Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wat is best smartfone on market??

Options
  • 15-02-2011 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

im getin new phone but dont no which. have iphone thrown in drawer because of textin issues, kept pressin wrong letters and because the recipients name cumin up on phone when you get message. does all the other smartphones do this? or am i better off stickin to the normal old fashioned keypad phones??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Maybe you should try an Android or Windows Phone with a larger screen :) Would solve the typing issue and would get the correct contacts you want when typing in a contact name in the message :)

All smartphones provide you with existing contacts if you type their name or phone number in the contact bar

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Turn on your iphone, to stop the message preview coming up go to > settings > messages > show preview (switch to off).

Keyboard is excellent on the iphone, i'ts great and the predictive text works brilliant.

You have one of the best smart phones out there, give it another try, failing that sell it and get yourself a nokia. If you don't like iphone you'll hate windows 7 & android.

Well thats a false statement that he might not like Android or Windows Phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

One that does not use text speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 nellymon

i turned off the notification on the iphone but that wasen the problem, the persons name stil comes up who sent you the message.. that causes its own problem if you no wat i mean.. so i left it in the drawer and bought a nokia e52. but its nite mare for tryin to do anything on the internet.. which the smartphones are great at. so does any off the smartphones just show a message icon when you recieve a message and not their name..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

Turn on your iphone, to stop the message preview coming up go to > settings > messages > show preview (switch to off).

Keyboard is excellent on the iphone, i'ts great and the predictive text works brilliant.

You have one of the best smart phones out there, give it another try, failing that sell it and get yourself a nokia. If you don't like iphone you'll hate windows 7 & android.

I agree with drunkeonkey, I've iPhone, txting is tough for the first day or so, but when you get the hang of it, using both thumbs and phone turned sideways its even easier.

Ive tried top of the range androids and havent been impressed in comparison to iphone... imo its the best smartphone around at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Don't really understand what you're looking for. You could try the Desire Z out. Has a QWERTY keyboard on it. What do you mean about the messages though? Don't you want to see who the text is from? If it's texts that you want to hide from your partner there is an app in the Android Market called Shady SMS which could be exactly what you're looking for.

Don't believe the post about if you hate iOS, you'll hate Android and WP7. They're completely different OS' in terms of what they do. You can't comment unless you've tried all three, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Q: What's best Smartphone on the market?
    A: Iphone 4

Close thread, sorted:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

jarvis wrote: »
    Q: What's the most underwhelming overpriced and less featured Smartphone on the market?

Fixed that for ya :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

jarvis wrote: »
    Q: What's best Smartphone on the market?

ahahahahhhhahahahaha

*ahem*

I got a Nexus S today, very impressed. Has good Samsung hardware, but without the ****ty Samsung software. Best of both worlds. The NFC (smartcard like functionality) will be awesome when apps come out, it can read my Oyster card (am in london right now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Honsetly the keyboard on the iPhone is a lot better than any of the stock Android keyboards, although you might get on well with Swype.

On Android you also get a notification telling you who has sent you a text and a brief preview. Im not sure if it is possible to switch it off.

Why don't you just save the problem contacts in a non-descript way?

Well i like the Android and WP7 notification system cause their not intrusive. Though android one is less intrusive. Whener you want to look at it just pull down the notification bar and it wont interupt anything your doing or wont pop up on anything.

In windows phone a small top box apears and you can slide it to get rid of it or press it to go to the notification.

Regarding keyboard on android i found the gingerbread one was quige good :) Still found my Smart Keyboard Pro the best :) and it didnt cost much and offered themed keyboards which is always nice

bd250110 wrote: »
    Honsetly the keyboard on the iPhone is a lot better than any of the stock Android keyboards, although you might get on well with Swype.

On Android you also get a notification telling you who has sent you a text and a brief preview. Im not sure if it is possible to switch it off.

Why don't you just save the problem contacts in a non-descript way?

Honestly no. You can choose from loads of different keyboards, unlike with iphone nothing is forced on you. People have different preferences, some people like Swype for example (I don't). I agree with evotroll above, the gingerbread keyboard is very good.

