Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunk In Work?????

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I got fired from a nice job in a toyshop for being drunk. It wasn't a good morning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

hatz7 wrote: »
    Used to work in a bar doing split shifts and regularly had a good few pints during the break, no one ever noticed, nd some days I would of been pretty hammered.

same here, every day was a dinner after the morning shift and then wander up to the other bar just out of sight of my own and sit down for minimum of 3 and usually 5, back after the split for a few more, get home, nap (90 minutes) and a cold shower, clean clothes and back again for more of the same. Minimum 4 days a week some weeks 6 days.

I miss being young :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Used to have a few (and maybe a few more) tipples during extended lunch breaks in 1 of my old jobs. Chewing gum and being able to handle alcohol are my 2 top tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

When doing bar work I used to always go in drunk and come home even worse, it was great until you realise the next morning that you've blown all your wages (Happened the morning after every shift)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Few years back myself and a few lads i worked with went for a to the pub for lunch,of course pints were called,must have had 4 by the time we got back to work.Driving a teleporter,even when sober is not for the faint hearted. Picking up over a ton in weight,extending it up and out over 40 feet while trying to land it perfectly on a scaffolding full of lads is not a good idea. Never again worst 3 hours of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Happened to me once. Had booked a half day as I was meeting a friend who was over from Oz, and I left work at 1 and headed straight to Dicey's beer garden. Got a call just before 5 asking me to come back in for an hour or so as they were having trouble with something that I had been working on.

Thought it hilarious at the time. Went back in, and, in fairness, I did do what needed to be done. But I chatted to EVERYONE. Walking from my desk to the coffee machine (which I did a lot that evening), I would start deep chats with whoever was in my vicinity. I didn't say anything bad, but to this day, people in work whose names I don't know still stop me and ask about various parts of my life that I must had discussed with them on that evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

worked in a just opened posh bar in jersey, the manager was useless. we drank the place dry, the first month's stock take came back £2000 down. glad i wasn't around when the second month's one came back. best job i've ever had. used to be so drunk in work i'd have black outs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Depends on what you do, I've been drunk (well, tipsy) while working behind a bar but in my current role in a garage I couldn't.

Working on the bar was good fun with 3 or 4 drinks on board, it puts you on a similar level to the punters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Used to work as a roofer. One day we went down and bought a few bottles of wine at 10 o clock break. Drank them and then back up on to the roof. Two stories up with no scaffolding is not where you want to be when you're drunk! We were sent home at about 1, thank God.
    I don't know if you'd call this work but in Tenerife working behind the bar and PR'ing it was practically part of the job description.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭primavera85

my first "real" job was live-in at a hotel as a commis chef, at least 70% of the chefs and waiting staff took drugs or drank some while working, i was working 16hr shifts most days and was coked out of my head then went out on the beer when kitchen had closed for the evening, one day i went in on my day off very drunk, managed to cut my hand right open while making a panini.. kitchen porter passed out at the sight of blood pissing out of my hand while i just wrapped the hand up in a towel.... lol, we were that bad drug squad raided the staff house, i wasnt caught but 3staff were charged, i left a few weeks later as i was offered better money from a rival hotel, i was pretty burnt out by that point though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭niall1811

used to grab a bottle of cheap wine when i worked in a petrol station before heading out on a saturday night as it'd be 10:30/11 before i got out and i didnt want to be playing catch up. Great craic chatting to customers who clearly know you're drunk! Now though working in a chipper it aint such a good idea, standing over a searing hot grill is not the place to be when you cant control your hands properly, had a few close calls with going in the morning after after 1-2 hours sleep. Not good, and i have the scars to prove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I had just moved into a new Flat, which didnt have a fridge, and a friend, who spoke the lingo offered to come with me to a Second hand shop she knew to buy one, so I asked my boss if it was ok if I took an extended lunch break to go and get this fridge.

So off I go with her to this place and she introduces me to the man who ran the shop. He spoke no english and my Czech was not good enough at the time to converse with him. She knew him for years and it turns out he is a professional wine taster, who also has his own vinyard, and just runs the 2nd hand shop for his mother. To be honest it all sounded a bit dodgy, but it all turned out fine. In the shop, he has these taps on the wall, and through her he explained, I can come along with my 2 litre plastic bottle, and fill it up with one of his wines. Its very common here, and it cuts down the price. Then he asked me if I wanted to taste some. So I said sure, and had some while I found the pieces of furniture that I wanted, took longer than I had planned, so I had some more wine.

Now I am quite a big person with quite a high tolerance for alcohol so I dont quite know how what happened next, happened. All I can think of is that he kept topping up my glass when i wasnt looking, because I selected the fridge, washing machine, and some other pieces I wanted, paid for them and stepped out into the light of day and realised I was sh!t ass drunk, and it was time to go back to work. I had hoped to go to McDonalds and get some lunch but didnt have time, so went to get the bus. At the bus stop, I dont know if I was visibly swaying, but it felt like the ground was.

As another poster said, it was not at all pleasant. I was paranoid someone would notice, I couldn't relax, then I started to sober up and I felt awful, like my mind was slowly expanding(not in a good way).

Never again.

Advertisement