Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trevor Ó Clochartaigh

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

pope - I refer to david mcwilliams talk on newstalk last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

JustMary wrote: »
    Because there are no damn rules about how to pronounce things! And the Irish don't even all agree on how to pronounce 'em, and as a result most of the tend to mutter a lot, so the rest of us have difficulty picking up what's said.

I never said it was his fault that I can't say his name ... the fault is totally mine. 'Tis his loss, though, that I won't be considering his, even if his parties policies were good.

You won't have to say his name out loud when you vote, you just put a number in a box... Are you serious about not voting for a person cause of their name?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Because there are no damn rules about how to pronounce things! And the Irish don't even all agree on how to pronounce 'em, and as a result most of the tend to mutter a lot, so the rest of us have difficulty picking up what's said.

I never said it was his fault that I can't say his name ... the fault is totally mine. 'Tis his loss, though, that I won't be considering his, even if his parties policies were good.

Is fearr Gaeilge bhriste ná Béarla cliste.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lezza

WHATS WITH THE SINN FEIN 8X4 POSTERS TO DO WITH OIL AND GAS SEEMS VERY INTERESTING

''EVEN WHEN WE STRIKE OIL AND GAS, FIANNA FAIL GIVE IT AWAY, THERE IS A BETTER WAY VÓTAIL SINN FEIN!''

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Dunno how much sway the "didn't grow up here" vote holds ...
    Never did Eamon O'Cuiv any harm did it?
    (I love giving the boggers the shock of their lives by asking them to look up O'Cuiv's wikipedia page :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Dunno how much sway the "didn't grow up here" vote holds ... I'm but it would take a lot to convince me to vote for someone whose name I cannot pronounce.

Sad perhaps, if he is good, but true.

facepalm.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

lezza wrote: »
    WHATS WITH THE SINN FEIN 8X4 POSTERS TO DO WITH OIL AND GAS SEEMS VERY INTERESTING

''EVEN WHEN WE STRIKE OIL AND GAS, FIANNA FAIL GIVE IT AWAY, THERE IS A BETTER WAY VÓTAIL SINN FEIN!''
    I don't think the diesel fields of South Armagh and Hackballscross hold the solution to all of our energy supply problems.

must be to do with the 540 billion worth of oil and gas of the coast of ireland thats been sold by that corrupt politician ray burke, we get nothing of this 540 billion

What's with the block cap's?

Strange this hasn't been mentioned yet......

But one fault I would have with Trevor is his big pamphlet.
    I was looking over it yesterday and EVERY single part is in Irish.
    Maybe there was an English one but I couldn't see it amongst the ones we've got so far.

Do they not realise that I like most people can't read it? :confused:

• Advertisement

Starie1975 wrote: »
    What's with the block cap's?

emphasis:)

emphasis:)

Sorry just seen the sign it is also in block cap's.......my bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

must be to do with the 540 billion worth of oil and gas of the coast of ireland thats been sold by that corrupt politician ray burke, we get nothing of this 540 billion

Hi Lezza,

Out of curiosity, where did this figure come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

i got a pamphlet with english on one side and irish on the other.

I quite like the posters saying ff gave away our natural resourses for nothing. shows them up by using the truth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I quite like the posters saying ff gave away our natural resourses for nothing. shows them up by using the truth.
    Well they're giving away all our money so they may as well be consistent and give away everything else we have too!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah but then their other placard says "We will give back all the 2010 budget cuts." A promise they'll never have to fulfill but it might get them a couple of extra seats, handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Hi Lezza,

It's from some figures used by the petroleum affairs division, but doesn't refer to what shell to sea and their shinner friends would have you believe.
    Current value of corrib is about 6-9bn and it will cost 2.5bn to develop before anything comes out.

The petroleum affairs division job is to sell exploration licenses.
    They say there could be 540bn of oil and gas out there somewhere , it's just on one has found it yet, but it could be you!
    To quote from their current license round
    Irish Atlantic waters have traditionally been inhospitable areas for petroleum exploration. Circa 150 wells have been drilled in the last 30 years with a less than 1 in 30 success ratio (discovery of commercial fields).

Yet, it is estimated that the area is likely to be rich in petroleum reserves. There are potential reserves of 10 billion barrels of oil equivalent (oil or gas) in the Irish Atlantic Margin.
    Yes rich in huge reserves that no one seems able to find. If you're interested you have until May 31st to apply for a license in the current round. But I'm afraid the terms aren't as generous as those enterprise oil got for the corrib field any more.

The 540bn number has been quoted out of context enough times now by the shiners and their shell to sea friends that some people think corrib is worth that much. :rolleyes:
    Mission accomplished for them I suppose.

Hi Lezza,

at the last survey done ir was announced that it was worth 464 billon but on further analysis and price hikes in todays market it is worth 540 billion and we only get 25% of its ROYALTIES which in turn shell can knock off by writing tax off against it, not only irish tax profits but any shell project around the globe, its mental, i have no problem getting oil and gas into this country, i want it! but i think we should have it all for ourselves like every other country does! we could take a 100 billion give it to imf and restructure the state easily on the rest and never see the end to our money like norway did and continue to do! KEEP A EYE OUT FOR THE ''540BILLION EURO NOTE'' PAMPHLET REALEASED RECENTLY VERY GOOD INFORMATION ON THIS

dloob wrote: »
    It's from some figures used by the petroleum affairs division, but doesn't refer to what shell to sea and their shinner friends would have you believe.
    Current value of corrib is about 6-9bn and it will cost 2.5bn to develop before anything comes out.

