Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT, to go or not to go??

Options
  • 16-02-2011 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey people, I don't know if I'm in the right section here, but I'mma fire ahead..
    I like the sound of DIT, and the course I'd be interested in doing would be Film and Broadcasting with a language (French)..
    Anyone doing this course, any kind of insight would be much appreciated!
    What's the workload/hours/usual timetable like? And also, if I don't know anyone else going there, what's the story then if you want to go into a private flat? Will there be other first year DIT students who would be sharing that I can find or...?
    And career prospects- Apart from the obvious TV and Film, what other potential jobs could come from this? (depending on work experience)

In general, what is DIT like, as colleges go? There are a lot of old threads on here that seem to be just complaining about it... Is it really all that bad? And clubs/societies: as good as they seem?

Sorry for the essay, if anyone knows anything about DIT I'd love to hear about it :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Hey :)

I'm in third year of the old version of that course. It's excellent. The hours are not strenuous in comparison to other modules and by enlarge the modules are enlightening and enjoyable. Career prospects are broad. Anywhere in filmmaking (Camera Op, Editing, Producer, Director, Scriptwriter etc) to Radio broadcasting/producing, feature making etc.

Accomodation is entirely up to you. DIT do have buildings but you don't have to and probably shouldn't avail of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mbcf

Yeah, I've not heard great things about their accommodation..
    Is there any aspect of sound engineering? Or music production and syncing, that kinda thing?
    Thanks V! I've heard all good so far in all my research! :D

Mbcf wrote: »
    Yeah, I've not heard great things about their accommodation..
    Is there any aspect of sound engineering? Or music production and syncing, that kinda thing?
    Thanks V! I've heard all good so far in all my research! :D
    Well for the audio/radio side of things, we're all pretty apt at Pro-Tools now. It's more so about recording interviews, using the radio studio as opposed to recording artists.

If you have any queries you could always call up to the School of Media on the Aungier St. 4th floor building. If you make an appointment with Stella Downey, she can organize for one of us lovely class reps to take you on a tour :D

Voltwad wrote: »
    Well for the audio/radio side of things, we're all pretty apt at Pro-Tools now. It's more so about recording interviews, using the radio studio as opposed to recording artists.

If you have any queries you could always call up to the School of Media on the Aungier St. 4th floor building. If you make an appointment with Stella Downey, she can organize for one of us lovely class reps to take you on a tour :D

I've heard that a lot of the music production stuff (jobwise) is very dependant on your work experience and interest and stuff too, as opposed to college, so I suppose it's a matter of what you make of it really! Ok I have one more question, is the course very practical, bit of both, or more theoretical?
    And ooh sounds good! I'll make arrangements for next time I'm in Dublin!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Not go. Some very decent Lecturers though. Few horrid ones to boot.

• Advertisement

Naikon wrote: »
    Not go. Some very decent Lecturers though. Few horrid ones to boot.

What course are you in Naikon?
    And what about DIT in general; the buzz, the societies and all that stuff? Yay or nay?

Mbcf wrote: »
    What course are you in Naikon?
    And what about DIT in general; the buzz, the societies and all that stuff? Yay or nay?
    Socs office are brilliant, so accommodating. An idea + 15 signatures and they'll pretty much help you with anything. I find the buzz excellent, our own bar would help immeasurably but that's nitpicking.

Some people love DIT, some people hate it. Come see for yourself is the best advice I can give you.

Voltwad wrote: »
    Socs office are brilliant, so accommodating. An idea + 15 signatures and they'll pretty much help you with anything. I find the buzz excellent, our own bar would help immeasurably but that's nitpicking.

Some people love DIT, some people hate it. Come see for yourself is the best advice I can give you.

Thanks again Voltwad! It seems really good I must say, besides the few begrudgers, but you find them everywhere :P
    I'll defo be up at some stage in March! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ShamrockGirl

I'm in my second year in DIT, alsolutely love it!! All I'll say is, like every other college in Ireland u'll get the best experience out if what you put into it.

If you want to met lots if great people, you'll join societies and clubs
    If you want to get a good job after, you'll put effort into college work
    And if you want to be social, you'll Go to DIT events or on class nites out or organise nites yourself!
    If you want to improve your CV you'll become involved in the students union through class rep, governing council, events team and more, what a great group of people that will make college life complete!!

And well if you decide to do none of the above you wil cum on boards and complain about DIT, simple as!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Yeah there's a good few people complaining about DIT on boards...but afterall i'm still putting DIT as my first choice on cao as there's a few courses that other it's universities dont have

• Advertisement

I'm in my second year in DIT, alsolutely love it!! All I'll say is, like every other college in Ireland u'll get the best experience out if what you put into it.

If you want to met lots if great people, you'll join societies and clubs
    If you want to get a good job after, you'll put effort into college work
    And if you want to be social, you'll Go to DIT events or on class nites out or organise nites yourself!
    If you want to improve your CV you'll become involved in the students union through class rep, governing council, events team and more, what a great group of people that will make college life complete!!

And well if you decide to do none of the above you wil cum on boards and complain about DIT, simple as!!!

:D

Well put Shamrock! :D

Advertisement