Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doggy vaccination checklist

• 15-02-2011 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi guys and gals,
    just doing some homework and thought Id ask a few questions to my fellow boardsies, Iv been lurking here for ages doing my canine research and I'v decided to finally take the plunge!

Iv always kept animals but have never been the one to have to organise the innoculations etc. I havn't really been able to find a complete checklist of what my newest family member will need, at what age and how much they will set me back.

Im hopefully taking in a dog that was found straying around Christmas time, she has been to the vet's but I am yet to find out how old she is and what she is up to date with! (from photos she looks to be about 9 months)

If anyone could shed some light Id greatly appreciate it!
    Want to make sure she is well looked after from the start! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Dogs need 2 primary vaccinations (usually a 5 in 1, 7 in 1 or an 8 in 1 - it depends on what the vet uses), given 2 - 4 weeks apart. Getting dogs kennel cough vaccinated is also a good idea. esp. if they are going to be in contact with other dogs or in kennels. One year after the primary vaccinations, your dog will need a booster (and another KC vaccination if you got it in the first place).

This is where it gets tricky - some diseases covered in the vaccinations only need to be done every 3 years (but a yearly check up is a must and yearly titures to make sure your dog is still immune to these diseases is also a good idea) while others need to be done every year (Lepto comes to mind). Some people prefer to get the booster every year, cover the dog against everything and that's that. Kennels also require that you have a yearly booster and KC. Others prefer to go the titure route (if they do choose to tincture) and only vaccinate against the illnesses that need to be done every year and then do the others every 3 years, this is due to the concern of "over vaccinating" (if you Google this, you'll get lots of info for and against the subject). Which ever route you go is up to you.

If you are planning on leaving the country with your dog, you will need to sort out further vaccinations, in addition to the standard ones, have proof of these and all your pets details on a pet passport. You will also need to get titures done 6 months before you intend on bringing you pet back into Ireland. You can sort all of this out with your vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

Thanks lorebringer!
    Just wanted to know where i stood before venturing to the vets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

the KC vaccine doesn't cover them against all the strains of KC - if your dog goes into kennels it can still get KC but normally its never as bad as it would have been with out it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Excellent info from lorebringer. Just one thing though, if you are taking the dog to and from the UK, you don't need any extra vaccinations or paperwork.

Advertisement