Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guidance needed for a sky eye job

• 16-02-2011 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Trying to do your bog standard magic eye in 2nd room installation.
    Have powered on rf2 and saved it.
    Have tested continuity of cable from back of sky box to coaxial wall plate and for coaxial cable in upstairs bedroom.
    Have swopped out coax wall plate in bedroom for non isolated version.
    Havent swopped out coax plate behind sky box yet.

Sky eye led lights up when i place it directly on rf2 port so i know signal is leaving the box but not sure where it goes when it enters the coaxial network in my house.

Any thoughts on what im missing, im sure it is a straight forward task?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Really its needs a direct cable unless you are using a sky compatible amplifier and your wall plates may not be passing the voltage through.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ronald reagan

Should i be looking at getting a coax cable tester to check if the cable is joined up or straight for the amplifier next?

Can you recommend an amplifier also

Should i be looking at getting a coax cable tester to check if the cable is joined up or straight for the amplifier next?

Can you recommend an amplifier also

Not sure tester would help as all the outputs might show contunuity to each other if there is a split somewhere. Might be better to physicially take a look at the cable run, if theres a spliter is should be visible somewhere. A good amp is the global F140 powered from the sky box

without sounding like a moron, how do i check the cable if its behind walls etc.
    im goining to check the attic now. is that where a splitter would normally be put?

" if theres a spliter is should be visible somewhere."

Its unlikely that someone would put a splitter in a wall (although you never know with some electricians)

without sounding like a moron, how do i check the cable if its behind walls etc.
    im goining to check the attic now. is that where a splitter would normally be put?

• Advertisement

am up in my attic now. i have 5 coaxial cables coming up the front of the inside of the attic and 2 coax on the rear of tthe attic (regular Aerial side)
    no evidence of any splitter or joiner to be seen.

would i be right in saying that an amp would A connect 4 cables together and B Boost signal?

You connect the cable from the RF2 output of the sky box to the amp and then the other cables connect to the outputs of the amp, but without seeing exactly how your cables are conected its impossible to say 100 % how it would apply exactly in your situation.

thanks for your input so far Tony, im genuinely lost otherwise.
    i appreciate you are shooting in the dark as you cant physically see the cabling layout in anyones house.

if i can ask this question though.
    from my read it looks like there is a separate cable coming from each of the rooms, they all terminate in the attic and none of them are joined to each other.

if i identified the cable which ran from my living room where the digibox is and connected it to the f140 in the attic would that send the signal to the other rooms.

if i identified the cable which ran from my living room where the digibox is and connected it to the f140 in the attic would that send the signal to the other rooms.

Yes it should do providing your wallplate does not block the voltage. If you connect an aerial to the RF in on the sky box that signal will also carry to the other rooms.

Hope this helps

i have the non isolated wall plates on the couch next to me. if i cant find the distribution amp in town tomorrow ill be on to the website for it tomorrow night.

do ye sell the coaxial cable testers btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I would suggest bypassing all wallplates, simply remove the screws holding the plate on and push the cable through the hole joining or extending the cable with F connections and a barrel connector.

If you have the correct cables connected you should be able to tune in the sky channel to your secondary tv. If you cannot find a picture then you know you are not using the rite cables. You can also use a voltmeter on a cable to help identify it but its a rather tedious method...

many thanks to all for their input especialy tony. sucessful installation done in about 20 mins with the right cables identified.
    @ steveon I did bypass wall plates today but i think i will reintegrate them when i get enough of the non isolated ones.

On another note i could not believe how expensive the f connectors were in the bricks and mortar shops. the most expensive was 3.50 for one in harvey norman.

highly recommend Tonv and Satellite ie for price and customer service.

@Mods not intended to be read as shilling just feedback on an irish business by a satisfied customer

Advertisement