Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trevor Ó Clochartaigh

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭hoorsmelt

Their parties? Plural?

Fianna Fail have ruined the country, let's not hang their sins on every other party.

PD's, Greens? Lest we forget, FG wanted to cut stamp duty during the boom to boost the property market too. No, they're all the same, though as you rightly point out there are hierarchies of responsibility with FF and the PDs at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

Adrian009 wrote: »
    The only people who actively want a united Ireland are SF, who form only a small portion of the total island population.
    I don't see the point of a united Ireland in the 21st century.
    Its an idea that's outlived its time. It should be let die.
    Last real chance we had for a UI was the 1640's.

The reunification of a 32 county Ireland is only issue that stops me voting for Sinn Fein, everything else they say I find myself in agreement with. If they could agree that the time for a united Ireland has past, they would get my first preference tomorrow (literally).

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

interesting viewing last night where Pierce Doherty put the question of droppoing the TD's wages by 40 percent and having a cap at 190,000 for any one person. The other four, FF, FG, Green, Labour nearly had a coronary - no were were they going to drop their wages. Anyone see that.

The other four showed their colours alright, Sinn Fein did seem to be the only party to who wanted real reform.
    But I must say SF have been most impressive and upfront with this election. Fair play

Me to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Adrian009

The reunification of a 32 county Ireland is only issue that stops me voting for Sinn Fein, everything else they say I find myself in agreement with. If they could agree that the time for a united Ireland has past, they would get my first preference tomorrow (literally).

Seriously? I would have thought that would be the one issue guar'n'ted to make you vote SF. Why don't you think UI is a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Their parties? Plural?

Fianna Fail have ruined the country, let's not hang their sins on every other party.

That's true but the greens insisted on voting through the finance bill even after they left government, they are at least partly responsible even if they didn't cause the initial mess. They should have pulled out as soon as the idea of an imf/eu bailout became apparent but that's what happens when one party in government allows the other free rein on economic policy.

If that's really the only thing holding you back then you should really think about voting SF, since the Good Friday agreement they have put an end to any policies designed to unite Ireland by force, they have accepted the right of Unionists to remain part of the UK and a united Ireland will not happen until the majority of the North's population votes in favour of it. Its no longer the main issue that the run on but a principle that they hope to see happen at some point in the far off future. Every other party holds pretty much the same position on it as SF at this stage (or rather SF holds the same position...) its just that SF are first and foremost associated with a UI, because they are the only party running in both irelands. Personally a UI is not something I need to see any time soon but the rest of SF policy represents me more than any other party so you take the good with the bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Good luck a mhac!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

hoorsmelt wrote: »
    PD's, Greens? Lest we forget, FG wanted to cut stamp duty during the boom to boost the property market too. No, they're all the same, though as you rightly point out there are hierarchies of responsibility with FF and the PDs at the top.

No mention of Labour there...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lezza

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Good luck a mhac!
    he got alot of support in rosmuc;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement