Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can anyone tell me what these are?

• 15-02-2011 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

They are on top of a small mountain quite near a described stone circle and a burial mound. There are three of them in a sort of North west, South east line. The stone circle, these things and the burial mound are all on a East/West alinement about equal distance apart. The sit in a hollow on top of the mountain and are square shaped. I think only myself knows of them as the farmer doesn't and there family have been there a long long time.

P1020869.jpg

P1020866.jpg

13122009004-1.jpg

13122009005.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

Mallards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Cailleachdubh

They look like small megalithic structures and are possibly small passage tombs, such as the ones seen at the megalithic cemetry at Sliabh na Caillí, Loughcrew, Co. Meath (see attached). Did you notice any internal pattern of upright stones resembling a passage? You should check the stones for megalithic art if you get a chance. They might be part of a larger prehistoric cemetery complex related to the nearby burial mound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭mallards

The first and last one have a square shaped hole or pit in the middle. Which made me think they were fulachta fiadh. But when we were clearing whin bushes from the land we came across lots of heaps of stones near these features.

P1020861.jpg

There are four or five stone circles nearby also.

IMG_0952.jpg

Thanks for the info, I will check at the weekend for any artwork on them.

Mallards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Tell us the townland and we might be able to find some information - might find more than can be determined from the photos. Send it by PM if you don't want to post it for all to see...

PM sent.

Thanks,

Mallards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Something about them is reminding me of Booley huts/houses, but I could be way off the mark. These are the remains of structures used by herdsmen while putting cattle on summer pasture in the hills. They are mainly medieval.

There was an article in Archaeology Ireland a few years back, but I am unable to locate it.

Maybe somebody here has access to it?

• Advertisement

Thanks Boneless, they could very well be that. I always though the space inside was too small for someone to live in them but the walls could have collapsed in making them look like that. There is also a very large earth ráth quite near, so they might all be linked.
    Thanks again.

mallards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

mallards wrote: »
    Thanks Boneless, they could very well be that. I always though the space inside was too small for someone to live in them but the walls could have collapsed in making them look like that. There is also a very large earth ráth quite near, so they might all be linked.
    Thanks again.

mallards

any chance of a townland name or a google map location? They all seem located on local high points and exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Looks like South Armagh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Rodin wrote: »
    Looks like South Armagh

My guess is Tyrone.

Yip, East Tyrone at the foothills to the Sperrins.

Mallards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Is there a 'bo' in the townland name?

No, It's a few miles south of the beaghmore stone circles.

Thanks Mallards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

In the second picture they look like a court tomb. The fact they are in tyrone would suggest this rather than passage tombs although i wouldnt dismiss that

Could be, Creggandevesky is very near it.

Mallards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 moreandmoran

mallards wrote: »
    Thanks again.

mallards

there defintly noy booley huts..some form o robbed passage tomb or court cairn???

Advertisement