Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair & Surfboards

Options
  • 16-02-2011 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Has anybody had experience bringing boards with ryanair?

Heading to France in April for a week and dont want to face renting boards for the week, but I'm a bit cautious about bringing the board with ryanair though.

Opinions welcome!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

It will be fine, once you don't mind paying whatever fee it is to bring it with you..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

All air lines are the same, take the fins off, put pipe insulation along the rails, stiff card board on the deck and bottom, wrape it in bouble wrape, make sure it fits in your board bag. Then check the weight, you can add toweles, wetsuit... for extra padding.

When you get to the air port on the other side find a quite corner and un pack it make sure to keep the packing, check for dammage if there is any repoort it there but don't expect much compensation. It's a good idea to bring load of tape for on the way home and an extra bag for anything you packed in the board bag.

Enjoy France

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

You should also consider renting, some good boards available quite cheap:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

great packaging advice above, also remember to take the leash off and store carefully, i forgot once and was left with an impression of it on the deck afterwards! People still getting away with two boards in a bag these days? many's a sweaty moment was had in line checking them in :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

40 eur each way for a surfboard with Ryanair is nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Shane_OK

I've bought a SOMA airbag,bit bulky for everyday carrying around but if you're worried about your boards getting damaged and are willing to pay then id say theyre worth it.
    They do double bags aswell.€40 each way is nuts though,if you had a board each then splitting the €40 wouldnt be too bad.

48908.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf3XQbZDUuc

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

They damaged my board.

Impact on the tail and a small pressure ding about halfway up.

I have had some pretty bad luck with several different airlines though, ryanair are no worse than anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 36 unluckyforsome

Cheers for the advice lads,
    I'd say renting will be the way to go, the prices aren't much more than ryanairs charges and i dont have to risk my board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

i brought over bodyboards - paid 50e each way - no damage and no problems but i took the time to protect the boards - still, i think it was very expensive and for that price plus a few quid i could have had just bought another board and leave it there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

i brought over bodyboards - paid 50e each way - no damage and no problems but i took the time to protect the boards - still, i think it was very expensive and for that price plus a few quid i could have had just bought another board and leave it there

Usually the surf shop / place that you bought it off will give you something for it / buy it back from you ( at half price or whatever ) at the end of your holiday, if you ask them nicely.

50 euro carriage each way on a bodyboard is way too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

i thought the same - was the first time traveling with sports equipment in ryanair - with aerlingus i never had to pay for bodyboards, as they go as out-of-size bags

i have my bodyboards custom made given my weight and height so returning wasn't really an option - i should have thought about that before i go on holidays back home and have a board ready for me there (which i have now :D)

Advertisement