Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actors in Theatre

Options
  • 15-02-2011 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

On so many actors' biographies I've read the words "he/she joined the Abbey Theatre in 19-whatever". And I wondered, how do you actually 'join' the Abbey theatre? I thought you had to be invited? The same has been said of actors who 'joined' the RSC. The statement makes it sound so easy, like joining a club, and I know that can't be the case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 observe

In its early years, the Abbey had an acting company, where people trained etc and as such were cast in Abbey productions. However, they went through an audition process/interview, so didn't merely 'join'.
    The Abbey has a casting department and they accept C.V. and headshot submissions http://abbeytheatre.ie Their website states that they hold general auditions but this is by invitation only. In fairness to them some recent productions have had new faces in their cast. Send in your C.V. etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks for that, observe. Its not for me though, I was enquiring on behalf of a family member who is getting only no-pay acting jobs and has had to give it up for a while to take an 'ordinary job', and lucky to get that as well in these hard times. Have you any other suggestions for a struggling actor?

Advertisement