Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

telephone wiring

• 16-02-2011 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

hey
    i live at home still and my dad has done the wiring for the phones at home. a few years ago when we had dialup he installed a phone jack in my room but he had a way of disconnecting it.. he has this phone jack in his room that controls the phone connections all over the house.. mine is currently disconnected and has been for quite a while. he seems to have a phone wires running down from the attic and has the ability to cut out all other phone jacks in the house.. this is a problem for me as i am currently 21 years old and he still wont let me get a new phone line or wont trust me by keeping the phone jack in my room active (moody old man he is haha). i am just wondering if it is possible at all to rewire this without him ever finding out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

sounds like your dad is switched on and if your living under his roof then its his rules so I wouldn't bother explaining how to disobey him by rewiring the telephones, plus its not that simple if you don't know what your doing you can easily knock the whole telephone system out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

In short - No. Plus the morality of it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

have you no mobile phone ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Id say someone in the house was running up massive bills by calling alot of numbers,possibly "premium rate" numbers??:pac:

So your dad has cut all phone lines and extensions around the house to prevent this.

Fair play to him so,seen as hes the bill payer.;)

His house and his rules,if you dont like them,then move out and get your own place.

Simples.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Morals aside....
    Its a matter of finding the the switch & shorting it out.
    For every line that's switched there is going to be 2 cables connected to 2 separate terminals . Simply a matter of joining them together.
    Don't let your da catch ya. Or worse still the moral police , they spy in here ya know...;)

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Or worse still the moral police , they spy in here ya know...;)

Moral police??

Sure you are just as bad,as anyone else

So get off your high horse there mate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

was posted in a light hearted manner.:confused: Whats the aggression about?
    Look like someone else needs to calm down & get off their horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Eh, Eh.... Can everyone just Calm Down Eh?????

fellaini_copy.jpg

was posted in a light hearted manner.:confused: Whats the aggression about?
    Look like someone else needs to calm down & get off their horse.

No aggression here......merely just replying to comment/post and saying that you aint no better than anyone else here.

You are just as bad and good as all of us.:pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Eh, Eh.... Can everyone just Calm Down Eh?????

fellaini_copy.jpg
    I think this sums up the best approach folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

Video wrote: »
    hey
    i live at home still and my dad has done the wiring for the phones at home. a few years ago when we had dialup he installed a phone jack in my room but he had a way of disconnecting it.. he has this phone jack in his room that controls the phone connections all over the house.. mine is currently disconnected and has been for quite a while. he seems to have a phone wires running down from the attic and has the ability to cut out all other phone jacks in the house.. this is a problem for me as i am currently 21 years old and he still wont let me get a new phone line or wont trust me by keeping the phone jack in my room active (moody old man he is haha). i am just wondering if it is possible at all to rewire this without him ever finding out?

If the main phone line is in the attic you could simply run a cable off this into your room.
    If you dont have a meter but have a phone and a socket just connect a cable from the L1 L2 on the back of the socket and connect it to any line you can find in the attic. It should be on a pair. If you get a dial tone this is what you want to connect a cable to going to your room. Hopefully you wont get caught :D

Thats a handier solution Altor, what was I thinking mucking around with those switches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thats a handier solution Altor, what was I thinking mucking around with those switches.

:D

Advertisement