Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I replace my router ?

Options
  • 15-02-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭

Couple of questions for the Eircom guys on here in advane of my area going NGB :

I'm currently on 3Gb Eircom BB. I'm waiting on NGB upgrade which is meant to happen before the end of March.

Most evenings the connection strength status bar in the bottom right of my laptop screen is on 1 or 2 bars. I don't think I've ever seen it on 5 bars. Here's a signal strength test taken just now :

1159111509.png

My netopia modem has taken a couple of falls over the years and the two plastic antennae at the back are really only resting on their screw bases, rather than being fixed to them.

My questions are :

1) Should I be getting a better signal strength than 1 or 2 bars ?

2) Should I replace my router to co-incide with NGB coming on stream ? If so, how do I go about that and how much does that cost ?

Thanks
    eigrod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

eigrod wrote: »
    Couple of questions for the Eircom guys on here in advane of my area going NGB :

I'm currently on 3Gb Eircom BB. I'm waiting on NGB upgrade which is meant to happen before the end of March.

Most evenings the connection strength status bar in the bottom right of my laptop screen is on 1 or 2 bars. I don't think I've ever seen it on 5 bars. Here's a signal strength test taken just now :

1159111509.png

My netopia modem has taken a couple of falls over the years and the two plastic antennae at the back are really only resting on their screw bases, rather than being fixed to them.

My questions are :

1) Should I be getting a better signal strength than 1 or 2 bars ?

2) Should I replace my router to co-incide with NGB coming on stream ? If so, how do I go about that and how much does that cost ?

Thanks
    eigrod

Hi eigrod,

First you can run a few checks with the modem on - http://bit.ly/9DMax0

If the wireless signal has not improved, I would suggest calling broadband technical support on 1890 260 260 so they can run a few checks. If the modem is faulty then can arrange a replacement.

Just to let you know.

Customers can either purchase a modem from eircom for €49.99.

Or customers can agree to enter a new 12 month contract with eircom and get a modem sent out free of charge.

Or customers are free to purchase modems personaly.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement