break I'd wander across into the off licence and get six cans or a shoulder of vodka. By the time work finished I'd be well oiled (and flapping my gums a mile a minute) and then I'd head into town to go pubbing or clubbing.

Good times.

In the same job about 8 of us were in the student bar on a holy thursday and managed to get takeaway booze before the pub closed at midnight. Lacking somewhere to go to drink our cans we went down to my workplace and commandeered one of the workspaces to drink our beers. In hindsight it would have made sense to sit in the kitchen :rolleyes:
    Luckily the night shift guys were cool and strung out themselves half the time (one of them will confirm it if he sees this post :D) so it wasn't a problem.

Utterly stupid thing to do in hindsight cos there were cameras everywhere in that building and I used my access card to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Yep done it, and I was driving a forklift at the time, nearly shít myself and never done it again, to dodgy

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I am a pilot.

*Cancels Summer holiday flight and books ferry instead*:)

Advertisement