Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Look KEO easy vs Shimano PDM 520

• 16-02-2011 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭

Bought my first pair of decent shoes the other week. Sidi Genius (the cheapest ones!). I've had Shimano pedals (PDM 520) on my PX for the last year and I really like them, but I was told the shoes aren't compatible so I went with Look KEO - the easy resistance ones.

First spin with the shoes and the new pedals last weekend. I'm in love with the Sidis and want to wear them to bed... but I really really hate the pedals. The fact that I could only clip in on one side annoyed me massively.

Anyone know if there is some kind of adaptor for the Sidis to fit the Shimano pedals?

And yes, I know I should HTFU and get on with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

You are loosing the benefit of road shoes by using them with SPD style pedals. To get the best power transfer you need a stiff sole, which the shoe will have and also a solid stable platform for the shoe. i.e. the pedals. The whole point of the road ones is that you clip in and stay clipped in.

If you want double sided road pedals, then Speedplay do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Thanks Raam. Will have a look at the Speedplays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

The fact that I very nearly did a spectacular spud fall the time we went out on a spin together probably means I shouldn't comment but...

...give them a chance. They aren't ideal for traffic light land but you get used to them pretty quickly. They come into their own on the open road.

:)

I replicated your 'wobble and recover' move for move last Sunday coming up to lights on the N11. Had just done 75k without incident though so as you say it's probably just practice.

See you for a spin soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Raam wrote: »
    You are loosing the benefit of road shoes by using them with SPD style pedals.
    How much of a difference is there?
    I've switched from spd's to road pedals and can't tell the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I don't think I can measure the difference on any particular scale ;)

I find the road pedals more comfortable along with a more secure engagement.

No doubt there are power figures out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭cython

nomadic wrote: »
    How much of a difference is there?
    I've switched from spd's to road pedals and can't tell the difference.

I switched from SPD to SPD-SL recently, while keeping the same shoes, and I have to say I do find an improvement. I first tried SPD's with road shoes, and found that on longer spins, especially those involving climbs around Wicklow where even in my lowest gear there is stiff resistance, the small cleat seemed to concentrate pressure on one point of my foot too much, leading to discomfort and loss of sensation in the toes. I switched to the wider, more distributed SPD-SLs recently, and while I haven't done some of the worst offending routes yet, what I have done has been more comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

daragh_ wrote: »
    Bought my first pair of decent shoes the other week. Sidi Genius (the cheapest ones!). I've had Shimano pedals (PDM 520) on my PX for the last year and I really like them, but I was told the shoes aren't compatible so I went with Look KEO - the easy resistance ones.

First spin with the shoes and the new pedals last weekend. I'm in love with the Sidis and want to wear them to bed... but I really really hate the pedals. The fact that I could only clip in on one side annoyed me massively.

Anyone know if there is some kind of adaptor for the Sidis to fit the Shimano pedals?

And yes, I know I should HTFU and get on with it.

I use Keos for commuting in London. You get used to them (if one side clip in is what annoys you). Just bear with it rather than buying anything new. I rarely even have to clip out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The road systems do "feel" more solidly supported/connected and it is more difficult to disengage accidentally, when sprinting for example. It is not a huge difference IMO if you are using the similarly stiff shoes. I use a road system on my racing bikes but SPD everywhere else, for the convenience (double sided and recessed cleat.) Having said that, I wouldn't try to use road shoes with a SPD cleat- the cleat will protrude, unlike a SPD shoe, and walking won't be any easier which is the main benefit of SPD on a road bike to start with.

I've been using the SPDs on a pair of B-Twin road shoes that kenmac gave me last year and have had no issues TBH.

Also have SPD pedals on my Plug which I use for commuting.

I'll stick with the Looks on the PX for now and see how I get on. Thanks all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement