Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wise to base LC points on JC?

• 16-02-2011 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭resistantdoor

Hey guys, I'm trying to work out how many points I could get in the LC. Is it wise to base my leaving cert points on what I got in the Junior Cert? I got:

Science, Business, History: A
    Maths, French, Geography, Metalwork, CSPE: B
    Irish, English: C
    All higher level

I'm doing the following for the leaving:
    Business, accounting, chemistry, French, LCVP, Irish, English, Maths.

I'm very good at business, accounting, and chemistry and would be aiming for an A1 in these.
    My English teacher is very good and I would be hoping for a B2 in this (if I do really well)
    Irish and French teachers are sh** so I would be happy with an honour in these.
    I am OK at maths and would be hoping for a B3 or B2.
    All at higher level.

I realise that I have gone off on a tangent here, but is it wise to think that just because I done well in the JC I can do well in the LC?

Also, one more thing. I have finance in UCC down as my number one on my CAO and I was wondering does anyone have any idea whether or not there could be a big jump in the points this year? The points have slowly been going down over the last few years and are currently at 435 I think.
    I'm just worried the points will have a big jump this year (I'm very pessimistic!). Do you think 470 would be enough? (I'm aiming for 500+)
    Thanks guys!

Comments

Hey guys, I'm trying to work out how many points I could get in the LC. Is it wise to base my leaving cert points on what I got in the Junior Cert?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AgathaK

I don't think it would be too wise to base LC on JC... Even if you think of the curriculums... They are very different!

Not only are they very different exams, with very different circumstances, expectations and pressures, but you're a different person than you were 3 years ago. Your brain doesn't work exactly the same way now as it did during the JC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hey guys, I'm trying to work out how many points I could get in the LC. Is it wise to base my leaving cert points on what I got in the Junior Cert?
    No is the short answer.

But good results in JC suggests you have the *potential* to get good results in LC ... IF you put in the work!

It's really up to you ...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

Short answer .. no.

Example : My JC/LC grades

Irish HL C/B1 (OL for LC)
    English HL C/A2
    Maths HL B/C1
    Geography B/B2
    Science HL C/B1 (Chemistry B1 /Biology B1)
    French HL B/A1
    Business HL C/A2
    History HL B (Had to drop it in LC as I failed most of the tests)

Looking at them now, they some seem to be the same but the difference between standard and unpredictability of the exams makes it almost impossible to compare the two. Also, everyone seems to study a little more for the LC. Sometimes not even the mocks are a good indicator for points..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I don't think it would be a good idea. The exams are very different, both in content and marking scheme. Just work are hard as you can in your subjects now and in your mocks and forget about Junior Cert.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The point of the Junior Cert. is to maximise success for the candidates. Papers are set and marking schemes are drawn up with this is mind. The Leaving Cert. is very different. I wouldn't base LC results on the JC.

What you have to remember is there are many subjects at Junior Cert. level where over half the candidates sitting the exam get an A or B in HL - this is not the case at Leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

No. Do not under any circumstances fall into the trap of 'I did great at JC, so I'll do well at LC and won't work as hard'. The Junior Cert is a world away from the Leaving cert. Just remember that higher level junior cert is basically ordinary level leaving cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Bad idea. The JC is nothing compared to the LC in terms of difficulty and expectations.

As a general rule taking LC Irish as an example

JC - A
    5th Year - C/D
    6th Year - B/A or C depending on aptitude and ability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hey guys, I'm trying to work out how many points I could get in the LC. Is it wise to base my leaving cert points on what I got in the Junior Cert? I got:

Science, Business, History: A
    Maths, French, Geography, Metalwork, CSPE: B
    Irish, English: C
    All higher level

I'm doing the following for the leaving:
    Business, accounting, chemistry, French, LCVP, Irish, English, Maths.

I'm very good at business, accounting, and chemistry and would be aiming for an A1 in these.
    My English teacher is very good and I would be hoping for a B2 in this (if I do really well)
    Irish and French teachers are sh** so I would be happy with an honour in these.
    I am OK at maths and would be hoping for a B3 or B2.
    All at higher level.

I realise that I have gone off on a tangent here, but is it wise to think that just because I done well in the JC I can do well in the LC?

Also, one more thing. I have finance in UCC down as my number one on my CAO and I was wondering does anyone have any idea whether or not there could be a big jump in the points this year? The points have slowly been going down over the last few years and are currently at 435 I think.
    I'm just worried the points will have a big jump this year (I'm very pessimistic!). Do you think 470 would be enough? (I'm aiming for 500+)
    Thanks guys!
    Absolutley not to be totally honest. One of my best friends got 7A's and 5 B's in her JC (all higher) She's getting around C1's now in all her class tests..

Taking myself for example got a good enough JC (5 A's, 7B's) took Biology and Physics at the start of the year and could not pass them in any test.. (After I recieved an A in HL Science).. So I changed to Business and Geography (got B's in both JC) and have so far never achieved less than an A1 in any exam/exam question etc.

The slate is well and truly wiped clean when you enter 5th year, it depends on how much efoort you put into it and the consistency of your study habits!

P.S: Don't let the prospect of LC scare you, it really isn't half as hard as people think once you keep up to date in your work Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Surely at this stage in 6th year you have a good grasp of where you're at in terms of each subject? Most people in my year can't remember what they even got in the JC, never mind basing their upcoming LC on it. Why would you even be thinking about these results when you must have had summer/christmas tests from which to gauge your capabilities?

It comes down to your aptitude, which seems good judging from your JC results, and your work ethic, which I'm assuming is much better than it was in the JC. At least it is for me. From this, you should be able to assume that you have the POTENTIAL to do well, but know that anything can happen on the day and a given exam(s) might not go your way, leaving you with less than your desired points. However, considering you're aiming for 500+ points, I could not envision your tests going so disastrously bad that you don't get finance, which btw I can't see jumping past 470 in any case.

My advice, forget about the JC, it truly doesn't matter. Focus on your mocks and doing your best in the LC. Good luck!

Advertisement