Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last months rent/half deposit question.

Options
  • 16-02-2011 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

So the girl I am renting a house with wants to leave a month early from the contract we have with the landlords and leave her full half of the deposit with them.

My question is, can I stay on for the last month and pay my half of the rent and get my half of the deposit back in full? Our landlords is a bit difficult so I am wondering can they ask/make me pay
    the full months rent or am I in my full rights to say for the last month as they can use her deposit to cover her last months rent.

Thanks!

EDIT: Or would I be better to cut my losses and lose my deposit, as electricity is in her name and I would be taking over that bill for one month and then have to cancel and could get a cancelation fee for that too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

From my understanding LL's dont like to use the deposit for the last months rent.

I believe the reason is if there is damage to the property and the tenant has left the LL will be out of pocket.

As for the bills, I d say settle up with your housemate before she goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

From my understanding LL's dont like to use the deposit for the last months rent.

I believe the reason is if there is damage to the property and the tenant has left the LL will be out of pocket.

As for the bills, I d say settle up with your housemate before she goes.

The deposit was €425 each and €50 each extra for "just in case".
    So they have extra money if anything is wrong with the place, even though there is nothing broken except for a small lamp that I got a replacment for already. It was a cheap lamp that broke and we still have it in the house.

As far as I know from the tennents rights the deposit is always our money and is just to hold the place and for any damages that may happen over the time we stay in the place.

I am thinking to just leave with my friend and forget about the deposit. The more I think about it the more worried I am that the landlord with take all my deposit and I will be left with nothing. So get out while I can. The house is pretty bad and we both wanted out since October last due to freezing draughts and paper thin walls and fences not being fixed since xmas etc.

But since housemate is leaving the country and I am not, can they chace me for last months rent since they have my employers details even though they will have full months rent AND an extra €100 to cover anything that is broken in the place even though everything is as was when we moved in in july?

I just want to move on with my life from this house and it makes sense to just leave deposit as last months rent but i just want to be 100% sure on all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

If you don't pay your last months rent the landlord can bring you to the PRTB to get the last month out of you.

Has your friend notified the landlord that she's leaving early?

No she has not, she just decided she is leaving a month early last week and its been playing on my mind as to what I should/could do for the final month when a friend of mine said to me to tell the landlord that housemate has forfeited her deposit and I should stay on for the last month and get my half of the deposit back.

Housemate does not really give a sh!t about her deposit as she is leaving the county never to come back here again, shes not from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Couldn't you just pay her last months rent (if you can afford it) and then get back the whole deposit. Then you wouldn't be out of pocket at all and you wouldn't have to worry about defaulting on your lease.

You will essentially be getting back her last months rent, which you paid, as her deposit.

Just make sure that there won't be a problem getting back the full deposit or you will be out of pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭alanacadia

Hi , from a landlords point of view, if your landlord has not updated or repiared the place, in my opinion, I think you will have a major headache trying to get your deposit back,.
    Im my case if a tennant does a runner, I would not bother chasing them especially if I alredy have a months rent in advance, but do not make this mistake, and leave without letting the landlord know i-e like let him know after you have left or asap after you have left dont assume he will know you have left because that actually gives him grounds to take you to court, but like I alredy said, if the tennant is gone, there is no pont in a landlord holding onto an empty property, I would want to rent out asap, in order to keep that money coming through.
    So leave when it suits you but make sure the day after you have left that a letter , pref registerd is sent to his or her postal address, to say you have vacated, and also make sure all the bills are taken out of your name or if there not in your name then you have no problem.

As regards Refrence, a lot of landlords would not even bother , today money talks, now that is my expierience and my opinion. ok cheers and good luck

Thanks for that alanacadia!

After thinking about it, I think the best thing is to stay the extra month on my own and pay housemates share and get as much of the deposit back as I can. Since its only Feb now I can save up for the extra months rent.
    I rang the electricity company and they said housemate can cancel and I can take it up under my name anytime and there would be no cancellation fee when I cancel it too.

Just that the Housemates bed cracked a few months ago and landlord refused to fix or replace it so she fixed it the best she could, so they have that extra €100 on top of the deposit too so if they take that or a little more I would understand and cut my losses with that.

Why do landlords make things very difficult and try to keep as much of your deposit?

Advertisement