Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic laptop budget 600-800 euro

Options
  • 16-02-2011 4:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi

Im looking a for a basic laptop from either online or from a bricks and mortor shop based in dublin.

What im looking for is something to browse the web with, watch dvd's on and to use microsoft office. Ideally a i3 processor or even a low end i5 processor. 3 GB ram. Graphics card doesent need to be that powerful-i wont be using photoshop or high end gaming. Minimum of 250 GB drive. Built in wireless card that supports both G and N channels. On top of this a battery life of at least 6 hours or more would be great.

Anyone know what im looking for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

cathpa wrote: »
    Hi

Im looking a for a basic laptop from either online or from a bricks and mortor shop based in dublin.

What im looking for is something to browse the web with, watch dvd's on and to use microsoft office. Ideally a i3 processor or even a low end i5 processor. 3 GB ram. Graphics card doesent need to be that powerful-i wont be using photoshop or high end gaming. Minimum of 250 GB drive. Built in wireless card that supports both G and N channels. On top of this a battery life of at least 6 hours or more would be great.

Harvey Norman C600 Toshiba was on sale for €450.00 two weeks ago.
    I bought one. Superb. Battery life +5 hours.
    No complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

cathpa wrote: »
    Hi

600-800 is quite a high budget, there are a lot of reasonably high end machines you can get for that price. Probably best looking around yourself and asking in the laptops thread, you should be able to get a good i5 and over 3GB of RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

You can pick up a Dell Inspiron 15 starting at €399. Not sure how good they are on battery life however.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I just ordered a Dell XPS. €800 will buy you a lot of laptop. I wrote down the features I absolutely had to have (i5 processor, 4MB RAM, min 320GB HDD (7200 rpm - thats important), bluetooth, 5hr+ batt life. I could not find anything off the shelf that gave me all that for a reasonable price, so I ended up back at Dell. Only problem is delivery time is 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_link_71217265_2?ie=UTF8&node=429886031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-banner&pf_rd_r=16QWQMH34PG57XM57MJC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=214452687&pf_rd_i=514938031

Great place to start.. read the reviews

Don't focus too much on proc speed, 95% of people can even feel the diff between a very well priced ULV dual core and a high powered quad core anyway.. its a wonder why they are even in non-gaming laptops

Batt life is the real crutch.. look for ULV processors (ultra low voltage) they can have up to 8 hours.. also 14 inch and 13.3 are much lighter and more portable

Anyway amazon good place to start
    good prices and super saver mean free delivery to ireland
    and if anything goes wrong amazon are usually so much better than anyone else at doing returns and no quibble money back etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement