Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genzyme bought out by Sanofi-Aventis SA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

20 Billion!!!!! Serious money. Like mike I couldn't see this effecting Waterford one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

ziedth wrote: »
    20 Billion!!!!! Serious money. Like mike I couldn't see this effecting Waterford one way or the other.

I wonder if the Aventis workers in Waterford thought the same when Sanofi bought Aventis?

Edit: IMO, /Edit. they only really want the rights to the products, they'll shut down Waterford if they can do it cheaper on their other sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I think people need to be very careful about speculation here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Mike65 are you one person or a team of people?
    You appear to operate 24/7.
    I know its off-topic but some questions need answering goddamnit

Most of what gets written on boards is speculation. We'd have very little to talk about if we couldn't speculate.

What I posted was just something that happens and what could happen.

• Advertisement

deisedevil wrote: »
    Most of what gets written on boards is speculation. We'd have very little to talk about if we couldn't speculate.

What I posted was just something that happens and what could happen.
    I'd tend to agree with this,

just to be careful like ATBB said because this is a way that rumors can happen and rumors about a any place shutting down (let alone genzyme) are not good and can snowball.

at the risk of being pedantic you might edit your post to include "In my opinion" or "i think"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Make yourself a mod now ATBB??:D

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Make yourself a mod now ATBB??:D

I'd go mad with power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

I wonder if the Aventis workers in Waterford thought the same when Sanofi bought Aventis?

They only really want the rights to the products, they'll shut down Waterford if they can do it cheaper on their other sites.
    Exactly,
    tho that's sum factory out there &
    the natropharm place was tiny compared....

I'd tend to agree with this,

just to be careful like ATBB said because this is a way that rumors can happen and rumors about a any place shutting down (let alone genzyme) are not good and can snowball.

at the risk of being pedantic you might edit your post to include "In my opinion" or "i think"

Edited post.

The rumours are flying anyway and I seriously doubt that a speculative post I make here could lead to a rumor that would cause any risk to jobs in Genzyme. If Sanofi-Aventis have plans they will carry them out regardless of what rumours are about in waterford. But in the interests of keeping the peace I'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that,

Outside of the "jobs in Waterford" thread we don't allow posts of any rumours. It's just playing it safe, ya know?

Consider we obviously couldn't allow a post saying a small company in town employing 12 people is going under. That could lead to suppliers stopping credit, lenders calling in loans or stopping customers. Although your of course right in saying we wouldn't effect Genzyme with such a rumour, it can't be one rule for a big company and ond rule for another.

In any event, cheers again :)

No decisions on anything til April. Some people could be moved to France...some people could be laid off...or everyone will keep their job. Either way though, there's a new regime in control so there will be some changes.

From someone who was at the meetings today.

Cheers for that,

Outside of the "jobs in Waterford" thread we don't allow posts of any rumours. It's just playing it safe, ya know?

Consider we obviously couldn't allow a post saying a small company in town employing 12 people is going under. That could lead to suppliers stopping credit, lenders calling in loans or stopping customers. Although your of course right in saying we wouldn't effect Genzyme with such a rumour, it can't be one rule for a big company and ond rule for another.

In any event, cheers again :)

Ah right. I totally understand now. Makes perfect sense.

Plus in this day and age, imagine a worried husband or wife of someone who works there reading these rumours...could provoke unnecessary panic.

Plus in this day and age, imagine a worried husband or wife of someone who works there reading these rumours...could provoke unnecessary panic.

Nah, I wouldn't be bothered about that. I didnt post a rumour, just a thought on what could happen. You'd want to be mad to get in a panic over someones opinion of what might happen written on boards and it would be your own fault if you let that affect you. But it makes sense about small business' potentially getting affected due to something written on here.

Is Genzyme the 2nd largest employer behind TalkTalk in Waterford city or is there any bigger does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Is Genzyme the 2nd largest employer behind TalkTalk in Waterford city or is there any bigger does anyone know?
    Genzyme only have around 400 employees so is maybe 5th or 6th largest employer. TalkTalk have about 700, Teva had about 800 but now down to 400 I think, Rigney Dolphin about 900, Bausch & Lomb over 1100, hospital maybe around 2000, Hasbro up around 1000 I think, Honeywell well over 1000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Are you speculating about speculation?

dayshah wrote: »
    Are you speculating about speculation?

Are you speculating about me speculating about speculation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Genzyme only have around 400 employees so is maybe 5th or 6th largest employer. TalkTalk have about 700, Teva had about 800 but now down to 400 I think, Rigney Dolphin about 900, Bausch & Lomb over 1100, hospital maybe around 2000, Hasbro up around 1000 I think, Honeywell well over 1000.

Theres no way that Hasbro has 1000 employees, even at their most busy during the 90's there was about 800 employees during the summer and 500 during the winter and there have been some big redundancy sweeps there over the last 10 years, I'd say theres at most about 400 there now.

After the current events in AOL/TalkTalk I'd say theres about 600 people at most and I'd seriously doubt 1000 jobs in Honeywell, probably not even half that I'd say.

Theres no way that Hasbro has 1000 employees, even at their most busy during the 90's there was about 800 employees during the summer and 500 during the winter and there have been some big redundancy sweeps there over the last 10 years, I'd say theres at most about 400 there now.

After the current events in AOL/TalkTalk I'd say theres about 600 people at most and I'd seriously doubt 1000 jobs in Honeywell, probably not even half that I'd say.

Hasbro were down to 300 back in 2006 so they couldn't be much more than that now.

I can't see there being 1000 in Honeywell either.

I forgot about how large Bausch and Lomb still are.

Unemployment levels in Waterford are right down there with the worst in Ireland at the moment. God forbid any of the bigger companies wrap things up.

From talking to taxi drivers, small shops, electricians, plumbers and all sorts of other trades, the knock on effect of the job losses in factories and the like has seen business elsewhere suffer greatly in Waterford.

• Advertisement

I was only recalling those figures from memory so might be out a bit since the redundancies in the past few years. I was way off on Hasbro - they have about 380 employees. There's actually 3 separate divisions of Honeywell, I think they have about 600 employees in one of them, or perhaps that's the combined total across the 3 divisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Rigney Dolphin about 900,

How would Rigney Dolphin employ 900 people?

How would Rigney Dolphin employ 900 people?
    http://www.rigneydolphin.ie/about.html

Although that could be spread across all their call centres, I'm fairly sure I've seen it reported in local press that they employ near that amount in Waterford. Maybe someone on Boards who works there knows the exact number employed in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Hopefully this is not another TEVA, big companies are just ruthless although in fairness TEVA changed hands about 3 or 4 time before is actually became TEVA.

Advertisement