Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Walsh

Options
  • 15-02-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

People came to my door to canvas for Eamon Walsh. He is an independent. I don't him at all but his main campaign is for People with Disabilities.

I am open to correction but I think somebody in his family has a disability and through his experience in dealing with this; Eamon has seen were the systems to help disabled people are broken and he want to set out to make them right.

More info here:
    http://www.eamonwalsh.ie
    http://www.facebook.com/eamongwalsh

Disability is something close to my own heart so I will be supporting him on Election Day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

He runs Hope4Disability, his son is disabled.

He's a nice guy but as independents go, i'll give Catherine Connolly higher preference, think i'll give him a 4 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Catherine Connolly was getting my first preference at one time, and will still get a fairly high preference, but Eamon Walsh is getting my number 1 next week. After trying to learn as much as I can about the candidates he strikes me as the one with the most integrity. As an added bonus he is a genuine independent rather than being a former candidate of one of the establishment parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Only thing that worries me is who he'd go into a technicl group with, if he would go in with the likes of Noel Grealish, he can forget it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I'd like to think that even if someone in my family was disabled, I'd be sensible enough to see the bigger picture when it comes to things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I'd like to think that even if someone in my family was disabled, I'd be sensible enough to see the bigger picture when it comes to things like this.
    His background is in campaigning for people with disabilities but that is not the basis for his General Election campaign. He is running as an Independent with the stated aim of forming a group of like minded independents in the next Dail which will be in a position by their presence to have an impact on any 'business as usual' attitude from the established parties. It seems to me that there are enough independents with a real chance of success running in other constituencies to give this type of grouping a real chance.

If Walsh was running a single issue campaign I would not be voting for him but he's not. But I do I see his background in disability campaigning as an asset as ten years of activism and direct interaction with government departments would put him in a better position than many independents if elected. It means he is not an inexperienced arriviste like some of the other independents who have put their names forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

He is also a business man, running his own company, so should have a grasp of the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Personally, I like that he has a real grasp of the much touted 'knowledge economy' - he has the academic qualifications (Physics & Engineering) along with the real world experience (as a SME) that I don't see in many others. As far as I'm aware his campaigning on social issues goes beyond his personal family interest i.e. his stand on society and what we want it to be is broad (as I understand it).

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

ciotog wrote: »
    Personally, I like that he has a real grasp of the much touted 'knowledge economy' - he has the academic qualifications (Physics & Engineering) along with the real world experience (as a SME) that I don't see in many others. As far as I'm aware his campaigning on social issues goes beyond his personal family interest i.e. his stand on society and what we want it to be is broad (as I understand it).

I agree. That's why he'll be getting my #1.

I saw his posters on the quincentennial bridge. Good to see him getting some exposure at last. I think he's from near enough the same neck of the woods as Grealish so hopefully he'll be able to get some votes that would otherwise be going to Grealish...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

I had him at my door last night and he seems to be one of the better candidates by far. He'll get my number 1 or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

I agree with some of the earlier posts - I've been looking closely at candidates backgrounds rather than their election promises in an attempt to see proven track records elsewhere that might indicate a good prospect for the Dáil... Do they have strong academic qualifications and proven success in business or a profession or academia .... or are they time-served councillors or trainee solicitors with all the party talk but none of the non-political track record... Have they put themselves out there for good causes like Walsh for disabilites resources (I think H. Naughton has done some big fundraising for charity too...)

For that reason, I'm impressed with Eamonn Walsh as a strong independant candidate - I get the impression he has ability and integrity and won't be distracted with potholes and other stuff that should be dealt with at local level and not by TDs...

My 2 cent anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

He'll be getting my Number one. He's literally the only Candidate that I've any faith in. It's purely Blind faith but there's something about him that seems honest and is the only Politician with any integrity running in Galway West.
    It also helps reading his Profile that he's actually qualified for the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

He was treated very unfairly at the NUIG candidates debate and wasn't allowed sit at the main table with the better known candidates. He still managed to do very well however and I was quite impressed by him, unfortunately I'm not registered in Galway West and can't vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

Duffy thats slightly misleading, I was there

they had limited room for people on stage and time for each candidate

It looked at one stage Fidelma and Derek Nolan werent going to show up adn he was asked to go onto the main stage but he was reluctant to go up

But in fairness he spoke well and they gave him more time that he was allotted

Advertisement