Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does corbally area flood?

Options
  • 15-02-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Am considering moving to county Galway . Saw an ad on Daft. today that could be too good to be true .The house is infinished but @ 99000 is 15 mins from Galway on the Tuam road . Looking on Street View I see the Clare river about 5 fields away . Does this area flood ?
    Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated , It was the first question I asked the agent when I rang and he said it was fine . Wonder would he let us move in with him if he turns out to be wrong !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Some areas in Corbally have been known to flood, but it never happens close to the Tuam road. Not sure exactly where the house you are talking about is.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tanoone

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=577644

this is the link to the ad . I dont know the area

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Looks nice, i don't think there is any proplem with that location, give me a few days, i know some people from near there and i'll see what they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Wow!
    Under 100K for a house nearly 3000sq feet.
    5 years ago that house finished would have been somewhere around 350K.

The river Clare flooded Claregalway village in November 2009. But I have no idea if the Corbally area was affected, if at all.

Research. Research. Research.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Just throwing an idea ... I'm not sure whether it's a good one or not : would the commissioning of a (civil) engineer provide you with a risk analysis on this type of issue ?
    In any case, an independent engineer's report on the actual structure might be a good move before you purchase, just in case.
    Good luck with it - looks very nice ! :)
    V

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Max Extent of flood November 2009, zoom in close.

Ok. , another question .What is the nearest secondary school to Corbally ie. where the locals would go . I would assume if a lot went to one school there might be a school bus .

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

The nearest secondary schools are in:
    Athenry 15km
    Oranmore 15km
    Galway 17km
    Headford 23km
    Tuam 23km

Not sure where the locals would mainly go. I would imagine a mixture of the areas listed above.

Claregalway 6km is to get a new school. Apparently enrolment has started for 1st years for this year Sept 2011 when the school will be in an interim building.

Check out this:
    http://www.claregalwaynewschool.com/home/map-of-schools

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Western501

I'm familar with the general area, but I don't know the specific village too well, so I cannot comment on any flooding in this area. I would have thought that should be ok, as the flooding wasn't a major problem that far north of Claregalway. But you could probably verify that with some locals, or contact the OPW. Also offical report here - http://www.opw.ie/en/media/2138%20Clare%20River%20Flood%20Study%20FINAL%20Rev%204%20Vol%201.pdf

I know that while property values have dropped significantly in the last few years, especially when moving further into the countryside - At the sametime that price does seem extremely cheap. The site alone should be worth at least 60-70K. Unless off course the owners are under serious pressure to sell!! So you might be in luck with this property!!!

I would suggest you proceed with extreme caution, get a proper survey done & get a full itemized costing of how much work needs to be completed. Possibly you may need to re-do some of the existing work, especially if it's been exposed to the elements for pro-longed period of time. You'd need to contact a reputable builder for this. Based on the photo, it looks like a bank/financial institute pulled the plug very suddenly, so you can probably assume that most of the tradesmen/suppliers etc who worked on the house haven't been paid or at least not paid in full. So you'd have no comeback against any of them if some of the work is faulty. Try to talk to as many locals as possible and gather a full picture of the property and immediate village etc

As regards secondary schools, there is huge pressure for numbers on all secondary schools in the area, hence the requirement to open a school in Claregalway. This won't open until Sept 2012 (at the very earliest). See http://www.galwaynews.ie/17614-claregalway-step-closer-new-secondary-school Currently childrens go to all the schools listed by Benbecul97

Realistically that date might slip for a year or more, depending on how soon they can purchase site, get planning permission, secure temp building etc
    You're best bet would be one of the schools in Tuam, as you should be on the bus route for there. I think most of the kids from that side of Claregalway/Corrofin would go to there, as there are specific school buses running on N17

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Western501

P.s The line in the advert.....twenty minutes to Galway city.
    is extremely misleading, (unless you own a private helicopter)
    Typically it can take 20 mins to get from N17/N63 junction to Claregalway traffic lights on a typical morning, never mind going into the city.
    I'd suggest it would be more like 45-50 mins to Eyre Square in the mornings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

I know where the house is located and it is not prone to flooding. It will require several thousands of euro to complete and probably the most accessible secondary is St. Jarlath's in Tuam if it is lads you are sending. There area is fine but very rural so there is no walking to a pub or anything like that. Taxis would not be that plentiful either. You will be moving into the parish of Corofin which, in GAA terms, is like the Aughawillan of the 'eighties!!

Good news about the flooding .Thanks everyone .

Advertisement