Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove Questions

• 15-02-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a few questions about installing a solid fuel stove i'm hoping someone can answer:

(1) In the case of an insert stove being installed into a standard open fireplace; do you need to use a register plate and a section of flexible flue liner between the stove and the register plate to seal the existing chimney? My installer said it's ok to simply insert the stove and let it vent straight up through the chimney with nothing else added!! He then proposes to seal the stove against the fireplace with a rope seal. Opinions???

(2) Existing open fireplace has a backboiler in place. Can a standard stove (not necessarily an insert) be connected to this backboiler to heat water/rads? A friend mentioned he did this and didn't have to buy a backboiler stove.

(3) If the answer to (2) above is no then is is easy to decommission the existing backboiler and transfer the plumbing to a new backboiler stove placed in front of the fireplace on the hearth?

Thanks.
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭sligo_dave

(1) Yes, its ok to insert the solid fuel insert stove directly to fireback and seal with rope once its correctly fitted to manufacturers recommendations. This is more dependant on chimney; if its in good condition it'll be fine, if not a flexi liner would be recommended to the top. and the idea of pipe into a register plate is a bad idea as any soot deposits that fall will sit on this flat spot and serious fire hazard, wheres if sloped down into stove then anything that falls will be burned off.

(2) Short answer is no, back boiler needs to be removed to install insert stove which can be got with a backboiler (Esse 350GS) and in some cases for freestanding stove depending on back-boiler in place as flue pipe needs to go into chimney from free-standing unit. How can a stove without the water going through it heat it? Not possible, your neighbour is mistaken/wrong.

(3) Yes, easy to change but you usually must remove fireplace as back-boiler is generally sealed behind fireplace insert, so isert with boiler may be best option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You install a stainless steel twin walled flexi flue liner the same width as the opening of the stove,this helps the stove to burn and operate properly and also prevents condensation too.

The direction arrows on the liner MUST point upwards from the stove towards the chimney pot.

Do it propperly and the stove will function propperly.

I went through this process recently (horrible 70s open fireplace to Stovax Inset stove),and it turned out very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

One further question:

(4) With an insert stove do you loose a lot of the heat to the sides and back of the chimney/fireplace? With a free standing stove I imagine you get more heat as both sides of the stove are external to the room?

Tks

tm2204 wrote: »
    One further question:

(4) With an insert stove do you loose a lot of the heat to the sides and back of the chimney/fireplace? With a free standing stove I imagine you get more heat as both sides of the stove are external to the room?

Tks

Nio not really,as the inset stoves are designed and built with this in mind.

paddy147 wrote: »
    You install a stainless steel twin walled flexi flue liner the same width as the opening of the stove,this helps the stove to burn and operate properly and also prevents condensation too.

The direction arrows on the liner MUST point upwards from the stove towards the chimney pot.

Do it propperly and the stove will function propperly.

I went through this process recently (horrible 70s open fireplace to Stovax Inset stove),and it turned out very well.

Paddy,

Very nice insert stove.

Why did you need to run the flexi flue liner from stove to top of your chimney? If the stove is sealed in could you not just let the stove vent into the chimney as per my original post point (1)? Is your way better/safer?

Tks

• Advertisement

Anybody got any experience of this reasonably priced boiler stove?

Tks

Paddy,

Very nice insert stove.

Why did you need to run the flexi flue liner from stove to top of your chimney? If the stove is sealed in could you not just let the stove vent into the chimney as per my original post point (1)? Is your way better/safer?

Tks

For a stove to be as effiecent as possible you run the same diameter pipe as the outlet/spigot on the stove.

Mine was 6 inch spigot,so therefore I used a 6 inch flexi flue liner.

Multi fuel stoves burn at a higher temp rate too and the flexi flue liner helps the stove to work to its best performance and extract fumes quicky too.

Even Stovax stoves themselves reccomend using a lineer

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Tks

These stove threads are all over the place and going on at the same time here's one I posted earlier as to why you need a liner.

Double posts, cross posts and just plain ole roundy roundy same questions over and over. I'm alright now:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭creedp

Thanks for the very informative reply Antiquo. I agree with you re: multipe threads on this as I have only came across this one last night and given my state of confusion felt the need to contribute to both this and the the one you have just provided the link to. Personally I didn't access the DIY forum on Boards before yesterday as I thought the C&P forum would be more appropriate to new builds and anyway I wouldn't consider installing a stove to be a DIY job! - That's just me by the way!

Its all starting to look a bit clearer now thats the these threads and it seems the std process is to line and insulate the existing chimney and vent stove preferably from the top. Im just going ot have to pick another fight with builder on this and get him to install this stuff - he won't be happy having to remove the birdcage on top of chimney!!

bty I was interested in the discussion on the other thread concerning the pro and cons of cast iron -v- steel stoves. Anyone got anything to add on this. Like a lot of people and retailers of these stoves I didn't even know there was such a debate not to mind issues such as proper installation.

A family member recently installed a stove using a professional and it was simply bunged into an existing fireplace with absolutely no space around it or in front, presumably vented from the rear and definitely no chimney liner! Why is that the norm in this country?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

creedp wrote: »
    A family member recently installed a stove using a professional and it was simply bunged into an existing fireplace with absolutely no space around it or in front, presumably vented from the rear and definitely no chimney liner! Why is that the norm in this country?

Thanks again

A proffesional what? Nobody checks or regulates the installation so yippee its a free for all. Everyone is an expert until the insurer won't pay up for a burned down house or God forbid someone dies from CO poisoning as a result of a p!ss poor installation.

Get your info - UK buiding regs (section J) would be a good start then UK installers for the proper way to install.

Why? because they are regulated and have been installing the stoves for years whereas a couple or three years ago nobody here had a stove except those that knew how good they are and had to purchase them and the proper kit in the UK. Now everyone is selling em and everyone is an expert. Nuff said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

paddy147 wrote: »

Hi paddy147, lovely job there. I notice you took the raised hearth and sank it to floor level - is this a big job? I was asking one of the stove suppliers and he said it'd be quite expensive. But as he also told me I wouldn't need a chimney flue for the stove I'm inclined to doubt everything he told me, having read this thread. (I've an old house)

Advertisement