Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just moved to clontarf

Options
  • 16-02-2011 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

hey all

i am 25 year old male just moved to clontarf
    moved to dub for work, know only work people
    in dublin!

whats there to do in clontarf?
    where could i meet people?

dont think i am the type to join a club!

thanks all

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

Joe Duffy lives in clontarf.
    Talk to Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭baldbear

Join Westwood Gym and get chatting to a few people or take a walk down to St. Annes park with a bag of cans.:D

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. Moved up to Raheny and knew no one. But after the first time going for a few drinks with the work crew things were more interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Without clubs you're kinda knackered, all you are really left with is the pubs, so you've got;

The Yacht - Fairview End - Good crowd at the weekend

Connelly's (The Sheds) - Seafront at the Village - Small Pub, Great Guinness

Harry Byrnes - Howth Road - Nice pub

Clontarf has a lot of rentals so you are fairly sure to find people in the same boat as yourself in The Yacht and Harry Byrnes, I think the Sheds is more of a local.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

You don't have to join a club as soon as you walk in the door. Try dropping down to the GAA club on Belgrove road, the Rugby/Cricket club on Castle Ave or the yacht club on the coast road. Most of them are drinking clubs with sports on the side. You're unlikely to meet many people just from being in a pub by yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Clontarf is big, so kinda depends where you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Tolka Park isn't too far from you most likely, League of Ireland season starts back on the 4th March.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

J K wrote: »
    Joe Duffy lives in clontarf.
    Talk to Joe.

Does he..?as they say you learn something new everyday.

OP,you will have to fill us in on what you like to do one persons way of making friends could scare other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Pigeon Reaper has it. Join the cricket club and you might get a job as a steward at the Ireland V England one-day international on 25th August! Who knows you might even be good at the game but, even if not, net practice and the few jars after are great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Mongarra wrote: »
    Join the cricket club

I never knew Ireland had a cricket team, considering the amount of rain we get :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

The new Wright and Gilbert or whatever it's called pub at the Hollybrook Road seems pretty cool, was there the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Tolka Park isn't too far from you most likely, League of Ireland season starts back on the 4th March.

I wholeheartedly agree with the above poster. If you go to away games you will meet loads of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 timoffski

Pauleta wrote: »
    I wholeheartedly agree with the above poster. If you go to away games you will meet loads of people.
    Thing is they wont be Shells fans:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

You could check out and see if the Clontarf Cowboy , Philip Donnelly is in town playing any local gigs

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/20179

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

I never knew Ireland had a cricket team, considering the amount of rain we get :D

Not only does Ireland have a cricket team, but we are in the World Cup playing our first game on 25th February. (Now why is that date in my mind for something else?!)

There are clubs around many counties on the island and, while OP said he was not a 'join a club' person, I am sure the atmosphere and general craic would be good. Also, the ground is shared with Clontarf Rugby Club so you have summer and winter covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I think the most recent batch of classes has already started but you could look into doing some sort of evening course, next time round, in Marino (only up the road from Clontarf). Good for meeting people, can mean going for local pints after classes etc.

http://www.marinocollege.ie/further_education/info.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Forget about making friends,get yourself down immediately to thunders and order a thunders special :D

Advertisement