Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan wants to tax Broadband

• 15-02-2011 6:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

http://greenparty.newsweaver.ie/1meu70zu3u8nagng2rkjst?email=true

Thank God we won't have to pay any attention to him in a fortnight and he can go back to selling bicycles :(
    One approach to the financing of public sector broadcasting, including the possibility of other media, involves some small charge on the volume of data. This type of funding model would fund public service content and be much easier to charge and cheaper to operate than our current license fee collection system.

It would have to be around €3 a month on top to replace TV Licences

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Wait until Gerry "the Ninja" Adams here's about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

That means no-one on the NBS can be charged as they aren't able to receive tv let alone email

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

As long as the TV license is revoked or at least drastically reduced, I am actually not against this.

I guess the tax should not go to RTE but should be used to lay down public fibre/infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Dear Eamon,

Please give back your ministerial wages and pension and then get lost.

Yours,
    The disenchanted

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Doesn't really matter, I can't see the greens getting back in anyways. If they do though, it's a terrible move. Broadband is pricey enough here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Oh sure tax them 'E-mails' as well... The Greens are going the way of the PDs. Move along nothing to see here! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

What a shower of spacers.:mad: RTE shouldn't be in receipt of the licence fee in the first place. They should either have advertising or the LF - and cut their cloth to match. Amazingly, NOT ONE political party has pointed out that RTE is bloated and there should be huge staff reductions there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

every country in the world is trying to upgrade broadband, now dufous ryan want ireland to tax it, i wonder what is he inhaleing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

tax it and put the money into making it better. otherwise **** off. you can take your RTE etc and shove it up your arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

NO!

Just NO!

You take ThePirateBay away from us, then eircom over charges us and now this.

Just leave Broadband alone. Instead of taxing us all the time, give us something a bit more decent than the over rated crap that eircom is charging

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

NO!

Just NO!

You take ThePirateBay away from us, then eircom over charges us and now this.

Just leave Broadband alone. Instead of taxing us all the time, give us something a bit more decent than the over rated crap that eircom is charging

Thepiratebay is still there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Random wrote: »
    tax it and put the money into making it better. otherwise **** off. you can take your RTE etc and shove it up your arse.

agreed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

He's saying to so this instead of the TV license. Would it not be better to simply rename the TV license / definition to some sort of communications tax and use a percentage to fund proper broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

paulm17781 wrote: »
    He's saying to so this instead of the TV license. Would it not be better to simply rename the TV license / definition to some sort of communications tax and use a percentage to fund proper broadband?

Eh, he calls 3g broadband, which everyone here knows is definitely not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

LoGiE wrote: »
    Oh sure tax them 'E-mails' as well... The Greens are going the way of the PDs. Move along nothing to see here! ;)

A think a guy in An post mentioned that in 1999 or 2000 because they were loosing out because of emails ,suggesting we charge the same way we do for text but the money going to them.Obviously a hard thing to or it would have been done by now or people just laughed at him and walked off

The problem I see with this tax on broadband is that it won't end with the initial tax ,they'll push it further in every budget after that ,Tax on downloading ,uploading ,broadband package size.The more you download the more you pay.

The only thing i've seen from the greens since they came into government is a tax on everything ,sure carbon tax is taxing the air you breath ffs ,next they'll work out how many cubic litres of air you've breathed over a year and send you the bill.

Im glad they're gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

He reminds of the mad despot rocking back and forth in his chair laughing maniacally, losing his sanity as his world crumbles around him. The Greens are in the final throes of death, they will cease to matter, or possibly even exist, after the election. The Greens are a bunch idealogues with no grasp of reality, they want to ram their hair brained ****e down our throats. go the same way as the PDs and f*ck off out of our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrquiteaguy

If it was 3 euro per month by 12 months(36 euros)on top of broadband,sure i would rather pay that,than 160 euros for a tv licence.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Obaraten wrote: »
    Methane?
    possibly, if his office is small and he has to breathe in his own farts. :pac:

on a vaguely related note, i was in a datacentre today and was suddenly overcome with a combination of B.O. and dirty farty arse smells and couldn't figure out why until someone pointed out that some smelly network guy had lifted one of the raised floor tiles and was crouched down in the hole messing with cables whilst i was stood directly over a vented cold tile in front of a server. :(

i actually nearly retched a couple of times it was that bad, and it spread all over the room through the vents so there was nowhere to hide! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭chrislynch8

I wouldn;t be against this if I was able to receive a decent Broadband connection. My Line is only capable of 3Mb.

Provide Fibre to the home for everyong in the Country and I'd gladly pay a tax for broadband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I wouldn't be against it if the service was updated, upgraded and regulated

thankfully i cant avail of any decent fixed broadband service in dublin :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Its just another reason(as if you needed another one) not to vote for the Greens.

Despite all the talk about the importance of broadband internet access, we are well behind our major competitors on provision, speed and pricing, they propose something like this before we've even caught up.

Its just another stealth tax, the funds raised from it wouldn't be ringfenced for upgrading internet provision(assuming you accept the idea that everyone should be levied indefinitely, to enable broadband provision in uneconomic areas).

I suspect it would be in addition to the TV licence not a replacement for it, but if it is proposed as a replacement for the TV licence to fund public broadcasting, then it is fundamentally unfair in that a household without broadband at home(they access the internet at work), would save on the need for a TV licence, while another home that maybe doesn't have a TV has to pay for a TV service that they possibly never access.

I can't imagine the foreign multinationals would be too keen on this either as they make extensive use of broadband and probably have few TVs, so just another tax on business. I know they objected when it was being proposed a year or two ago, that you would need a TV licence for every computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

I wouldn;t be against this if I was able to receive a decent Broadband connection. My Line is only capable of 3Mb.

Provide Fibre to the home for everyong in the Country and I'd gladly pay a tax for broadband

it is physically impossible to bring fibre to every house, if fibre was advailable to towns and citys, then supply the rest with a quality wireless signal, to me this would suffice, not the crap in a stick.

Advertisement