Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats

• 16-02-2011 9:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

I am starting a new seedbed soon (raised) for hardy annuals and perennials. Half-hardy plants will go in later. I can see it being a nightmare keeping cats off it and destroying the seedlings. Does anyone have a tried and trusted way of protecting seedbeds from cats? No shotgun jokes please, they are MY cats :-)

btw - it will be about 1 foot high, over an existing ground-level bed. I will be filling it with new bought topsoil. I'm wondering if I should lay down weed fabric at the base before I fill in to stop existing weed seeds coming up. I will probably be transplanting a couple of shrubs into it too (red robin and small conifers). Would the plants have enough depth for roots in 1 foot? Would the fabric affect drainage? Thanks for any advise!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

redser7 wrote: »
    I am starting a new seedbed soon (raised) for hardy annuals and perennials. Half-hardy plants will go in later. I can see it being a nightmare keeping cats off it and destroying the seedlings. Does anyone have a tried and trusted way of protecting seedbeds from cats? No shotgun jokes please, they are MY cats :-)

btw - it will be about 1 foot high, over an existing ground-level bed. I will be filling it with new bought topsoil. I'm wondering if I should lay down weed fabric at the base before I fill in to stop existing weed seeds coming up. I will probably be transplanting a couple of shrubs into it too (red robin and small conifers). Would the plants have enough depth for roots in 1 foot? Would the fabric affect drainage? Thanks for any advise!

Redser
    apart from installing a physical barrier, it is very difficult to keep cats out and fresh topsoil will be an obvious attraction.
    Regarding the Raised Bed, 1 foot should be OK for conifers but a bit tight for Red Robin which usually has a deep root. I wouldn't bother with a weed barrier, as 12" of soil will kill existing growth at ground level. I would roughly break/loosen the soil at ground level with a fork (before putting new topsoil on top) which will help roots from new shrubs to penetrate. You could place some dampened old newspapers on ground which will also inhibit weed and these will eventually decompose into the soil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I'll do that, thanks Sonnenblumen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Would ordinary garden centre manure keep them out.

I have a terrible problem with them also. They are not my cats so I dont care what method is used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

After reading around I've decided to use anti-bird netting. Saw a diagram of an easy to make cage. It's basically bamboo sticks with small flower pots on top of each one. Drape the netting over the stakes and bury the edges of the netting, pin them down or weigh down with stone. While not very strong I'm hopeful it will be enough of a visual deterant and stop the cats. It will certainly stop birds going after the seedlings.
    Also thinking of using clear plastic lemonade bottles cut in half as mini-greenhouses. Will help them grow and also provide more protection.
    Lidl are selling anti-bird netting from today as it happens. 10 x 2m or 5 x 4m, 2 packs for 7 euro. They come with pegs...
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110221.p.Anti_Bird_Netting_

They are also selling horticultural fleece, 10 x 2m for 5 euro. That's not on the site for some reason.

Hope it's worth the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I am having this same problem yet again the ******** of a cat next door has ripped up all my seedlings and flowers in one night and took a dump right in the middle. All my work and money in bits.

Im not worried if the method is cruel or not at this stage.

The dam thing has already been hit with small stones but fails to get the message.

Is there a weatherproof spray or electronic repealant out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,459 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I just use bird netting on bamboo sticks, not the prettiest but does the job. Once the plants get going the cats lose interest and it can be removed. I don't bother burying it - just leave it hanging down, cats are lazy and dont bother to lift it in my experience.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

That looks awsome . But last night I went ahead and bought on of these. Just waiting for it now. Dam cats.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/STV-International-STV610-MEGA-SONIC-REPELLER/dp/B000NR8Q1U/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1366046592&sr=1-1&keywords=sonic+cat+repeller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,459 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

deandean wrote: »
    Would that not squirt the postman or you if in the front garden, or just you and your family if in the back? :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

brokenarms wrote: »

After using this about a week, I have to say.. I works very well.

Plenty of cat prints around but only up till they get in range of the sonic defender.
    They are coming down for a crap in the flower bed, but get scared of with it.

Im thinking of getting the mains power lead accessory for it as I cant see the 2x 9v batteries lasting longer than 3 or 4 months.
    Comes with a 2 year warranty .
    I seems to be well built and weather proof with outer plastic and aluminum case and components.

So far I can recommend it. 16 pound delivered to Parcel Motel . Does not harm the animal so its seems to be the cure for mine field lawns and flower beds.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

This was on sale at the Ideal Home Show in the RDS last weekend.

Dont know how good or bad it is though.

Either that or go to Dublin Zoo and ask them for some large lumps of Lion Poo and spread it around where you dont want the cats to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

You can buy Lion Poo pellets online. They work very well at keeping cats out of gardens apparently. My own cats don't dig in the garden thankfully. But I've given them areas with long grass to sun bathe in and that keeps them happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

i,ve had the same problem in the past i cut a wind bush from the hedge and chop it up into little bits and leave it under the soil when they go to dig they get a nice wee jag in the paw it works very well it,s a bit time consuming but works wonders hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Plastic disposable forks stuck into the soil upside down will stop them using it as a litter tray.

I've also heard that men's urine keeps them away so start marking your territory.

That all seems like hard work though. And you also risk injuring yourself and making your garden look .... Like plastic forks have been stuck everywhere..

livinsane wrote: »
    Plastic disposable forks stuck into the soil upside down will stop them using it as a litter tray.

I've also heard that men's urine keeps them away so start marking your territory.

A few calls from shocked neighbours,and 2 garda cars suddenly pull up outside and theres the husband whizzing away in the garden.

"Afternoon gard,just keeping the cats at bay,lovely day by the way"....:pac::pac::pac::D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sure i take a leak in the back garden all the time. there's a spot hidden behind the leylandii.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the legal position on cats anyway, in say a context where a neighbour's cat is killing my pigeons?
    a farmer would be able to shoot a dog worrying his sheep.

i'm not trying to stir - we have a cat of our own, albeit a house cat. asking out of genuine curiosity.

sure i take a leak in the back garden all the time. there's a spot hidden behind the leylandii.

Outdoor composting toilet???:pac:

pretty much - the previous owner had piled up a load of cuttings from the leylandii; mainly brown waste, so i'm adding some nitrogen back.

• Advertisement

what's the legal position on cats anyway, in say a context where a neighbour's cat is killing my pigeons?
    a farmer would be able to shoot a dog worrying his sheep.

i'm not trying to stir - we have a cat of our own, albeit a house cat. asking out of genuine curiosity.

Im fairly sure if you were caught harming a household pet, you would be fairly hammered by animal rights people and the press. I would not go there if I where you.

There must be other non lethal options. A rat trap or the like.

You will cause war with your next door neighbours if you harm the cat.
    The cat is only being a cat after all. Hateful as they are.

brokenarms wrote: »
    Im fairly sure if you were caught harming a household pet, you would be fairly hammered by animal rights people and the press. I would not go there if I where you.
    you mean with the debate? i'm absolutely not going to harm a cat.
    i was just wondering what the law says if my neighbour's pet is killing my pet (and i'm not a pigeon owner); what recourse do i have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

What about keeping dogs off a newly sowed lawn? Any tips?

Advertisement