The petroleum affairs division job is to sell exploration licenses.
    They say there could be 540bn of oil and gas out there somewhere , it's just on one has found it yet, but it could be you!
    To quote from their current license round

Yes rich in huge reserves that no one seems able to find. If you're interested you have until May 31st to apply for a license in the current round. But I'm afraid the terms aren't as generous as those enterprise oil got for the corrib field any more.

The 540bn number has been quoted out of context enough times now by the shiners and their shell to sea friends that some people think corrib is worth that much. :rolleyes:
    Mission accomplished for them I suppose.

I'll say this and no more my father drilled in seven different spots around ireland ALL of these spots produced 10000 barrels of crude oil for testing, the oil is easily found, i know its just in deeper water big deal this was done in the 1970/80's with todays technology it can easily be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Are the rights of all of our oil and gas sold in their entirety? To whom and is there any way of reversing this?

Any links to when it happened and the process?

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote: »
    Are the rights of all of our oil and gas sold in their entirety? To whom and is there any way of reversing this?

see this is it it all happened behind our backs finton o toole might have a article on this in the indo soon he usually mentions this monthly if you wanna know more about it buy lorna siggin's book 'once upon a time in the west' i dont care for these hippys bring the feckin oil in drill through rossport but make it worth our while! all oil and gas can be reclaimed to to it being a corrupt agreement!! its nil and void

actually visit http://www.shelltosea.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Yeah but then their other placard says "We will give back all the 2010 budget cuts." A promise they'll never have to fulfill but it might get them a couple of extra seats, handy.

They promise to reverse all budget cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

I like the talk about securing the country's natural assets for its inhabitants; this is, or ought to be, a real political hot potato as Ireland will come under increased pressure to sell off these resources at fire-sale prices. For example, did you know about the proposals to privatise Coillte, which administers seven per cent of the total land area of the country? Or that Bertie Ahern is involved as chairman of the International Forestry Fund? In the UK, David Cameron has just been forced to do a U-turn on selling off English forests - would Irish people do the same? I am pessimistic, given the attitude of many people to the environment.

http://fisnua.com/?p=442
    http://www.woodlandleague.org/
    http://www.tribune.ie/article/2010/dec/05/aherns-international-forestry-body-could-own-7-of-/
    http://www.forestry-fund.com/Key-People/key-people-overview.html

Having said that, I am very reluctant to vote SF because of the IRA connections. You can say that the IRA is history, but punishment beatings, bank robberies and brutal murders (e.g. Robert McCartney in 2005) still continue in the north, as far as I am aware.

padraig71 wrote: »
    Having said that, I am very reluctant to vote SF because of the IRA connections. You can say that the IRA is history, but punishment beatings, bank robberies and brutal murders (e.g. Robert McCartney in 2005) still continue in the north, as far as I am aware.

The IRA have decommissioned i.e. no weapons, no longer carry out military operations.
    Sinn Féin are invested into the peace process.

I'll say this and no more my father drilled in seven different spots around ireland ALL of these spots produced 10000 barrels of crude oil for testing, the oil is easily found, i know its just in deeper water big deal this was done in the 1970/80's with todays technology it can easily be done!

Ohh right so it's just no one can be bothered to drill for it is it?

dloob wrote: »
    Ohh right so it's just no one can be bothered to drill for it is it?

probably costs a bit of money to drill, see Norwegian model

kraggy wrote: »

You're looking for the Petroleum Affairs division
    http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Natural/Petroleum+Affairs+Division/
    They look after it all.
    The licensing is an on going process.
    There are some for offer at the moment in the atlantic margin area.
    They issued some in 2008 for the Porcupine basin.
    The exploration license last for a few years and if you find anything in that time you can get a lease to extract it.
    I think only a small fraction of the total area has licenses actually issued.

PomBear wrote: »
    probably costs a bit of money to drill, see Norwegian model

Good 100 mil per test well. The Norwegians let you write off allmost all the cost of your failed wells against the tax on successful ones.

Still if there was half a trillion there you think some one would have drilled it, unless it's not commercially viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

PomBear wrote: »
    The IRA have decommissioned i.e. no weapons, no longer carry out military operations.
    Sinn Féin are invested into the peace process.

But don't the same people who belonged to the IRA still enforce vigilante justice and engage in organised crime, such as the recreational drug trade? (I wonder what is Sinn Fein's policy on liberalisation vs. prohibition.)

Do you believe Gerry Adams was never in the IRA as he says? I think he would be more credible if he were more honest about the past.

• Advertisement

at the last survey done ir was announced that it was worth 464 billon but on further analysis and price hikes in todays market it is worth 540 billion and we only get 25% of its ROYALTIES which in turn shell can knock off by writing tax off against it, not only irish tax profits but any shell project around the globe, its mental, i have no problem getting oil and gas into this country, i want it! but i think we should have it all for ourselves like every other country does! we could take a 100 billion give it to imf and restructure the state easily on the rest and never see the end to our money like norway did and continue to do! KEEP A EYE OUT FOR THE ''540BILLION EURO NOTE'' PAMPHLET REALEASED RECENTLY VERY GOOD INFORMATION ON THIS

Shell's corrib field is worth 6-9 billion.
    Don't fall for the trick of mentioning corrib at the same time as possible total national reserves.
    I'll admit it's a good trick and has fooled a lot of people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement