Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Branches on property interfering with ESB and P&T cables

Options
  • 16-02-2011 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

May be wrong section...

Have taken charge, under court order, of a house on its own grounds that has overground ESB and P&T cables from the boundary to the house.

Both sets of cables are passing through trees and I am concerned they will damage/break the cables.

Just wonder who is responsible for clearing the trees away and who pays.

AFAIK the ESB cables are sheathed from the pole to the house.

I am minded to take the trees out entirely rather than just a trimming

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

ESB will clear a metre radius around their own conductors, generally speaking. Give the local office a shout and ask to speak to the Customer Services Supervisor.

Eircom won't, and seldom act unless the line is lying on the ditch. That's not the fault of their staff, it's a matter of resources, ever scarcer since the company was asset stripped by venture capitalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

ESB will clear their own lines, or at least they'll get contractors to do it. I wouldn't advise you to go anywhere near them yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The other difference is that the ESB lines are carrying dangerous voltages that could kill you or cause fires.

The eircom lines (btw: P&T disappeared 28 years ago in 1983, younger posters may not even know what it means anymore :) ) are only carrying up to 48V DC so they're not exactly life-threatening.

eircom may clear the trees *if* the lines are serving more than just that house.
    If not, they will probably tell you to trim the trees yourself if you enjoy having a telephone / DSL service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

One of my neighbours has a row of very high trees on his side which have also grown outwards over the years onto my side of the boundary.

As a result they're blocking the light from some trees I planted a few years ago and I know that I'm entitled to cut any overhanging branches on my side.

The only problem is that there's an Eircom line running all the way through the trees for the length of the boundary (80 metres) on my side. It serves the house of a different neighbour.

From what I read above it's unlikely that Eircom will move it so I can't do anything.... unless I'm willing to go ahead and inflict death by 1000 cuts on the line!

Any advice on my options?

Advertisement