Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Workplace Parking Place?

• 16-02-2011 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭

Im figuring a lot of you dont conform to the proper workplace designated parking areas.
    Has anyone got any cool, cheeky, non-conformist alternative entrances to their workplace!?.

My own is that i cycle straight into the underground car park and use a connecting basement door that leads to my workplace. Luckily i can bring it right in. On the way home its up the ramp of the basement carpark with the barrier opening automatically and away i go!.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I am not the most cool or cheeky person you will meet. I am also suspicious of non-conformity. However, I do regularly cycle down the ramp into my work car park, thereby giving two fingers to "the man" who put up the "cyclists please dismount before using ramp" sign. I'm mad, me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I come in through the undergroud carpark - I just wait until someone comes along and then tailgate them in - in the morning I rarely have to wait for longer than five mins.

Up in the lifts.

Bike is in the office behind me.

in the evening straight through the lobby and out the front door.

However, I always make sure my bike is dry and I always carry it when in the building.

HR, the H&S Officer and Security have all adversely commented on this but as of yet I've not been instructed to desist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Here's my parking space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I am not the most cool or cheeky person you will meet. I am also suspicious of non-conformity. However, I do regularly cycle down the ramp into my work car park, thereby giving two fingers to "the man" who put up the "cyclists please dismount before using ramp" sign. I'm mad, me.
    I hate those signs.

I remember one of the car parks in Eastpoint Business Park had a sign telling cyclists they had to walk through. I asked around, and it turned out that a cyclist had been hit by a car reversing out of a space. This usually happens when a cyclists keeps too far to the left, but I don't know whether that applied here.

Firstly, the sign should have warned motorists to watch out for cyclists in the car park. Secondly, a cyclist wheeling a bike can also be hit by reversing motorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I hate those signs.

I remember one of the car parks in Eastpoint Business Park had a sign telling cyclists they had to walk through. I asked around, and it turned out that a cyclist had been hit by a car reversing out of a space. This usually happens when a cyclists keeps too far to the left, but I don't know whether that applied here.

Firstly, the sign should have warned motorists to watch out for cyclists in the car park. Secondly, a cyclist wheeling a bike can also be hit by reversing motorists.

A lot of underground car parks are surfaced with concrete which has no grip at all for bike tires when wet. I thought I was being clever when I ignored the sign in our workplace till I went tumbling over one day when it was wet and hurt myself quite badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

penexpers wrote: »
    A lot of underground car parks are surfaced with concrete which has no grip at all for bike tires when wet. I thought I was being clever when I ignored the sign in our workplace till I went tumbling over one day when it was wet and hurt myself quite badly.

Yeah i know the type of slippery concrete your talking about even when its dry i get the impression you need to keep the weight in the centre of the bike and not slant too much or turn too quick.They must use this surface in underground or multi car parks for a good reason i dont know about. Maybe theyre getting cheap on us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I walk across the shop floor and take it to the back stairs. There it's hung up over the bannister where it bothers no-one. I'll take a picture later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Our underground car park had a concrete floor

So on a wet morning on the moped I'd take a sharp turn, flick the throttle and the back wheel used to skid out and screech.
    Evel Knievel would have been impressed :cool:
    Made bits of my tyre eventually though.

Used to do the same on the bicycle when the tyres were wet
    Fly down the ramp, take the sharp turn and try to pull a skid.

Only thing that broke up my day from the monotony of that lousy job :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

carry mine upstairs and park it in a semi ripped out (unoccupied) office - next door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Thats why ive taken this new route in. Because the biddy in charge of the area ive always carried it through is newly renovated. I only need to walk 8 steps through a foyer area but she always acts like shes having kittens whenever she see's me carrying it through. Her last performance which was much more steely and determined it was cringing. She;d be the type to complain to H&S even though its only her floor shes worried about!. So i said screw that and thought of another way. I cant believe i only thought of the underground entrance up untill now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement