Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti alergy dog shampoo/spray

• 16-02-2011 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

I think I'm allergic to our dog, and while constant vacuuming and cleaning etc seems to help, I'd like to get some shampoo or spray to help remove dander. Does anyone know of a good place to get something like that either online or in a shop? Most of the places seem to be american sites that don't ship here. Just wondering if anyone has bought something like this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I don't know about shampoo to decrease the dander, but washing the dog regularly should help.

How long have you had the dog?
    And when did the allergy start?
    Are you sure its the dog thats the problem?

Sorry for the questions but I had a bad reaction to something a while back and it turned out to something completely different to what I thought it was.

Have you tried Zooplus, mollys.ie, petshoponline.ie, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Yeah have tried the usual sites but seems to be hard to find. Found one on a uk site that charge £15 delivery! We've only had the dog a week. I've had allergies before and always thought it was just cats but I seem to sometimes get a bit wheazy with our dog. I didn't have any alergic reactions in our house before we had him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Well done on trying to find a solution as opposed to getting rid of your new dog!

What you are allergic to is dander and protein in the dogs saliva (some people are affected by one or the other, but often both). Brushing the dog with a stiff bristled brush is a must to get rid of all the dead skin cells (and other debris in the dogs coat that can become airborne).

Secondly, if your dog is a long hair breed, a good groom will work wonders. I'm not talking about scalping your dog but getting the bulk of the hair off will make quite a big difference (and coming up to the Summer, your dog will be more comfortable). Combining this with brushing should help eliminate quite a bit of air borne allergens.

Vacuuming is so important, esp around where the dog sleeps and spends most of its time. A good filter on the vacuum is also important to prevent any crap getting back out into the air. Furniture, bedding, carpets and anything else that dirt and dander can get into would need a good going over with a vacuum pretty often. Dusting is a very good way to get rid of particles hanging around - use the old "Kim and Aggie" tip and use a wet cloth to dust so that it is gathered and does not fly back up into the air.

Bedding should be changed very frequently, minimum weekly, and finding a bedding material that does not cling onto hair but is easy to wash would be a good idea. Leads, collars etc. need to be wiped over with a wet cloth frequently (the amount of stuff that gets caught in them, and then gets back out then they are in use is amazing) and leather may be a better option than a fabric (mainly nylon).

Lastly, wet cleaning (mopping etc.) around where the dog spends time and eats will clear the area of anything that dry cleaning will have missed. Washing eating and drinking bowls frequently, and rinsing really well, is also a good idea.

I know it all sounds like a lot but it all becomes part of your routine, and if anything works it's well worth the effort! I have heard that FURminator shampoo is good with shedding and dander allergies, but I haven't used it myself. Might be worth a try though - quite a few groomers stock it and it can also be bought online. There are a lot of variates so there may be one that you could use.

Good luck!

Thanks very much lorebringer I will try out all you said. I certainly won't be getting rid of my pet, it's my problem not his! FURminator have a deshedding brush that looks good and will give the shampoo a go too. I have an anti-alergy dyson and have been using that every other night, but need to start mopping regularly too!

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I get allergic to our guy's dander. I find furminator shampoo and conditioner brilliant for loosening the hair. Once he's dry I attack him with the furminator tool and an undercoat rake (he's a retriever). Furminator also do a waterless shampoo & conditioner in one so you spray it on, rub/brush it thru the coat and then towel dry without having to rinse it off - I used it at the weekend and LOADS of hair came out. Also with the spray you don't have a drowned bathroom, loads of soaking wet towels and the post bath frenzy - our guy goes mental after he's had a bath lol! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My friends mum is allergic to their Jack Russell, they wash the bedding every few days, keep fleece blankets covering any furniture he may get on (minute they go out he's up on the sofa and armchairs) and wash them often too.

She says the furminator made a big difference, and washing the dog every 3 or 4 weeks too.

It has gotten better over the last couple of years, they've had the dog about 2 1/2 years.

Best of luck, hope you find something that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Stella2010

My beagle x jack russell suffers with dander / dandruff.
    I find coal tar shampoo works really well. I've literally thrown the last bottle out so can't give you the name but I got it in a pet store so not hard to come by.
    Seems to get rid of all the scurf and gives her a great shine.
    I have to hoover x 2 a day too !
    The Moult Master is ab brillo for weeding out the dead hair but go easy on it as it can flare up the dander - works great though on my other terrier.
    It's 38 euro but well worth it.
    Also add some fish to their dinner , sardines or a teeny bit of seven seas for dogs cod liver oil. Just prevents the coat drying out.

I ordered a furminator deshedder and the shampoo, so hopefully that will help. I seem to be getting a lot of scratches on my hands over the last few days and they go red in areas. He doesn't usually bite me or anything so not sure if it's a weird allergic reaction or if it's the fact that I'm washing my hands a lot more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I'm sure you've thought of all this but:

You've only had him for one week, did he come with any bedding? Maybe thats been washed in something that you're allergic to. Have you washed him since he arrived, as again, maybe he was washed or treated with something before he came to you that you're allergic to.

He didn't come with bedding and we washed him a couple of hours of bringing him home. I'll try get into the habbit of washing him every couple of weeks, and his bedding/blankets every week I'd say

• Advertisement
Advertisement