Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferry Travel - car lanes in the rain

• 16-02-2011 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Howyez?

I travel a lot by ferry from here to englandand sometimes to france - I try to check in on time, but always end up sitting in the car lanes for ages, usually in the rain. I've been told I can leave my bike and go sit in the Terminal or waiting room - but this means leaving my bike - with all my gear on it- or unpacking my gear and hauling at all away with me. I think the ports should be made to provide shelter in the car lanes just for motorcyclists - nothing fancy, just somewhere to get in out of the weather, while keeping an eye on the bike and gear ... will it ever happen? does anyone else feel this is an issue?:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

sproggg wrote: »
    Howyez?

I travel a lot by ferry from here to englandand sometimes to france - I try to check in on time, but always end up sitting in the car lanes for ages, usually in the rain. I've been told I can leave my bike and go sit in the Terminal or waiting room - but this means leaving my bike - with all my gear on it- or unpacking my gear and hauling at all away with me. I think the ports should be made to provide shelter in the car lanes just for motorcyclists - nothing fancy, just somewhere to get in out of the weather, while keeping an eye on the bike and gear ... will it ever happen? does anyone else feel this is an issue?:cool:

I had this miserable experience in the waiting lane in Holyhead port coming back to Dublin, I couldn't find any shelter nearby, it was so miserable and wet that car drivers beside me offered to let me sit in their car, which was nice of them, but I had to decline as I didn't want to flood their cars with my wet gear.
    Eventually a port employee came over to me and said I could use the truck drivers lounge, it was still a bit of a distance away but I took a chance and left my luggage on the bike and used the truck drivers lounge before I got washed away, so yes a shelter for motorcyclists is badly needed at these ports or maybe they just consider us second-class citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Shocking to see that there none. I'm planning a few trips to Wales, France etc!
    Good post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

I never had any prob finding shelter and leaving the stuff on the bike with view. Anyway, if you are wet, you cannot get any wetter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I never had any prob finding shelter and leaving the stuff on the bike with view. Anyway, if you are wet, you cannot get any wetter.
    well that's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

ram mount on handlebars, long ram arm, clamp, golf umbrella. sorted.

• Advertisement

rymus wrote: »
    ram mount on handlebars, long ram arm, clamp, golf umbrella. sorted.
    That sounds deadly actually. Be handy on the beech aswell. Failing that just get one of them scooters with the roof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

ram mount on handlebars, long ram arm, clamp, golf umbrella. bike on side. umbrella inside out. sideways rain getting in the gap between your lid & your neck.

There I fixed it for ya :D

carsQhere wrote: »
    There I fixed it for ya :D

That's fair enough but as someone already said. Your not gonna get any wetter. Should bikers get tunnels to travel from a to b in since them Cheeky people that built roads never thought about us second class citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

sproggg wrote: »
    Howyez?

I travel a lot by ferry from here to englandand sometimes to france - I try to check in on time, but always end up sitting in the car lanes for ages, usually in the rain. I've been told I can leave my bike and go sit in the Terminal or waiting room - but this means leaving my bike - with all my gear on it- or unpacking my gear and hauling at all away with me. :cool:

vektarman wrote: »
    Eventually a port employee came over to me and said I could use the truck drivers lounge, it was still a bit of a distance away but I took a chance and left my luggage on the bike and used the truck drivers lounge before I got washed away.

As above I go to the top of the lane and ask the guy if I can drive over with the bike to the truck lounge. Never been refused yet and when traffic starts moving again get yer man's attention and he'll usually wave you on if you look like you know what you're doing.
    TIP to anyone travelling on ferry by bike pack a couple of good light weight ratchet straps in one of yer outer luggage pockets. In the off season there's bugger all straps and in summer the Germans rob em all :D

Don't blame the weather because you don't have the proper clothes on and when yer wet make a note to get some new gear. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭rameire

came through pembrook on sunday morning just gone.
    there was a biker in the queue, and it was lashing.
    would have given him a seat but the car was jam packed.
    he didnt stay on the bike, i think he was close by, leaning against a building.
    i think they could have at least opened the customs shed for him.
    they definately need something, even a bus shelter would be brilliant.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

In Cherbourg (or was it Caen?) they have a lean-to, simple but effective, for the cycles and motorcycles

I suggest you let them know what you want:

- tell the ferry company know that you'd like some provision made for motorbikers and cyclists. Email them or tell them at check-in.

- Tell them (politely) you're going to park "over there under the shelter. I'll rejoin the queue when embarqation(sp?) begins".

- Generally, I think the bike would be safe to leave for a while; especially at the head of the queue near some port officials. Not that I'd leave anything valuable in the tankbag though!

I've emailed a couple of ferry companies in the past regarding motorcycles and was pleased to get helpful responses. In one case a subsequent discount offer included motorcycles not just cars. I like to think I helped in a small way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Swansea used to have a little bus shelter thingy next to the toilets. Unfortunately nothing like thas on our side of the pond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 tpedoussaut

When LD Lines used the sail from Le Havre to Rosslare, I used them once. In LeHavre there is a nice section for waiting with a roof (but no sides). Very handy, and benches as well.

Advertisement