Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simulated Mars Landing

Options
  • 15-02-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

Three crewmembers of the virtual flight to Mars have 'landed' on their destination planet and two of them today took their first steps on the simulated martian terrain.

http://www.esa.int/esaMI/Mars500/SEMRCFOT1KG_0.html

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

stoneill wrote: »
    Three crewmembers of the virtual flight to Mars have 'landed' on their destination planet and two of them today took their first steps on the simulated martian terrain.

http://www.esa.int/esaMI/Mars500/SEMRCFOT1KG_0.html
    Pity its not the real thing:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Do they have to do the 'flight' home?
    Maybe the Russians are going to make an attempt to go to the red planet soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Plug wrote: »
    Do they have to do the 'flight' home?
    Maybe the Russians are going to make an attempt to go to the red planet soon?

Ya,the Russians have said they will send a manned mission there by 2040.
    A one way ticket i would say.

Wonder is it still on the go ahead or has it been cancelled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Thanks for that link OP. I heard the Russians were sending monkeys towards Mars to study prolonged radiation effects, would this be true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's a conspiracy.. they actually did go to Mars and are trying to cover it up =p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

I like watching the universe and observing and so on. But this whole nonsense of flying off to planets and spending billions of taxpayers money under the premise of ''what if so and so happened where would we Live? there must be life on mars''

Whats the point of flying to the moon or living on another planet when we ourselves can not even live here on earth? Thousands starving because the boys with their toys wanna go play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

They are back :rolleyes:
    Six volunteer astronauts emerged from a 'trip' to Mars on Friday, waving and grinning widely after spending 520 days in seclusion. Crowds handed each member of the group a red rose after their capsule opened at the facility in Moscow.
    Scientists placed the six male volunteers in isolation in 2010 to simulate a mission to Mars, part of the European Space Agency's experiment to determine challenges facing future space travelers.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/04/world/europe/russia-simulatedmars-trip/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I would have went nuts inside the thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Onesimus wrote: »
    I like watching the universe and observing and so on. But this whole nonsense of flying off to planets and spending billions of taxpayers money under the premise of ''what if so and so happened where would we Live? there must be life on mars''

Whats the point of flying to the moon or living on another planet when we ourselves can not even live here on earth? Thousands starving because the boys with their toys wanna go play.
    If you want to moan about wasting money then why don't you moan about the real and biggest wastes of money on this planet ie Military Spending, that along with corporate greed are why people starve, not because of exploration.
    If it wasn't for our innate desire to explore and understand our surroundings you wouldn't have been able to type your post above, because we would still be living on the plains of Africa trying to avoid being eaten by the local wildlife.
    We started exploring thousands of years ago and aren't gonna stop any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

^^

Well said.

Plug wrote: »
    I would have went nuts inside the thing.

Pandorum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandorum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Thanks for that, was trying to find a film to watch this afternoon, your post sorted that one out. :D
    Quite a good film, enjoyed it. Cheers.

Thanks for that, was trying to find a film to watch this afternoon, your post sorted that one out. :D
    Quite a good film, enjoyed it. Cheers.

I only thought it was 4/10 TBH good idea/concept though.

I don't see the point of this experiment

What data was gotten from it ,, that we did not already get from numerous experiences and experiments in Space travel (i.e. MIR ISS) and survival and militray situtaions over last few decades.

And even if it provided any useful data whats the point as there is no viable
    manned mission to mars for decades, plenty of time to run tests like these.

Looks like a pointless exercise to me.

Advertisement