Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often to change water if not using a filter?

Options
  • 16-02-2011 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi,
    I havnt kept fish since I was a child but recently I aquired a small tank free (it was unused) and decided to get some fish again, and have rediscovered my love for them! Unfortunately I am flat broke at the moment and unable to afford any equiptment, I am hoping to get a small filter soon (and a bigger tank eventually) but it will be a few weeks at least. From what I have been reading it seems to be very important to have a filter, but what can I do in terms of water changes to keep the fish healthy in the interim? I am conscious of not changing the water too much as I know thats not good either.

I have two small minnows and a live plant in the 10L tank, its been two weeks now and them seem healthy, having perked up alot when I put the plant in.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

even with a filter it should be 10% a week.

I'd say maybe 30% or so once a week, or smaller amount more often.

The bacteria will still grow on other surfaces without the filter, but will grow as fast or abundant, especially with no water movement caused.
    A 2L washed plastic milk jug is a handy piece of kit for water changes I find.

Advertisement