Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smurfit - MSc Business Analytics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Paddy Orwell

Lexor, I presume the timetable will follow the 2009-2010 timetable (given that the part-time course runs every two years). The 2009-2010 timetable is here: http://www.smurfitschool.ie/t4cms/BA%20Sample%20Timetable.xls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hotspurs

Thanks a million, Lexor. The Programme Manager told me that the timetable hasn't been agreed upon. Paddy Orwell could be right - probably the same as 2009-10.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dimbodoyle

Hi
    I've just accepted a part time place on this program, if anyone else is on the program this September pm me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hotspurs

hello dimbodoyle, great to have company ! forgive my ignorance, i don't see the PM option on this thread. PM me with details of how you're preparing for the programme. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Joe_Soap

Are there many companies in Ireland looking for people with this qualification? Has anyone on here gotten a job (or know someone who has gotten a job) due to doing this course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

This course has always had lots of demand for its graduates, but the rather odd situation in a recession of not having high demand for places, although the graduates were easily getting jobs. This year this seems to have changed and applications have greatly increased, so if there is anyone else thinking about it I would stop thinking immediately and get my application in. Today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭darraghw

@ ucdperson was just wondering what format will the programming entrance exam be in? How is it examined exactly?

darraghw wrote: »
    @ ucdperson was just wondering what format will the programming entrance exam be in? How is it examined exactly?

Entrance Exam?!? What the ...??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭darraghw

Sorry should have stated that this is only for people without sufficient programming experience!

As darraghw said, if applicants are otherwise qualified but haven't done a formal programming course then they can sit a programming test, if they wish. This can be in a number of languages, although Java is used on the program.

Darraghw, you should contact the programme director about this, not least because of different languages etc the tests may be different. But the format of the test is something like 90mins or two hours where you write a program. The program has loops and if statements and would do something like calculate averages, calculate prime numbers or the like.

The intention here is to ensure that people have some aptitude for programming and that they have a clear idea of what they are signing up for!

The graduates of the MSc in Business Analytics are in such demand as they both understand quant techniques and have the ability to implement these on a computer, but this requires filtering of applicants for ability in both of these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AIM69

Hi

I have a place offered and under pressure to accept or reject it. I am post graduate in engg with 15+ yrs experience. Working full time and would like to move away from Civil Engg. Well conversant with Linear Programming, Multiple Linaer Regression, Java, etc and attracted to it.

I am very much confused choosing between MSc Business Analytics and MBA in IBAT.

Any suggestions welcome.

AIM69

I am very much confused choosing between MSc Business Analytics and MBA in IBAT.

An MBA is an overview of various business subjects to help you manage.

The MSc Business Analytics is the application of quantitative techniques to analyse business problems to improve management.
    Well conversant with Linear Programming, Multiple Linaer Regression, Java, etc and attracted to it.

Well this means that you have a fair idea of what's involved. Do you want to do this kind of thing, or perhaps manage the doing of this kind of thing or do you want to become a general manager?

Have the dates been confirmed yet for the two day crash course on Java ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AIM69

graduate wrote: »
    An MBA is an overview of various business subjects to help you manage.

The MSc Business Analytics is the application of quantitative techniques to analyse business problems to improve management.

Well this means that you have a fair idea of what's involved. Do you want to do this kind of thing, or perhaps manage the doing of this kind of thing or do you want to become a general manager?

graduate, well I want to manage the doing of this kind of thing.

graduate, well I want to manage the doing of this kind of thing.

A thirty something with experience of running projects, even engineering ones, is going to be in contention for leading analytics projects after doing the MSc, whereas a 21 year old might not be.

Will an MBA qualify you for the work you want? This is personal thing, some people like tech stuff some don't.

Looking at the part-time provisional timetable, I see that a java programming exam is a compulsory part of the Producing the Dissertation module... :eek: ...wasn't expecting that.

I see that a java programming exam is a compulsory part of the Producing the Dissertation module...

Programming is an integral part of this programme, one of the reasons why you get such a cheap fee!

graduate wrote: »
    Programming is an integral part of this programme, one of the reasons why you get such a cheap fee!

???

Why would programming in the course make the fee cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Lexor

@graduate: accept the principal of the course being at a reduced price because of the programming...but given that the exam on Java programming was never mentioned in any of the course prospectus, can you give us some useful information as to the degree of java knowledge required? i.e will the knowledge of java required for the exam be upto (say) Oracle Certified Professional Java Programmer standard?

