Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 year old wont sleep!!!!

• 15-02-2011 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭

Amelia will not sleep more than 2 hours at a go at night and never more than 90mins during the day.
    At this stage it driving me up and down the wall!
    She has been teething forever since see popped out by the looks of things and it seems like she will until she will be 18 and leave the house!
    We tried bring her into our bed and it slightly prolonged the sleeping but not by much!
    She is exhausted and then becomes over tired!
    Does anyone one have any hints as to how to make a child sleep a little bit longer without resorting to dozol!
    Like we all had when we were that age!
    Anyone i talk to say that its best to let them cry it out for (duration varies) and then they will eventually sleep.
    Keep going into the room letting her know that I am close by,not to talk and put her back in a lying position if she is standing up!

any ideas would be great as I have very little hair left on the top of my head!

Tried the place hands on forehead and chest and seemed to have calmed down and slept for now finger crossed!!!
    TICK TOCK TICK TOCK!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

When she wakes after 2 hours what do you do? What does she do? Does she go back to sleep or is it playtime? Do you giver her bottles in the night| If you give her bottles, try giving her water instead of milk so that she grows out of the nightime hunger.

Would you give her a chance to fall back to sleep or would you go to her straight away?

What is your bedime routine? Does he put herself to sleep or does she go to sleep in your arms? Might be worth training her to put herself to sleep if she doesn't already do so.

Also if you think she is in pain with her teeth, do you give her any pain relief? Infant nurofen lasts longer than calpol so might be worth trying that.

Does she have a night light? If she does it might be worth trying her without it, and if she doesn't it might be worth getting one. Some babies sleep better with a little glow and some babies don't.

How warm is the room and what is she dressed in? Babies don't sleep well if they are too hot or too cold. Does she sleep in a sleeping bag?

If you think she just needs company when she wakes, you could try having a radio on low in her room.

And just to add, controlled crying definately works. Its tough the first few nights but sooo worth it in the end.

So long as you rule out all the reasons as to why your child is crying (hunger/hot/cold/pain/soiled nappy) you know that the only reason your child is crying is because they are tired and the only way they are used to falling asleep is in your arms. Its very beneficial to both you and your baby to learn how to put themselves to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭seanin4711

1 When she wakes after 2 hours what do you do? What does she do? Does she go back to sleep or is it playtime? Do you giver her bottles in the night| If you give her bottles, try giving her water instead of milk so that she grows out of the nightime hunger.

I wait for about 10-15 minutes until she definitely is crying(not whimpering) and pick her up give her juice etc and try to settle her again.she is sitting in her cot rubbing her eyes with fingers in mouth(teething).Tried or over tired generally will go back to sleep.She is on milk for the last couple of weeks,formula before that.
    I do rock her in my arms to sleep in a chair then transfer her to the cot.

2 Would you give her a chance to fall back to sleep or would you go to her straight away?

as above

3 Also if you think she is in pain with her teeth, do you give her any pain relief? Infant nurofen lasts longer than calpol so might be worth trying that.

Have been alternating between calpol and nurofen during the night when she is in obvious pain.

4 Does she have a night light? If she does it might be worth trying her without it, and if she doesn't it might be worth getting one. Some babies sleep better with a little glow and some babies don't.

only minimal light coming in from another room light on the hallway.

5 How warm is the room and what is she dressed in? Babies don't sleep well if they are too hot or too cold. Does she sleep in a sleeping bag?

room and upstairs generally at 20deg c as per thermostat.

6 If you think she just needs company when she wakes, you could try having a radio on low in her room.

Might try that one tonight!

thanks for your help and suggestions!
    s

been around a half an hour now and she is a stubborn as her mother! showing no signs of giving up!

she is teething like a loon at the moment though!

I went in picked her up (I know i know!!!) she was asleep within a minute and put her in her cot!
    now the clock starts ticking!

thanks for your advice cat lady!

Oh it can take hours the first few nights!

Go into her every 10 minutes for the first half an hour, don't speak to her, just lay her down and maybe giver her a little rub but don't stay any longer than 2 minutes. Do this for half an hour and then leave it 15 minutes between going into her, then 20 minutes and when it sounds like she might be staring to settle, stop going into her and see if she goes to sleep.

Google 'controlled crying' and you should find this method although times may very! I found it really reassuring to have it written and in front of me to refer to.

Be strong, it will work :)

• Advertisement

Oh it can take hours the first few nights!

Go into her every 10 minutes for the first half an hour, don't speak to her, just lay her down and maybe giver her a little rub but don't stay any longer than 2 minutes. Do this for half an hour and then leave it 15 minutes between going into her, then 20 minutes and when it sounds like she might be staring to settle, stop going into her and see if she goes to sleep.

Google 'controlled crying' and you should find this method although times may very! I found it really reassuring to have it written and in front of me to refer to.

Be strong, it will work :)

http://www.rte.ie/tv/familiesintrouble/webchat.html

http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/pinky_mckay.html

I know even my parents told me the same thing about self soothing and I imagine they put me
    through it as well and no doubt DOzol to boot!
    And I turned out fine!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭3DataModem

13 month old twins.

Thank Jaysus controlled crying works.

Its tough. Very tough, but you really have to stick to it.

If you confuse a kid by sometimes giving in your work is ruined.

Best advice I got was to never rock them to sleep... always let them settle themselves.

Be strong... good luck.

and for the rest of the week!
    God help me!
    going to try this method!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Good luck but the controlled crying really works. I also find if you let them cry a bit during the day too it helps. once you know they are fed and clean let them cry a bit before you soothe them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

you may also like to try Ashton and Parsons teething powders, they're in a little white box in Boots the chemist. I used these for my now 18 yr old and 14 yr old when they were babies. They settle the stomach and ease the pain and can be used with pain relief, if needed.
    Could your little one be a little lactose intolerant? if not, then do persevere with the controlled crying, but gentle reassurance. I do sympathise, its hard when no one is sleeping for long periods, but you aren't doing anything wrong, quite the opposite and with every baby its trial and error, they're all different.

• Advertisement
Advertisement