Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL anyone?

Options
  • 15-02-2011 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has done the tefl courses and worked abroad as a result?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I haven't done it personally, but know a few people who have. They did around 160hours TEFL and went to South Korea to teach. I think you may also need a degree to teach there but there are loads of other countries that dont require a degree but may require more TEFL hours. The pay in S.Korea is very good(around 1200€ per month including accomadation) but its a bit hit or miss with the schools. you could be lucky and get a job in a great school or not so nice one:/
    A company called www.tigerenglish.com has some great info and you can apply for jobs through them aswell.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lady of the flowers

hey,
    If you are serious about TEFL as a career you need to do a course that is CELTA/TESOL or ACELS recognised....think it has to be at least 120 hours (maybe more) and has teaching practice...there's an ACELS website if I remember correctly (ACELS is Irish and international...Celta/TESOL international, from what I recall) These courses ain't cheap, and as far as I know you need a degree. Whatever course you do....if you are after accreditation check first...I completed a course I thought was accredited and wasn't (everyone else on the course thought it was too)

There are many other courses you can do, without this accreditation, some which offer placements after. I'm not sure what their reputation is, but they may be well respected... Also for some work you don't need to have a course at all (although, TEFL is hard...I did a course and still felt grossly inadequate). Good sources for jobs are Jacobs/Peebles website and Dave's cafe, both of which should have info about courses etc. This information may be a little out of date but hope it helps.
    I briefly taught english in Ireland and in Australia...enjoyed it, but found it challenging, there are lots of videos on you tube to give you an idea of what it's like. Good luck with it:)

Advertisement