Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to Rent Allowance

Options
  • 16-02-2011 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for some advice since my local social welfare office actually won't answer a few simple questions to help me out!

I'm a mature student who recieves the BTEA , a full student grant( I budget the money over 12 months not just term time) and I'm unemployed :( (not for lack of trying)

It works out as E301pw/1200pm which is nothing to be sniffed at. My rent and bills come to 420, food 200, college materials 60ish, travel 60, loans 200-thats around 950per month which leaves me with 60ish per week for unexpected 'luxury' things.

My landlord is registered and I share accomodation.

Am I entitled to recieve Rent Allowance?

Thank you.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

i've a feeling there may be the odd derail post in this thread, for as long as it lasts.
    anyway, under new rules you're not allowed to get BTEA and the full grant.

by full do you mean you are getting a maintenance allowance?

ETA have to go to bed..

a/ if you were on BTEA from last year then you are entitled to full grant.

technically you should be entitled to rent allowance, prob 40 a week or so. best to ask a CWO -citizen advice have info (online and otherwise), but bare in mind it's all gone a bit wobbly

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

ArtSmart wrote: »
    i've a feeling there may be the odd derail post in this thread, for as long as it lasts.

What do you mean 'derail post'? Am I supposed to feel bad about getting a grant to go to college to better myself? Am I supposed to feel bad that I am now determined to recieve any and ALL assistance available to me because I have worked hard and paid tax since the age of 16 to wake up in my late 20s in a dire situation due to the [EMAIL="fu@kwit"]fu@kwit[/EMAIL] politicians that destroyed my country?
    Student maintenance grant. Applyed before the new rule came in-will continue to reecieve both.

ArtSmart wrote: »

ETA have to go to bed..

a/ if you were on BTEA from last year then you are entitled to full grant.

technically you should be entitled to rent allowance, prob 40 a week or so. best to ask a CWO -citizen advice have info (online and otherwise), but bare in mind it's all gone a bit wobbly

Why are you informing me of benefits that I'm clearly already aware of considering I am recieving them? I asked about RENT allowance. I'm aware its gone a bit wobbly-I am in fact an Irish citizen :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You may be entitled to something. You will need to talk to the Community Welfare Officer, usually based in the local health centre.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/LHO/

thank Victor

• Advertisement
Advertisement