The Java exam and mark as part of the Producing the Dissertation module reflects two things.

Firstly people need Java to do assignments. They got marks for the assignments, but not really for the Java, so this ensures that people get a reasonable amount of marks for a part of the MSc that is a significant amount of work.

Secondly the exam format keeps people honest and ensures that they can actually program themselves rather than getting their assignments done for them by someone else.

The Java covered is based on the needs of the MSc, there isn't any extra stuff in there. I doubt if it would have as much content as a commercial certification. There are aspects of commercial computing like interfaces or database handling that are not emphasised in the MSc, which is more concerned with algorithms and numerical stability. If you email the programme director he can probably provide more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

Hi. I saw in this thread that without programming experience you can take a programming test for entry into the masters. The maths side I'd find grand but haven't used Java or C++ before. Just wondering how hard the programming test is or what kind of level you would need in these languages. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sweetcorn01

Lexor wrote: »
    will the knowledge of java required for the exam be upto (say) Oracle Certified Professional Java Programmer standard?

Past student here, the programming standard would not be as high as professional certs.

I would say the student would need hands on practical working knowledge of java, rather than being able to ramble off a bunch of definitions on polymorphisms etc...

If you can use eclipse, get some classes to tie in with each other, create objects, constructors, basic looping algorithms etc then this would be sufficient I would say. A basic knowledge of data structures would be useful, although this is covered in the course too.

Just wondering how hard the programming test is or what kind of level you would need in these languages. Thanks

The intake to this MSc come from a variety of backgrounds, so you don't have to have done a lot of programming. There is a huge difference between none and some in this context.
    You should have
    • done some programming
    • enjoyed the bit of programming
    • were good at it
    • be interested in getting more of it.

If you haven't done a formal course we'll give you a qualification test, if you are otherwise suitable.

As posted previously
    the format of the test is something like 90mins or two hours where you write a program. The program has loops and if statements and would do something like calculate averages, calculate prime numbers or the like.

The intention here is to ensure that people have some aptitude for programming and that they have a clear idea of what they are signing up for!

This is as much for the benefit of the applicants as anything. Some people just can't tolerate programming, and they shouldn't sign up for this course in that case. Just as people who can't tolerate maths shouldn't, although some are tempted as it is less expensive than other Smurfit school programmes, owing to the Advanced Skills subsidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering (UCD) and a Masters in Engineering Science (UCD). I submitted my thesis in 2009 and since then I have found it difficult to find work at home. I did take up a job as a Qlikview developer, which was a little tough as I had little experience with the software bar what I taught myself and my formal training was a single day course in the UK with more experienced developers. I was happy to find out that I held my own, but I grew tired of the organization I was with, it was a small start-up and I had little support to help me develop, so I decided not to pursue a career.

I recently moved to Australia where I am looking for jobs as a mechanical design engineer. I like it here, but I find myself longing for home and if I got offered a job I don't know if I would be prepared to stay here for a number of years. Yes, I know, fickle or wha!

I'm exploring avenues at home and the MSc caught my eye, my brother is currently in Smurfit and he reckons I would be able for it, he knows a girl from his commerce year doing it and she likes it. What's more, employment prospects are good from what I am told.

Am I mad? I'm 28 now, I feel I'm too old for a(nother) masters and I'm on the verge of becoming "unemployable". If I went for this, it would be tooth and nail, I'd do the one year course and give it socks, so I'm not too worried about my ability or commitment, just whether or not I'm wasting my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

sounds like an ideal background to do the course....

what does "on the verge of becoming unemployable' mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

sounds like an ideal background to do the course....

what does "on the verge of becoming unemployable' mean?

I worry that I'm 28 and 3 years after finishing a masters I have no engineering experience to my name. I'm here in Australia, thinking that this would be the answer to all my problems, but I find that I really like home.

If I keep faffing about I'll be making my CV pretty unattractive to employers.

I'm going to apply for this anyway, it does sound like it would be a good match for me. Maths and programming, what's not to like?

I'm going to apply for this anyway, it does sound like it would be a good match for me.

Engineers seeking a change of direction make up a large part of the intake to this MSc.
    Maths and programming, what's not to like?

That's the spirit! Interesting material and loads of jobs, why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'm going to apply for this anyway, it does sound like it would be a good match for me. Maths and programming, what's not to like?

The application form takes time to fill in (and waiting for referees also) so get stuck in. Waiting to hear back myself now.

Advertisement