Same with SMS, you can choose from many different SMS apps, with different notification options. And again, people have different preferences. This is an infinitely better solution than being stuck with whatever the phone comes with.

feck of
    srsly78w with your issues

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

feck of
    srsly78w with your issues

Feck off with your android whatever, iphone 4 is the best all round mobile device, fact: http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/awards/global_mobile_awards.htm :p

Dude read what i said. I never said it was the best. Never said iPhone was either. I just said that that its an unfair statement that if they dont like the iPhone they wont like other OS.

Go on iTunes.
    Find Windows Phone Mac Connector and read on reviews Mac users left on Windows Phone.
    Alot of x iPhone users love Windows Phone and its not fair to scare people off Android or Windows Phone 7

Nobody owns a windows phone, feck off yourself and stop trolling :D

Yeah your statement is as valid as my obvious trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

(With apologies to David Bowie)

Fanboys,
    fighting on the forums
    oh man, look at those sad nerds go
    it's the freakiest show—

Take a look at the
    Win Phones beating up the Androids
    Oh man, wonder if they'll ever know
    most people don't give a damn...

Is there life on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 nellymon

so its stil between iphone 4 which doesen solve the text problem and samsung galaxy s which has the swipe function.. would that be right???:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Agreed on the Gingerbread keyboard
    When I first gor my ZTE Blade the first thing I did was flash a 2.2 ROM - which had GB Keyboard as default
    I flashed a 2.2 ROM (CM6) which had the 2.2 Keyboard.
    IT WAS AWFUL *sob smiliey*
    Now I am running CyanogenMod 7... well the keyboard is still one of the best things about 2.3 :D

nellymon wrote: »
    so its stil between iphone 4 which doesen solve the text problem and samsung galaxy s which has the swipe function.. would that be right???:confused:

You can get swype on on any android phone.
    I think if your getting fustrations with texting you could go to a shop and have a look at Desire Z. It has a pop out keyboard so you wont have as mouch trouble typing.

All phones currently display the name of the receipient when you recieve a text or a notification

Unless ypu dislike tweaking stuff or want decent gaming, I am confused with regard to your want of the iPhone
    It has a relatively small screen (My Blades screen is smaller.. small fingers :p), for some reason, and you would likely find it a bit hard to text on PERHAPS
    Either go for a large screen phone SGS, DHD etc, or a keyboarded phone like the Desire Z

Nexus S = best at the moment. Galaxy S hardware (plus nfc), with pure google software. Only downsides are: no sdcard, no led notifications. Strange omissions, but I don't really care that much.

However, I STILL had to mod the damn thing. DAMN YOU eu regulations! I installed cyanogen7+soundmod to enable the wolfsson amplifier gain and turn volume up to 11. Aside from this it is as close perfection as you can get.

But guess what? No carriers in Ireland offer it! I bought from carphone warehouse in UK unsubsidised (android developer, company expense etc etc).

OP, take iphone off your list for the love of god. Apple is just pure marketing and has no substance. It doesn't even win on the style front, Nexus S is thinner and sexier. As an added bonus it's cheaper and has more functionality, what more does it take to convince people!?! I bet if they doubled the price of nexus S all the apple fans would flock to it :D

srsly78 wrote: »
    DAMN YOU eu regulations!

hearing aid technology has improved so much :D damn you EU!

The max volume on stock roms these days is PATHETIC. I didn't spent all that money on extra-bass sennheisers to plug into this >.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭s3129

nellymon wrote: »
    i turned off the notification on the iphone but that wasen the problem, the persons name stil comes up who sent you the message.. that causes its own problem if you no wat i mean.. so i left it in the drawer and bought a nokia e52. but its nite mare for tryin to do anything on the internet.. which the smartphones are great at. so does any off the smartphones just show a message icon when you recieve a message and not their name..

maybe stop texting people you shouldn't be and stop complaining that you have an iphone.

jesus.

iphone in being terrible shocker or iphone user in being terrible shocker?
    confus.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I have an iphone 4 and i love it.

I also have a sony ericsson xperia for work, everytime I have to send a text i feel like smashing it up. The maps feature is a joke and clunky. The phone has a habbit of switching itself off and on occasionally. The browser is rubbish. I f**kin hate that phone. The only thing it is good for is actually being on the phone and tbh its only alright at doin that. I have owned some terrible phones in my time but this thing really beats all of them.
    I end up using my iphone for all my navigation, e-mailing map locations, texting and emailing.

• Advertisement

Yup xperia is pretty terrible, even iphone is better. You should try a good phone sometime btw.

Advertisement