Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile POS tools or package.

Options
  • 16-02-2011 4:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on choosing a mobile pos device. I will be delivering products to customers who i would like to be able to pay by cash or card at their door.

I would like a device that is connected to my inventory so when i scan the product and put through a sale it automatically deducts the product from my stock. Id like the device to have bluetooth to link to a mobile printer for issuing receipts. I cant seem to find a product that will accept credit cards aswell. I was looking at emobilepos which uses an iphone and the scanner adapter to scan stock and put through sales. Has anyone ever used this? Or maybe could suggest an alternative.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bluetech

If you still need some help with this then I can help.

Mobile credit card is easy but if you are looking for an intelligent mobile ePOS with stock control and credit card then there are only a few providers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I know there's an iphone device (plugs into the port at the bottom) to swipe credit cards & take payments, I'd imagine that it's quite easy to have the software adjust a database of stock.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

WorldnetTPS have an APP for remote terminal cards so thats the cheapest / no cost option.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

For some reason i didnt get email alerts for this thread. Thanks for the replies so far. Cost isnt a big issue im more concerned about security and invoking customer comfort. Id be willing to spend money on the right package but am yet to find something that ticks the boxes.

So far a front runner is global bay mobile but to be honest im not 100% on what im actually looking at. On youtube they have lots of videos putting through sales and adjusts inventory ect ect. But for me the confusion is how i would actually get something like this operational.

For example, ill be operating mainly from my car while will have my laptop and mobile broadband inside. If i was to deliver to a customers door and scan the product then take a payment, lets say credit card. What would i have to have in order to take such payments?

Is there any places in Dublin who specialize in this that maybe i could chat to just to clear up my confusion

steve_ wrote: »
    For some reason i didnt get email alerts for this thread. Thanks for the replies so far. Cost isnt a big issue im more concerned about security and invoking customer comfort. Id be willing to spend money on the right package but am yet to find something that ticks the boxes.

So far a front runner is global bay mobile but to be honest im not 100% on what im actually looking at. On youtube they have lots of videos putting through sales and adjusts inventory ect ect. But for me the confusion is how i would actually get something like this operational.

For example, ill be operating mainly from my car while will have my laptop and mobile broadband inside. If i was to deliver to a customers door and scan the product then take a payment, lets say credit card. What would i have to have in order to take such payments?

Is there any places in Dublin who specialize in this that maybe i could chat to just to clear up my confusion

We are the only Irish developers of a retail solution that integrates an ERP system (Eirpoint™) and mobile credit card enabled handhelds. Send me a private message if you want more information.

• Advertisement

Steve

Did you find a suitable solution for your mobile Pos / mobile ePos solution? Our Eirpoint mobile retail solution would suit your needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on choosing a mobile pos device. I will be delivering products to customers who i would like to be able to pay by cash or card at their door.

I would like a device that is connected to my inventory so when i scan the product and put through a sale it automatically deducts the product from my stock. Id like the device to have bluetooth to link to a mobile printer for issuing receipts. I cant seem to find a product that will accept credit cards aswell. I was looking at emobilepos which uses an iphone and the scanner adapter to scan stock and put through sales. Has anyone ever used this? Or maybe could suggest an alternative.

If I'm out doing deliveries and someone wants to pay me at the door, I just pull up my website on the iPhone and treat it as an online transaction. I have a private area on my site where I can dynamically create an order amount on the fly and just stick in a credit card/laser card num and hit the pay button.

It's rare I'd have to as we don't dispatch until the payment is authorised as a matter of policy and I'd recommend you try to enforce that if you can, because there is nothing more annoying than doing a delivery on the verbal understanding of having a sale, only when you go to deliver your product, to be told that the product has been bought for 5 Euro less from a website in Azherbaijhan because they are happy to wait 4 weeks for it because they saved themselves 5 Euro.

But if you need to take payments by credit card or laser card out in the field, even if you have no online ecommerce solution in place, it should not be hard to get one set up and it certainly shouldn't be expensive, but you will need a merchant services account through your bank and a payment processor parner such as Realex, etc.

Give me a shout if you need a hand with this as I've done this myself, but if you do decide to try this, prob best creating a thread over in the Web Development Forum...

There are other mobile handheld devices that you can get from your bank that work with a SIM card in them, but they tend to be delicate devices I've found in the past but they might be more durable these days. I'd be going with the web based solution any day, I know one or two lads who just direct customers to their website these days when they get a call and tell the customer to visit a certain page on the website for the product they are looking for and when the payment goes through they get an e-mail telling them that a payment has been authorised so they have effectively been pre-paid for their goods or services (say in the case of a call out service).

EDIT: I see there have been a few ideas suggested on here already. I'll just say OP, IF you are in a start up situation, I'd be keeping it as simple as I possibly could. I made a mistake once in business with an accounting package, when I first started up years ago, of getting an "all singing-all dancing" accounting package, when I wasn't busy enough to need this level of functionality. Obviously this didn't come cheap and it was just one of a number of large cheques that I signed at the time, (in the incorrect understanding that I would get busy very quickly), and to make a long story short, I used too much of my seed capital on stuff that I didn't need at the time and it was game over within a year.

Keep it simple, but above all else, KEEP IT CHEAP if you are starting up, regardless of what seed capital resources you have access to!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jenn.ie

WorldNet have just launched a new product called Payjack which is designed for small businesses who need to take payments on the go.

It works by turning a smartphone into a virtual terminal.

There's a fast, fully online merchant account signup for newbies to card processing.

(I know this thread is old and you may be sorted, but for others looking for this kind of solution..)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭OU812

There's an application & dongle type device for swiping cards from the US called Square http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/03/square-ipad/.

Here's some others

http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/point-of-sale-apps

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jenn.ie

Yes, Square is doing really well in the US. Jack Dorsey, founder of Twitter, is behind it.

But Payjack is the only one available for the Irish market.

• Advertisement
Advertisement