Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trevor Ó Clochartaigh

Options
  • 15-02-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

Sinn Féin candidate doing well in our poll. So thought since everyone else is having a thread, this guy also could have a shout for the last seat, I'll certainly vote for him.

Ex-Producer of Ros na Run and Fair City! Also, he was project manager for Gaelsceal and lectures Business through Irish in GMIT.

You never know could be the first SF TD in Galway West since the 1920s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

I think he also has something to do with the Taibhdhearc. He seems well able to hold his own - heard him on radio a couple of times and he was better than most. Would think about giving him a vote.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I knew him before I knew he was SF. Great guy. I'm so conflicted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Tell you one thing if Sinn Fein got in I would have the few euros I have out of the bank before they collapse with the lunatic ideas that they have put forward, the Country would fall apart in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

He ran for Labour last time I think. He's a good guy I think. If he was running for them again he would get my vote, but I would find it hard to give my no.1 to a SF candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Tell you one thing if Sinn Fein got in I would have the few euros I have out of the bank before they collapse with the lunatic ideas that they have put forward, the Country would fall apart in weeks.
    Ya i like their moxie but the policies they have come out with are nothing short of mental in financial terms, couldn't even give them a last preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

He is great, we used live near him but I wonder are the policies a bit pie-in-the-sky...maybe not...

Storm 10 wrote: »

Hello Mr. O'Cuiv welcome to boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

PomBear wrote: »
    Sinn Féin candidate doing well in our poll. So thought since everyone else is having a thread, this guy also could have a shout for the last seat, I'll certainly vote for him.

Ex-Producer of Ros na Run and Fair City! Also, he was project manager for Gaelsceal and lectures Business through Irish in GMIT.

an interesting CV.
    so he belongs to the new generation of shinners who never held a gun in their hands.

would Galway West vote SF?

an interesting CV.
    so he belongs to the new generation of shinners who never held a gun in their hands.

would Galway West vote SF?
    are we ready to embrace marxism?

• Advertisement

Hello Mr. O'Cuiv welcome to boards!

the middle class is afraid to vote SF. do we really want the boat to be rocked that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dunno how much sway the "didn't grow up here" vote holds ... I'm but it would take a lot to convince me to vote for someone whose name I cannot pronounce.

Sad perhaps, if he is good, but true.

JustMary wrote: »
    Dunno how much sway the "didn't grow up here" vote holds ... I'm but it would take a lot to convince me to vote for someone whose name I cannot pronounce.

i know, he seems to belong to the wilde Irishe, if indeed he speaks erse. should we let his type into the city at all? maybe he should change his name to something more appropriate like smith.

on a perhaps unrelated matter, how can you live in town heavily influenced by Gaelic culture and not know how to pronounce basic names?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

He does speak Irish, for the record.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    He does speak Irish, for the record.

fluently or just a few token phrases like "tiocfaidh ar la" and " a dhaoine uaisle?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Fuinseog wrote: »
    fluently or just a few token phrases like "tiocfaidh ar la" and " a dhaoine uaisle?

No, he's a native speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I knew him more than 20 years ago in the Taibhdhearc. He had beautiful Irish then; doubt if he's forgotten it since. An absolute gentleman, whatever about his politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm but it would take a lot to convince me to vote for someone whose name I cannot pronounce.

It's hardly his fault you can't speak Irish

Seven Worlds will Collide

churchview wrote: »
    I knew him more than 20 years ago in the Taibhdhearc. He had beautiful Irish then; doubt if he's forgotten it since. An absolute gentleman, whatever about his politics.

a cultured shinner? he could indeed be in within a chance.

apart from the NUIG debate has he come out on any issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I knew him from a few years ago when he was a lecturer in the college,a really nice guy.He went for the local elections last time out.It all comes back though to wanting to vote for 1 particular candidate but not really wanting his/her Party to get into power-thats Democracy for you:(.

• Advertisement

it's an Irish name - surely you knew that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

on a perhaps unrelated matter, how can you live in town heavily influenced by Gaelic culture and not know how to pronounce basic names?

Because there are no damn rules about how to pronounce things! And the Irish don't even all agree on how to pronounce 'em, and as a result most of the tend to mutter a lot, so the rest of us have difficulty picking up what's said.

I never said it was his fault that I can't say his name ... the fault is totally mine. 'Tis his loss, though, that I won't be considering his, even if his parties policies were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

even if his parties policies were good.

Don't worry about it, they're not.

Don't worry about it, they're not.

which one do you disagree with?

which one do you disagree with?

Setting up a marxist republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Setting up a marxist republic.

None of Sinn Féin's policies mention Marxism or setting up a Marxist Republic.

Yeah I'll bet they don't. I doubt their election manifesto ever mentioned the IRA either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Yeah I'll bet they don't. I doubt their election manifesto ever mentioned the IRA either...

An age old argument not worth getting into.

FF, FG, Labour all have a bloody past - Sinn Féin's is the most recent so people will continue to bring it up as a reason for being anti-SF as The Troubles are not yet a distant memory. SF's popularity will only rise and rise as their links to violence become ancient history....

Because there are no damn rules about how to pronounce things! And the Irish don't even all agree on how to pronounce 'em, and as a result most of the tend to mutter a lot, so the rest of us have difficulty picking up what's said.

I never said it was his fault that I can't say his name ... the fault is totally mine. 'Tis his loss, though, that I won't be considering his, even if his parties policies were good.

they are the only ones the david mcwilliams and other economists agree with so really, Tis your loss :D

• Advertisement

Jamey wrote: »
    An age old argument not worth getting into.

FF, FG, Labour all have a bloody past - Sinn Féin's is the most recent so people will continue to bring it up as a reason for being anti-SF as The Troubles are not yet a distant memory. SF's popularity will only rise and rise as their links to violence become ancient history....

I'm not saying their links aren't a reason to vote for them, I'm saying they never included blowing up bars in any election manifesto, while the IRA were doing it. i.e. Their stated policies and their actual aims, methods and goals have differed in the past, and likely still do.
    they are the only ones the david mcwilliams and other economists agree with so really, Tis your loss :D

{{Citation needed}}

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement