Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scallops - what to have with them?

Options
  • 16-02-2011 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 65,497 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Pan frying some scallops tonight in butter. What to have with them?

It's the main course and we're not having starters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Saffron Risotto is the classic accompaniment to scallops for an entree, here's the recipe
    http://www.recipejoint.com/recipe-rice/saffron-risotto-with-sea-scallops.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

unkel wrote: »
    Pan frying some scallops tonight in butter. What to have with them?

It's the main course and we're not having starters

I reckon a good bottle of wine per person and some more scallops. I don't see the need for anything else. Some writers suggest that where there are juices to be mopped up then a green salad helps to stop the less dignified behaviour that might otherwise take place. Will you be among very good friends?

Restaurants put carbohydrates and cheaper things with delicious things like scallops so that we feel sufficiently full after eating without it costing them too much. When eating at home we can please ourselves as to what we eat with the nice things. A balanced diet is a good thing - but each meal doesn't have to be balanced.

I love risotto - I had one for my supper last night, and it had saffron in it as well - but I don't see the need to put them with scallops in a domestic setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,497 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Risotto is a great idea! I don't have saffron and I'd be afraid to actually cook the scallops in the risotto (I find it hard to correctly estimate the risotto cooking time), but you've given me something to work with. A quick google shows up someone pan frying scallops after dusting them in dried porcini powder. Could serve that with a mixed mushroom risotto!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

A gorgeous combination is scallops with black pudding and butternut squash puree - delish!

Black pudding sounds like a good partner for scallops. Both with their own unique texture! I have black pudding in the house but nothing to make a special puree with, except maybe peas?

Keep the suggestions coming :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Have you the shells? We sometimes have scallops with mushrooms ( usually use mixed dried but any kind) with a white wine and shallot sauce served in the shell with a light dusting of grated mild cheese on top & grilled bubbling brown. On the side a light green salad with a simple dressing of olive oil and lemon ( the lemon is wonderful with the scallops) and some crusty bread to mop up the sauce. Sometimes put a few other bits in there like mussels, prawns but it's not necessary.

(I find it hard to correctly estimate the risotto cooking time),
    If youre finding it hard, then just do the scallops at the end. When your risotto is ready, throw a couple of lumps of butter in and put the lid back on (this will allow the risotto to relax, v important) and by the time you've seared the scallops everything will be ready to rock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Black pudding sounds like a good partner for scallops. Both with their own unique texture! I have black pudding in the house but nothing to make a special puree with, except maybe peas?

Keep the suggestions coming :)

Pea puree & black pudding is a classic accompaniment for scallops, you're sorted right there.

Right! Powdered some dried porcini mushrooms in the food processor and coated the scallops in the porcini powder. Cooked some risotto and added chopped button mushrooms and a little bit of the porcini powder. Pan fried the scallops. Plated up the risotto with the scallops on top and dressed with freshly grated parmesan. Very nice indeed :D

And I'm neither a fan of risotto nor scallops. Well I wasn't until now :D

Thanks everyone, I'll be doing the scallop, black pudding and pea / butternut squash or celeriac puree the next time!

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Pea puree & black pudding is a classic accompaniment for scallops, you're sorted right there.
    or as a soup like I did at work the other day
    heres a photo
    photoet.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement
Advertisement