Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postmaster Councilor doesn't seem to know price of a stamp

Options
  • 16-02-2011 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

anyone read this in the Sentinel yesterday.

A certain postmaster in the labour party sent a letter to a paper - when the letter arrived it had a sticker on it saying that the letter was delayed due to insufficient postage.

The councilor in questions RUNS A POST OFFICE.

Doesn't bode well for trying to run the country if they can't do their own job properly :D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Was it Councilor Billy Cameron? He runs a post office on Newcastle Road. I'm not sure if he's still a councilor anymore though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

He is a councillor and he could have handed a letter into the Sentinel just as quick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

ya it must be him if he runs the newcastle post office. maybe he was just saving his pennies :D

Was this really a newsworthy story?

Was this really a newsworthy story?

Well the reporter seems to think so. Just goes to show who we have representing us - they don't seem to be able to do their day jobs properly so how on earth can they try and run a country. just highlights the fact that these guys are no better than anyone else (although they seem to think they are).

• Advertisement

Well the reporter seems to think so. Just goes to show who we have representing us - they don't seem to be able to do their day jobs properly so how on earth can they try and run a country. just highlights the fact that these guys are no better than anyone else (although they seem to think they are).

So people aren't allowed to make mistakes then? Jaysis.

i guess we should be thankful he's not a brain surgeon.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

they don't seem to be able to do their day jobs properly so how on earth can they try and run a country.

Billy Cameron is a counciler not a TD so he is not responsible for running the country, he sits on a panel that represents and proposes local issues to the City Manager. If the Labour Party thought he was good enough to become a TD they would have put him forward for the upcoming election as he topped the poll in 2009 locals, but they obviously don't think he is. If true it was a bit stupid of him from a professional point of view to make that mistake. Looks to me though that the author has a problem with him because its definately not something that should be published.

Billy Cameron is a counciler not a TD so he is not responsible for running the country, he sits on a panel that represents and proposes local issues to the City Manager. If the Labour Party thought he was good enough to become a TD they would have put him forward for the upcoming election as he topped the poll in 2009 locals, but they obviously don't think he is. If true it was a bit stupid of him from a professional point of view to make that mistake. Looks to me though that the author has a problem with him because its definately not something that should be published.

I dont' have a problem with him at all (well no more than any other councilor or wannabe TD) - but I did think it made for an enlightened read that he didn't know the basics of his job. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

I dont' have a problem with him at all (well no more than any other councilor or wannabe TD) - but I did think it made for an enlightened read that he didn't know the basics of his job. :D
    I agree he shouldnt have made that mistake but it had nothing to do with him being a councillor, it was foolish from a postmaster point of view, I did find it amusing though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

OP where is it? Had a flick and cant find the article. Sure it was this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

OP where is it? Had a flick and cant find the article. Sure it was this week?

I saw it too. It was on page 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I suspect he may have given the Trib some gip for not publishing his letter 'on time' and this is how they got back at him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

In fairness, it could happen to anybody, even a postmaster, it's an honest mistake. I had a load of letters franked at the post office, told that they would be fine at the usual rate(they even double checked this) and it turned out that in fact they didn't have adequate postage on them at all. The post office said they were fine, the sorting office said otherwise; sh*t happens.

Shouldn't be a news story at IMO, more in the paper's line to focus on something more important.

In fairness, it could happen to anybody, even a postmaster, it's an honest mistake. I had a load of letters franked at the post office, told that they would be fine at the usual rate(they even double checked this) and it turned out that in fact they didn't have adequate postage on them at all. The post office said they were fine, the sorting office said otherwise; sh*t happens.

Shouldn't be a news story at IMO, more in the paper's line to focus on something more important.

well I guess if the postmasters dont know they job how do you expect the run of the mill worker to know his job - maybe that person dealing with you was trained at the newcastle post office :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

This is like 10 Watergates, the Pulitzer prizes will rain down for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

well I guess if the postmasters dont know they job how do you expect the run of the mill worker to know his job - maybe that person dealing with you was trained at the newcastle post office :D

Hello, Mr Mountain, have you met Mr Molehill?

It must be wonderful to be the sort of person that is so perfect that they never makes a mistake. Truly. :rolleyes:

Advertisement